Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

glad i moved away from ebay...

blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

so glad they did the managed payments thing and ruined my experience.

seems like they are up to it again w the new changes they announced & enacted today. primarily the new search/listing criteria.

and they wonder why their stock price is in free fall.

hopefully other companies take heed.

keep your customers in the dark about changes, make it unnecessarily harder on them, charge them more, give them less and your customers will bail while competitors pop up.

Comments

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Worked for Microsoft! 😀

• Options
    edited May 11, 2021 2:51PM

@weaselpuppy said:
    Worked for Microsoft! 😀

mrs. gates might disagree. but doesnt just about anything work as a monopoly? 😉

• Options
    rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭

I only utilize them second hand now. Had several items I consigned with 4SCs end recently. I have even tried moving away from purchasing there if at all possible. So my overall business as a buyer and seller with them has fallen off a cliff. They need to adapt to survive.

Looking for FB HOF Rookies
  • Options

put nose to the screen: :)

• Options
    tonylagstonylags Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

anyone have a link to the changes today I must of missed it

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

• Options
    80sOPC80sOPC Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭✭✭

Where do you guys buy from as your primary? COMC is a disaster, eBay sucks. As a Canadian the auction houses are expensive. Not aware of many other places to acquire mid tier stuff.

• Options

@80sOPC said:
    Where do you guys buy from as your primary? COMC is a disaster, eBay sucks. As a Canadian the auction houses are expensive. Not aware of many other places to acquire mid tier stuff.

I usually like to buy complete collections. Myslabs on the rare occasion that something is priced competitively, and individuals I know. I am buying most of my high end football rookies currently through one guy

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2021 4:05PM

eBay will never, I repeat NEVER get any Bank account information from me.

With both of the vile USA political parties appearing poised with an anti-big tech agenda I do hope eBay will be one of the early ones under their microscope.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

@tonylags said:

check your messages on your ebay account

• Options
    edited May 11, 2021 4:22PM

@tonylags said:

theres a nice lil clause in there about fee schedule changing too. but basically requiring more work, jumbling listings together and charging more:

https://pages.ebay.com/seller-center/seller-updates/2021-spring/listing.html

notice that it was sent today and the changes go in effect...today. so the verbiage of “new changes are coming” is pretty funny!

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2021 4:27PM

@blurryface said:

Their stock price "is in free fall"? It's up 17% for the year and dropped 1% today after 10 days (basically) of increases.

• Options
    GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

I finally consigned with 4SC earlier and they were great. Super fast payment. I also sent a huge part of my collection to PWCC vault. PWCC's free vault offer in March was too good to pass. I plan to sell my Peyton Manning collection this summer via the vault. I still sell on ebay, but far fewer transactions now.

• Options
    edited May 11, 2021 4:40PM

@Tabe said:

@blurryface said:

Their stock price "is in free fall"? It's up 17% for the year and dropped 1% today after 10 days (basically) of increases.

yes, was not talking historically. was speaking of today. and yes, it was in a free fall.

after a brief surge, it was in a free fall as of lunch when i checked:

• Options

and looks like there was a slight resurgence after lunch but as of today, which is what we are discussing (not historically or even the past 10 days), its still down 1.64%. and moving even further south w after-hours trading. the sharp decline earlier today, and today only, was there.

• Options

@80sOPC said:

pm me

I have to much S**t; so if you working on sets or are a player/team collector, send me your want list, with conditions desired. Keep in mind I have a another job so please allow me a few days to respond.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭

-1.64% is free fall? That's a little overstated, IMHO.

• Options

If ebay thinks I am going back and entering my cert #'s on my 1000+ graded they are crazier than I am {and that's saying something}

• Options
    edited May 11, 2021 6:01PM

@prgsdw said:
    -1.64% is free fall? That's a little overstated, IMHO.

thats the total damage for the day. again, it was much worse earlier in the day.

we can argue semantics if youd like. but by all means, feel free to park your money there and prove me wrong. theres a reason why myslabs, amazon, mercari, usell, stockx and a million other sites are popping up. the paypal selloff went well for ebay. lets face it though, ebay has definitely seen its better days. not a rollercoaster i wanna be on.

• Options
    prgsdwprgsdw Posts: 503 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2021 6:53PM

I stand by the comment above. -1.64% is not free fall. I'm not commenting on eBay specifically, just the idea that a move of that magnitude is considered free fall. I guess different opinions is what makes a market.

• Options
    AJH008AJH008 Posts: 15

Whatnot seems to be a great app that does live auctions and breaks. Definitely alot more trustworthy then eBay as you have a live feed to items that are being auctioned and sellers are heavily screened before being allowed to stream. I have enjoyed it buying a few slabs and just watching breaks and people get cards way cheaper then ebay. The community surrounding whatnot seems like a great bunch so far too, would recommend checking it out if anyone looking for new places to make purchases!

