Home Sports Talk

Tim Tebow is back in the NFL

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Jacksonville Jaguars are signing Tim Tebow to a one year contract to play tight end.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/sports.yahoo.com/amphtml/report-jaguars-to-sign-qb-turned-te-tim-tebow-to-1-year-contract-181002020.html

Comments

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,542 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll tell you what, Urban Meyer is making a splash in the NFL. First he takes the Jaguars job, gets Trevor Lawrence, he's cleaning house down in Jacksonville, and now he's bringing in Tim Tebow. This is going to be very interesting to watch next season. Look at him, sly devil.

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Actually it seems like a terrible idea.

But as the old saying basically goes to any coach...if ya start listening to the fans, soon you'll be sitting with 'em.

So we shall see.

@stevek said:
    Doesn't seem like a good idea to me. Actually it seems like a terrible idea.

But as the old saying basically goes to any coach...if ya start listening to the fans, soon you'll be sitting with 'em.

So we shall see.

He's a very fascinating man, he was a genius in college, but will it carry over to the NFL? We shall see. I wouldn't want to be on that team if they start losing, Urban hates to lose and he has a mean streak in him!

Sure, he can be nice, but once the team gets behind, somebody better look out!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,361 ✭✭✭✭✭

Let’s see if he makes it through training camp, signing a guy and said guy actually being on the active roster come week 1 are two completely different things.

And Urban Meyer has said on more than one occasion that he thinks Tim Tebow is the greatest college football player of all time, and he won national championships with him, so these two are close.

edited May 10, 2021 1:09PM

And Urban Meyer is a man of very fine tastes, and he is always well groomed.

Urban Meyer also bought a $2 million mansion on the same street as Tim Tebow and they now live on the same street just three doors down from each other in Jacksonville. Here is Urban's new $2 million mansion.

edited May 10, 2021 1:12PM

Actually the more I think of it the more I think Meyer is paying it forward to Tebow. Steve Spurrier kept Danny Weurffel around in the NFL on his teams, it was to definitely hook him up with NFL pay and benefits because he was terrible

• GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tim Tebow brings an energy and team spirit that is unmatched. He is an average nfl athlete with a hall of fame attitude. Meyer knows it well from UF and wants that energy on the practice field, the locker room, and the sidelines.

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to watching the Jacksonville Jaguars next season. You got the wily genius college coach Urban Meyer, long haired Trevor Lawrence, and a pumped up Tim Tebow. This is going to be a wild experiment, they're the Dazed and Confused of the NFL!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TmAJZTlExoQ&t=114s

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    And Urban Meyer has said on more than one occasion that he thinks Tim Tebow is the greatest college football player of all time, and he won national championships with him, so these two are close.

@doubledragon Maybe you should start collecting Tebow stuff now. That would look nice in the Dragon's Den.. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:

@doubledragon Maybe you should start collecting Tebow stuff now. That would look nice in the Dragon's Den.. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I don't know for sure, but I suspect Double D has already been poking around the Tim Tebow card section on the Bay. 🤔

• BullsitterBullsitter Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bullsitter said:

There we go, now they got their stuffed teddy, and they're all snug and cozy.

Here's a little Tebow magic from the last time he was in the NFL, check out this video.

I hate to say chit like this because i like Tebow, but i have to wonder if Tebow could make the starting team on any Division 1 school as a tight end?

That being said, I hope i'm wrong and wish Tebow the best of luck.

If I were Urban Meyer, I would use Tebow for stuff like short yardage situations or goal line plays, stuff like that. If I were Urban Meyer I'd tell Tebow, "Look son, we need you to get fired up like you did at Florida and pound that ball into the endzone, and remember, I live three doors down from you, if you don't get those two yards, your SUV might mysteriously get vandalized!"

@doubledragon said:
    If I were Urban Meyer, I would use Tebow for stuff like short yardage situations or goal line plays, stuff like that. If I were Urban Meyer I'd tell Tebow, "Look son, we need you to get fired up like you did at Florida and pound that ball into the endzone, and remember, I live three doors down from you, if you don't get those two yards, your SUV might mysteriously get vandalized!"

In theory that sounds great. However in reality considering his age, how long he's been out of football, no significant experience at the TE position, etc, there should be other players even on the practice squad, better than him to succeed at what you mentioned.

Frankly, I think Tebow will simply be training camp cannon fodder, and in all likelihood be released perhaps even before the final cut. My opinion is Tebow will probably quit on his own before training camp ends.

But if he makes it, more power to him.

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

In theory that sounds great. However in reality considering his age, how long he's been out of football, no significant experience at the TE position, etc, there should be other players even on the practice squad, better than him to succeed at what you mentioned.

Frankly, I think Tebow will simply be training camp cannon fodder, and in all likelihood be released perhaps even before the final cut. My opinion is Tebow will probably quit on his own before training camp ends.

