Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Fake PSA labelled 1993 SP Jeter sold for 10K?

82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

Happened across an auction for a 1993 SP Jeter allegedly in PSA9. Seemed to have a 9999.99 buy-it-now which is 10K or so below going rate. Someone probably thought they got a steal of price, but instead are likley a victim of fraud.

font on label looks very wrong, so too does the barcode :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/393312865854?hash=item5b93460e3e:g:W~UAAOSwI9lgmvH6&nma=true&si=j1P0Zm1xqcNFJlbq%2Bils44aBdnw%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Past sale of cert number used - font on this label looks fine, barcode perfect as well:

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprices/baseball-cards/1993-sp/derek-jeter/auction/2605881721711264301

People who get scammed tend to lose enthusiasm and in today's day and age can spread the word rather easily as they exit the hobby.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

Comments

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

I agree -- good catch those are NOT the same labels.

Is there any way to contact eBay to prevent this crime from moving forward? Maybe they can put a hold on the funds (if already paid) and lock down the seller's account until this can be sorted out.

• Options
    DotStoreDotStore Posts: 701 ✭✭✭✭

Forgot to mention, when I tried to "Report this Item", I got the following message from eBay (maybe you cannot report an item that has sold???)

We are not able to process your message now.
    Please contact eBay Customer Service.

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Good catch.
    ebay better get on board with card market integrity

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

Look at those top corners. Clearly not a 9.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I thought ebay had recently implemented a system where a sports card that sells for 10,000 and up must first pass through an intermediate assessor for audit during shipping? In which case, the listing price on the fraud item would seem to be circumventing this safety measure by intentional design?

• Options
    paulb71paulb71 Posts: 288 ✭✭✭✭

whoever did fake this, or if it is fake used the same certification number as the real deal Jeter card. .

https://www.psacard.com/cert/22304379

• Options
    edited May 12, 2021 11:48AM

@miwlvrn said:
    I thought ebay had recently implemented a system where a sports card that sells for 10,000 and up must first pass through an intermediate assessor for audit during shipping? In which case, the listing price on the fraud item would seem to be circumventing this safety measure by intentional design?

Now that explains the 9999.99 BIN. Whatever dollar amount is a triggers will alway's be bypassed by a single US cent.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2021 9:11AM

@paulb71 said:
    whoever did fake this, or if it is fake used the same certification number as the real deal Jeter card. .

https://www.psacard.com/cert/22304379

Yes, That is where I obtained the 2nd pic in the first post. PSA does a very nice job in providing ability to research! Kudos' offered.

I see the same seller also did with 2 1989 UD Griffey Jr cards.

It is really this easy to get away with these type of scams? The dollar amount of the alledged larceny on the Jeter firmly places it in the felony range in all 50 States in the USA.

What I cant figure out is why they simply did not copy and paste over the exact text font and barcode included? I also wonder if the person will receive a real card or a printed scan? Regardless it's bad for the hobby either way as word of costly scams spread around will damper enthusiasm.

• Options
    pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just added this seller to my blocked list.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2021 10:50AM

@pab1969 said:
    Just added this seller to my blocked list.

I'd guess they will soon move on to another ID that has already been "cultivated"

While eBay can't police every auction there really needs to be a mechanism for easily reporting potential fraud after a listing closes. Ultimately their reputation will take a hit as these cases become publicized. There is a lot of money for eBay to make with graded cards but less so if serious buyers or sellers are scared away, not sure how their recent changes to trading cards listing helps with that.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭✭

@DotStore said:
    Forgot to mention, when I tried to "Report this Item", I got the following message from eBay (maybe you cannot report an item that has sold???)

Same here, some kind of glitch I think.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    edited May 12, 2021 11:45AM

@Ahmanfan said:

@DotStore said:

Same here, some kind of glitch I think.

Same here and I got that on a still open listing as well when I tried early this week.

• Options

nice disclaimer, yeah all kinds of psa 10 griffeys floating around storage buildings

"1989 ken griffey jr psa 10. Condition is "Brand New". Shipped with USPS First Class. Great buy!!!

Card was purchased in a storage building sale out. I can not guarantee this item due to not knowing alot about the business. All sales are final and no returns."