Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Plastic Sleeves and Top Loaders in Lieu of Card Savers

In October, 2020, I sent my first 2 subs (Value Vintage and Value Modern). Entered into the system in January, 2021. In October there were no Card Savers to be found including on PSA's website store. Per the PSA Customer Service rep, plastic sleeves /top loaders were acceptable. With a large number of new hires, just wondering if anyone has experienced a rejection of their submission if the cards weren't in card savers? Also, if the order is processed, would the grade be impacted?

Comments

• Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2021 12:48PM

I sent two orders in early March - one regular, one value modern. Both orders in sleeve/top loader combos and had no issues with my regular order.

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is the latest on the PSA web site. I think you are good. You might see a delay, but your cards will get graded.

PSA advises against submitting in top loaders, hard acrylic cases or screw down holders. Submissions received in these types of cases will experience delays in processing and the cases will not be returned with your submission.

• Options
    Geoff76Geoff76 Posts: 149 ✭✭✭

@Chicago1976 said:
    Here is the latest on the PSA web site. I think you are good. You might see a delay, but your cards will get graded.

PSA advises against submitting in top loaders, hard acrylic cases or screw down holders. Submissions received in these types of cases will experience delays in processing and the cases will not be returned with your submission.

Interesting - I remember seeing the statement about hard acrylic cases and screw down holders (I removed two cards I submitted from these cases) but must have missed the part about top loaders. Has that always been the case?

• Options
    Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Geoff76 said:

@Chicago1976 said:

Interesting - I remember seeing the statement about hard acrylic cases and screw down holders (I removed two cards I submitted from these cases) but must have missed the part about top loaders. Has that always been the case?

Not sure if the guidance has changed over the years. I am a newbie to grading cards (my first submission was last year). But I know last year the wording was similar.

• Options

I too recall that language prior to submitting my cards and was told plastic sleeves and top loaders were acceptable since no supply of card savers were available at the time. I’m sure I’m not the only one. As for a possible extra delay it’ll be what it is.

• Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

I sent a super thick card in a penny sleeve, top loader, and team bag just because both CS1 and CS4 didn't provide safe handling of the card. I apologized in the notes section and they didn't let loose the dogs of war on me. Does anyone know of a better way to submit super thick cards (Panini RPAs or Transcendent cards)?

Arthur

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ReggieCleveland said:
    I sent a super thick card in a penny sleeve, top loader, and team bag just because both CS1 and CS4 didn't provide safe handling of the card. I apologized in the notes section and they didn't let loose the dogs of war on me. Does anyone know of a better way to submit super thick cards (Panini RPAs or Transcendent cards)?

Arthur

I've done the same thing with the very thick cards when subbing, for the same reason (since pressure from the CS's damage the corners) and have never had a problem with them being graded and have not encountered any upcharge fees or other issues during the process.