Home Sports Talk
Options

Tokyo 2021 Olympics - will you be watching?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

I always look forward to watching the Summer Olympics, I sit around and watch the entire thing. It's the biggest stage for a lot of these athletes, and if they don't get gold, they have to wait four more years for another shot. There's so much at stake for these athletes that I just have to watch the drama, plus it gives me an excuse to sit around and watch sports for two weeks.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 10, 2021 4:49AM

I can't wait, this is what the scene will look like at my home from July 23rd - August 8th

• Options

I always enjoy watching the Olympic 100 meter finals, it's an explosive and magical race. I remember watching Usain Bolt run a 9.69 at the Beijing Olympics in 2008, a then world record, and I was blown away by it. Of course, Bolt would break his world record in 2009 in Berlin running a ridiculous 9.58 which is still the world record. I don't think his world record will be broken anytime soon, maybe never.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=1eY0OBhJfaU

• Options

I apologize for the above video, I wanted to show a better view of Usain Bolt setting the world record but the IAAF has some kind of stupid copyright over the videos and it wouldn't let me post the good quality video here. It's kind of like how the NFL has a copyright on youtube videos. Stupid, useless youtube buffoons!

• Options
    edited May 10, 2021 5:00AM

It doesn't matter because Justin Gatlin blew Usain Bolt's 9.58 away by running a 9.45, just ignore the huge wind blowing fan behind him.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ORwGYV1TACo

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I miss when both Olympics were in the same year. I believe having them split up every two years takes something away from it.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have never been interested in the Olympics. I am even less interested when the networks play all of these human interest stories about some athletes.

I am glad others get enjoyment out of them, just not my thing.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,543 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the last time I had an interest was when Dan and Dave were having their big competition and there were 100 commercials of them all over the place. that would have been what, 1992?

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I'm going to miss watching Usain Bolt, he was the greatest sprinter thst ever lived, and I don't think we will ever see another one like him. He was the Secretariat of track and field. He was built for the sport, at 6"5' and just an amazing build, no one could touch him when he was at his best. I remember in Beijing in 2008 he ran a 9.69 but he could have done better than that if he had not let up at the end to showboat. He was simply the fastest sprinter I believe we will ever see, a once and a lifetime sprinter, and I will miss watching him. There will never be another Usain Bolt. This is his 2008 Beijing 100 meter final, he destroyed the competition with a 9.69 but he let up at the end to showboat, his coach suggested if he had not let up at the end to showboat, his time could have been 9.52 or better.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uMugT6TrI_c

• Options
    edited May 10, 2021 7:48AM

This is Usain Bolt's most valuable card, his 2012 Panini Adrenalyn XL rookie card. This is a copy on ebay right now, and the asking price is $6,069.00 Two years ago, before prices surged due to covid, I actually bought a copy of this card from ebay for about $30.00, and I have it laying around in a box somewhere.

• Options
    edited May 10, 2021 8:18AM

An unbelievable 6"5' frame with lengthy legs, the greatest sprinter that has ever lived, Secretariat Bolt.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

No.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,798 ✭✭✭✭✭

No interest whatsoever.

• Options
    coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yep, the Tennis events.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. I enjoy watching sports I don't normally see elsewhere . Plus I get a kick out of athletes competing for their countries even if they have no shot at winning

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    I think the last time I had an interest was when Dan and Dave were having their big competition and there were 100 commercials of them all over the place. that would have been what, 1992?

Mine was in 1984 when McDonalds had that promotion with the scratch off cards, and if the event you scratched off won a medal you got some free food. Forgot how it worked exactly, but I thanked Carl Lewis for winning me so much food.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:

@craig44 said:

Mine was in 1984 when McDonalds had that promotion with the scratch off cards, and if the event you scratched off won a medal you got some free food. Forgot how it worked exactly, but I thanked Carl Lewis for winning me so much food.

Eight year old me just potentially had his memory jogged.