Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Pele and Hand-Cut Card Experts -- Need your advice!

danielnoahmillerdanielnoahmiller Posts: 19

Hello:

I recently acquired this 1958 Pele Rekord. It has seen better days - it was pasted into an album it looks like, so the back is obscured, and it was combined with a De Sordi card. Also, the hand cutting was super tight, so there is some card loss. I want to get the Pele graded by PSA - don't care if it grades a 1 or "authentic." My question: would PSA grade the Pele with the De Sordi, or will they reject it as is, because the panel didn't come that way? Also, if they won't grade it as-is, then I suppose I will need to cut it to submit just the Pele - where should I cut it? I've never cut a card before. Any advice is appreciated!

Daniel

Comments

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

I would cut the card and ask PSA to slab it as "Authentic".

You may have to contact them ahead of time to make sure they will do it, but they should.

Hope it works out.

Great card!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭

They would most certainly reject it because it was not issued as a panel that way. You will have to separate the two in order to get it into a slab.

• Options

I cut it. Here’s how it looks. Thoughts on how it’ll grade?

• Options

It is possibly more likely that you will get Authentic rather than Authentic-Altered. But in order to ensure they do not send it back raw/ungraded, you really should put a specific note on your grading sub form that specifically requests the following:

"Please assign a numerical grade to each item whenever possible. If for some reason a numerical grade cannot be assigned to a particular item, please then label that item as Authentic as a 2nd option and seal in a holder instead of returning it raw ungraded. Thank you."

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,214 ✭✭✭✭✭

Authentic would be my guess too.

I would call/email ahead and see if they will set something up for you in advance. If it gets returned without being holdered, it could end up taking a couple of years to accomplish your goal.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Thank you both for your advice!

• Options
    winterwinter Posts: 73 ✭✭

I dont think that is the star PELE
    PELE name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento

• Options
    edited May 11, 2021 6:44AM

@winter said:
    I dont think that is the star PELE
    PELE name is Edson Arantes do Nascimento

The item is an uncorrected error on front and back text. Yes, Dida (Edvaldo Alves de Santa Rosa) is a Brasilian footballer from the same era, but the photo and bio on back match up with Pele, in addition to Pele's name being on there. This is one of a couple UER's among his cards.

There are three from 1961. All three cards are very similar to each other:

1961 Heinerle - Der "Gottliche" Pele (UER: photo is Didi)
    1961 Lutter - Der "Gottliche" Pele (UER: photo is Didi)
    1961 Schutt - Der Brasilianische Wundersturmer Pele (UER: photo is Didi)

Please note, with the 1958 Rekord Journal example, the name confusion is related to Dida, not Didi. These two names are distinctly two different players with similar sounding names.