I think this whole thing is because of Tebow and Urban at Florida, their history at Florida. They're close and Urban just couldn't say no. Tebow had some snaps at TE when he was with the Jets, and as you can see in this video, it wasn't pretty.

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

He will be on the roster, Meyer is paying him back for his role in his success

Here is an aerial view of Urban Meyer and Tim Tebow's homes and how close they live to eachother.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like Tebow and wish him well, but this will be a very difficult transition. Learning a new position after 8 years out of the NFL at 33 years old. wow.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

I hope he makes the team. Like I said before, I am a huge fan. If it was my team, maybe I would feel differently. I have seen many Jaguars fans expressing anger. But as a football fan, I enjoy Tebow. He is the greatest college player I have seen. And as a Bronco, I enjoyed his one amazing year. He would really become a different player at the end of the game.

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

I think this whole thing is because of Tebow and Urban at Florida, their history at Florida. They're close and Urban just couldn't say no. Tebow had some snaps at TE when he was with the Jets, and as you can see in this video, it wasn't pretty.

That chit will get ya benched in high school. LOL

I foresee a Tebow poll on here, right before training camp from someone who is henpecked by his wife. ;)

My vote is ready to click "Never suits up in a regular season game for the Jaguars"

I know I'm not clicking "Tebow wins the MVP award" LOL

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

well, Tebow was a better college player than Tom Brady

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

Here you go, the two Jaguars.

I think maybe Urban and Tebow feel they can recreate some of the magic they had back in the swamp on saturday afternoons. I remember watching them at Florida, the Gators were practically unbeatable back in those days. It's Tebow time!

@stevek said:
    I foresee a Tebow poll on here, right before training camp from someone who is henpecked by his wife. ;)

My vote is ready to click "Never suits up in a regular season game for the Jaguars"

I know I'm not clicking "Tebow wins the MVP award" LOL

It's Tebowmania Steve, this story is all over the place, it's huge, it can't be stopped.

Look at this halftime speech Tim Tebow gave at the national championship game when he was with Florida. He knew how to get players pumped up.

I really want him to make the team. My NFL viewing experience is better with him there. I see so many people upset. He is very polarizing. People are bringing up race, religion, him taking the opportunity from someone more deserving, his ego preventing him from making the switch to TE a long time ago when he had the chance, etc etc.

Frankly, I'm afraid Tebow could get seriously hurt out there.

Yes, the NFL isn't what it used to be, but it's still a dangerous game, and not a game for an out of football shape 33 year old.

And we all know some rookie defensive player is going to try to make a name for himself by putting a big hit on Tebow. I only hope Tebow survives it without permanent injury.

@stevek said:

Yes, the NFL isn't what it used to be, but it's still a dangerous game, and not a game for an out of football shape 33 year old.

And we all know some rookie defensive player is going to try to make a name for himself by putting a big hit on Tebow. I only hope Tebow survives it without permanent injury.

This is the same kind of thing you were saying about Brady. I'm not saying he will even make the team, but I want to see it.

I stayed up all night long last night thinking about Tim Tebow's return to the NFL, not a wink, not a single wink of sleep.

And get that doll away from me!

Oh my goodness, Dez Bryant is getting feisty on Twitter about Tim Tebow.

@thisistheshow said:

@stevek said:

This is the same kind of thing you were saying about Brady. I'm not saying he will even make the team, but I want to see it.

This situation is different, really much different, than that of Tom Brady.

Brady wasn't coming off an eight year layoff or attempting to change his position. Brady wasn't blocking and trying to catch passes in the open field.

• DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2021 11:26AM

We were actually discussing this at the bar yesterday. Even playing baseball he's still working out and in shape and all....but not taking hits in practice every day or running from or blocking defenders for that long...he's looking to get hurt.

• Alfonz24Alfonz24 Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭✭✭

I heard the Jags just signed Eddie Gaedel

#LetsGoSwitzerlandThe Man Who Does Not Read Has No Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read. The biggest obstacle to progress is a habit of “buying what we want and begging for what we need.”You get the Freedom you fight for and get the Oppression you deserve.

I have a treat for you guys, I found this awesome half Tebow half Jaguar picture, no need to thank me, I'm glad to help. Enjoy!

@Alfonz24 said:

Eddie would be tough to tackle.

Ever try to tackle a mouse? Very difficult to do.

• JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 11, 2021 12:37PM

Man I hope he is not called on to block anyone. He could get Trevor killed

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......

@stevek said:

@Alfonz24 said:

Eddie would be tough to tackle.

Ever try to tackle a mouse? Very difficult to do.

You have to watch out for little people, they're feisty, and they'll charge at you fearlessly!

This is DJ Double D, sending out a special song just for Urban and Tebow, only on 98.7 Sports Forum FM.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-3retI0ugF4

@doubledragon said:
    This is DJ Double D,

:o

@thisistheshow said:

@doubledragon said:
    This is DJ Double D,

:o

B)

Mel Kiper Jr. rips into Tim Tebow in this video!