Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins
Options

1837 Bust half dollar NGC MS63 for sale - colorful toning

Nederveit2Nederveit2 Posts: 122 ✭✭✭

This half dollar sold at Heritage in 2008, and then turned up on e-bay in February 2009 and that’s when I bought it. The Heritage description stated:

“The satiny surfaces of this lovely Mint State piece carry intermingled blue, russet, and ivory toning on both sides. The strike is above average, especially at the centers, with some weakness among the stars. A few tiny planchet flakes and other minor blemishes are evident, but none are significant.” They don’t say how unique the colorful toning is on the obverse; I see aqua on the peripheral turning to blue then orange then red on the LHS. The reverse strike looks amazing and has some peripheral toning with similar colors to the obverse.

NGC price guide says $3,050. PCGS price guide is at $2,750 and CDN is at $2,810. I can’t find any examples of recent sales at Heritage. I found two examples at Great Collections – but two years ago – and both were PCGS CAC’d (and basically white) and sold for $2,195 and $3,094. This does not seem to be a coin that comes up for sale very often, although the NGC population shows 105 pieces. I also was not able to find an 1837 in MS63 on ebay.

I really like this coin but have upgraded it so it’s time to sell. It has never been to CAC, it's been sitting in my safe for over 10 years (collecting hiatus if you will). I’ll try pricing it at $2,550 shipped/insured and will take a check or PP FF.

Recent transactions with VicPortland, SurfinxHI, Pnies20, commoncents05, tightbudget, braddick, mccarney1173, lordmarcovan, WQuarterFreddie, alexerca, ksuscott

Comments