• Options
    edited May 11, 2021 7:46PM

@prgsdw said:
    I stand by the comment above. -1.64% is not free fall. I'm not commenting on eBay specifically, just the idea that a move of that magnitude is considered free fall. I guess different opinions is what makes a market.

as do i in that they eventually pulled out of a bigger nose dive earlier and (here’s the key words) ended up at -1.64% for the day. lunch time (when i already admittedly said when i checked) was a completely different story.

now this is beyond my pay grade, but the timing of the notice of these changes (which make it harder to list on ebay. i know as i just tried to tinker with it) almost directly coincide with the quick and steep decline the stock took in the morning shortly after the announcement. could it be coincidence? sure. but its hard to argue it didnt take a shellacking from 9am to noon. pretty sure it doesnt take a rocket-analyst to figure out the harder it is to list, the less will be listed thus resulting in less revenue generated.

in a nutshell, we are talking about a “jumbo shrimp”, right? 😉

player 1: sure its big, but lets get real, its still a shrimp, right?

player 2: sure its a shrimp, but its a big one, is it not?

• Options
    RobBobGolfRobBobGolf Posts: 414 ✭✭✭

I need to discover the next big place to sell slabs. Done with EBay for the foreseeable future.

Here is something everyone should be aware of. Hidden in Biden's first stimulus package was a provision that changes the reporting threshold for electronic sales (EBAY) from $20,000 p year (been this amount since the inception of EBay) to a measly $600. That's right, sell over $600 in items this year on EBay, and you are going to get a 1099. The managed payments was leading up to this. Now there is a solid paper trail from your sales to your bank account, and big brother is watching. Just another example how the Democrats are destroying the gig economy. Elections have consequences. Flame away if you please.

Serving Ice-Custard-Happiness since 2006

• Options
    edited May 11, 2021 8:03PM

@RobBobGolf said:
    I need to discover the next big place to sell slabs. Done with EBay for the foreseeable future.

Here is something everyone should be aware of. Hidden in Biden's first stimulus package was a provision that changes the reporting threshold for electronic sales (EBAY) from $20,000 p year (been this amount since the inception of EBay) to a measly $600. That's right, sell over $600 in items this year on EBay, and you are going to get a 1099. The managed payments was leading up to this. Now there is a solid paper trail from your sales to your bank account, and big brother is watching. Just another example how the Democrats are destroying the gig economy. Elections have consequences. Flame away if you please.

i didnt want to bring politics into it, but yes. this is exactly what is going to transpire. this is also gonna make ebay stock plummet even more, imo.

what isnt clear just yet is whether auction houses will be required to send out 1099s. imo, they probably wont. and its precisely why big investor groups (goldin) and auctions houses (pwcc premier auction/ off-ebay site) are making the big moves to position themselves with the influx that will happen next year.

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2021 8:11PM

I believe that $600 1099 issue starts for 2022

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/comments/2021/3/1615153514.html/1/0

It also states, "The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply to returns for calendar years beginning after December 31, 2021." (We think that means it won't apply to transactions processed in 2021 - stay tuned.)

As long as we are bringing politics into it, here's my go to rule

Do your own research, read source documents.

• Options
    edited May 11, 2021 8:30PM

@weaselpuppy said:
    I believe that $600 1099 issue starts for 2022

https://www.ecommercebytes.com/C/abblog/blog.pl?/comments/2021/3/1615153514.html/1/0

It also states, "The amendment made by subsection (a) shall apply to returns for calendar years beginning after December 31, 2021." (We think that means it won't apply to transactions processed in 2021 - stay tuned.)

As long as we are bringing politics into it, here's my go to rule

Do your own research, read source documents.

that is correct.

eta: and taxes have been and are still due regardless. even prior to this new legislature.

• Options
    jeffcbayjeffcbay Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭✭

So would you be able to counter the sales amount on your 1099-K with your receipts from card purchases?

• Options

@jeffcbay said:
    So would you be able to counter the sales amount on your 1099-K with your receipts from card purchases?

i would never give out actual tax advice.

what i will say, is that at a certain threshold whether you consider it a business or not, uncle sam will. and then theres an entirely new rulebook that can be used for your benefit. a good cpa will advise you of all those rules, many of which can be used to your advantage. in the end, its not necessarily what you make. its what you keep. a solid cpa is worth every penny.

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2021 10:40PM

@jeffcbay said:

Not an accountant, but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night......

You would counter/deduct the total of "receipts" from card purchases that were SOLD, or more specifically sold on that 1099-K. You don't get to deduct the cost of cards still in inventory. Inventory is not an expense, it's an asset.

• Options

@RufussCkingston said:

@jeffcbay said:

Not an accountant, but stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night......

