Home Sports Talk

How good is Max Scherzer

emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

I enjoy reading thru everyone's commentary so I'll add one:

Where does Max fall within the all-time greats and does he have a good shot at the HOF?
An all-time great might be a stretch but 3 Cy Youngs is definitely something to write home about.
Not a fan of the Nats but I have a lot of respect for great pitching especially those that can finish out their career racking up wins & strikeouts.

Comments

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very, very good pitcher.

Certainly looks like the voters for Cy Young Award like him, 7 straight year in the top 5.
    A quick look kind of has me scratching my head over his wins in 2013 over Sanchez, 2016 I don't understand at all. He certainly deserved it the next year.

Not quite enough innings pitched imo to be a HOFer, but he's getting close.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

Never heard of him.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Max is a blast to watch pitch. He just needs to stay healthy

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • orioles93orioles93 Posts: 3,463 ✭✭✭✭✭

Still pitching extremely well at 36. He has 3 CYs and top 5 in voting 4 other times, led the league in wins 4 times, 20th all time in strikeouts. Also has pitched fairly well in the postseason through his career. I think he’s already a slam dunk HOFer, and he’s probably gonna add to his numbers over the next few years. Will most likely reach top 10 all time in strikeouts by the time he’s done.

What I Collect:

PSA HOF Baseball Postwar Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 77.97% Complete)

PSA Pro Football HOF Rookie Players Set Registry- (Currently 19.26% Complete)

PSA Basketball HOF Players Rookies Set Registry- (Currently 6.02% Complete)
  • TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a HOFer at this point. 3 CYAs and a runner-up finish. Already more good years than Sandy Koufax. He'll get in, no problem.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭✭

HOF pitcher

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Max is a HOF worthy player. Very very good pitcher. He wont have thrown enough innings to rank in the inner circle, but great none the less.

He also has a set of HOF eyes.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,391 ✭✭✭✭✭

Max Scherzer's new dog has two different colored eyes just like him | FOX  Sports

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

Classic Mad Max.
    (sorry, I couldn't bleep the f-bomb from the Jomboy video. Hope that's ok)

https://youtube.com/watch?v=LXm2HJZB6hk

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

^^^^^^^^

Love

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭

A bit of a late bloomer. His peak is right there with most post WWII all time greats. Tremendous combination of velocity and command once he put it together. Elite stuff and elite results.

Scherzer peak was:
    2013-2019: ERA+ 148. IP 1,485. WHIP 0.981. SO/BB 5.35.
    In that time he led the league in IP three times, strikeouts 3 times, WHIP 3 times, and SO/BB four times. Three Cy Young awards not too shabby.

Seaver Peak:
    1969-1975; ERA+ 146. IP 1,918. WHIP 1.054. SO/BB 3.25.

Only thing separating him and Seaver in their peaks is 433 innings, but Scherzer has him beat everywhere else so that helps close the gap.

Scherzer won't have the innings of an all time MLB pitcher because of the era he pitches in....but he will have them beat in a lot of other areas.

Clear HOFer and one of the absolute best of his generation during his peak.

Took him a few years to get it going to an all star level...but he has a lot left in the tank. Covid cost him some innings. He may have a good three years left at a pretty high level. Time will tell how he ages and that will determine a lot of course.

• bumpskierbumpskier Posts: 64 ✭✭

I think Scherzer will continue to pitch well for the next few years and end up with 3715 Ks and 217 Wins. The Tigers were crazy letting him go and instead paying busts Anibel Sanchez and Jordan Zimmerman big bucks. Scherzer signed for 7 years for 210 Million but much of that money is deferred so it was really like 25MM per year on an NPV basis. Jordan Zimmerman got 22MM a year from the Tigers and was a complete bust. Scherzer was a finance major in college and his brother who he was very close to and committed suicide in 2012 was a stockbroker at Morgan Stanlley or Merrill Lynch and a big fan of Sabermetrics. Scherzer would have resigned with the TIgers if they made him a strong offer, but they didn't .