You would counter/deduct the total of "receipts" from card purchases that were SOLD, or more specifically sold on that 1099-K. You don't get to deduct the cost of cards still in inventory. Inventory is not an expense, it's an asset.

and, most likely, the things associated w the costs of making those purchases.

there’s a great scene in the movie “the accountant” when the farmer’s wife’s bead business and its expenses literally save the farm. 😉

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@prgsdw said:

as do i in that they eventually pulled out of a bigger nose dive earlier and (here’s the key words) ended up at -1.64% for the day. lunch time (when i already admittedly said when i checked) was a completely different story.

now this is beyond my pay grade, but the timing of the notice of these changes (which make it harder to list on ebay. i know as i just tried to tinker with it) almost directly coincide with the quick and steep decline the stock took in the morning shortly after the announcement. could it be coincidence? sure. but its hard to argue it didnt take a shellacking from 9am to noon. pretty sure it doesnt take a rocket-analyst to figure out the harder it is to list, the less will be listed thus resulting in less revenue generated.

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, at today's low, eBay was down 3.74%. Certainly definitions of free fall will vary, but even the strongest of markets have very many 5% pullbacks. The fact that it rebounded to -1.64% later the same day points against a "free fall" hypothesis.

• Options

@daltex said:

@blurryface said:

@prgsdw said:

Just to make sure we're all on the same page, at today's low, eBay was down 3.74%. Certainly definitions of free fall will vary, but even the strongest of markets have very many 5% pullbacks. The fact that it rebounded to -1.64% later the same day points against a "free fall" hypothesis.

jumbo shrimp.

• Options
    sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 444 ✭✭✭✭

jumbo shrimp.

Good analogy........ and losing 2 bucks a share could be very significant to some. Not a huge investor here, but was always of the mindset of: can I afford to lose 30% versus making $$ and not be reliant on the losing stock or fund, Historically comes back within 3 years. I wouldn't want to ride or park $$ on the e-bay coaster with the business decisions their making to drive sellers away from their platform.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guys, If you dont want this thread to poof, get off the politics.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

I so want to use myslabs, but every time I look, the prices are crazy nuts. where seller fees are only 1%, you would think prices would be slightly below ebay and the sellers would still be making more money.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    demondeacsdemondeacs Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

When I listed using saved templates, I didn't notice any difference. Sport and graded/upgraded were pre-filled based on previous selections.

• Options
    edited May 12, 2021 6:14AM

@craig44 said:
    Guys, If you dont want this thread to poof, get off the politics.

while it was mentioned for an extremely brief second, i'd hardly say anyone went all politiky.

@craig44 said:
    I so want to use myslabs, but every time I look, the prices are crazy nuts. where seller fees are only 1%, you would think prices would be slightly below ebay and the sellers would still be making more money.

why would you think that?

and outta curiosity, what do you think is a reasonable percentage below ebay that they should be selling for on myslabs?

• Options

@craig44 said:

Whatever you do, do not go to their FB site and mention this. One guy did, and then I supported him by saying that if a card is more than double ebay I just pass pass by it and do not offer. I immediately got lit up. The guy that had the card in question 1983 Topps PSA 10 Sandberg went after me. I just made a statement of fact and he attacked me personally and all his little pals did too. I met him in person at a show a few months back, I decided to be the bigger man and not bring it up, but I so wanted to call him out. You have to just get through the clown/ investor/ new card business man bro crowd to find a few things worth offering on. Anyway I set some cards up right at eBay with offers and sold a couple. The market has moved down a little so I need to adjust a couple. I tend to get offers of half eBay on that site which is also frustrating, but nothing is going to be perfect.

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

@craig44 said:

Whatever you do, do not go to their FB site and mention this. One guy did, and then I supported him by saying that if a card is more than double ebay I just pass pass by it and do not offer. I immediately got lit up. The guy that had the card in question 1983 Topps PSA 10 Sandberg went after me. I just made a statement of fact and he attacked me personally and all his little pals did too. I met him in person at a show a few months back, I decided to be the bigger man and not bring it up, but I so wanted to call him out. You have to just get through the clown/ investor/ new card business man bro crowd to find a few things worth offering on. Anyway I set some cards up right at eBay with offers and sold a couple. The market has moved down a little so I need to adjust a couple. I tend to get offers of half eBay on that site which is also frustrating, but nothing is going to be perfect.

Those are the type folks who are in the hobby short-term. Then they'll move on to next thing... Sadly no hobby is ever left in better shape when speculators, flippers, "bro's" enter then exit a hobby. Think of it in effect as scorched earth.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

didn't see that little nugget on the 1099's until this thread. good ole gov't sneaking things in to help the little guy as usual. lol

doesn't affect me as I am already set up as a business and file my sales but good to know. My daughter has a posh mart (or whatever it's called) acct where she sells clothes and her older purses and stuff as well as an ebay acct where she sells a few things. she isn't a business, doesn't make any money as she paid more for everything she sells but now she will have to file a tax return ........... brilliant thanks for adding policies like this one to get the rich to pay more.

This discussion has been closed.