Comments

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@Cakes said:

@miwlvrn said:

@Cakes said:

@gobraves39401 said:
    Who out there are collecting the kid in Minnesota? Kirill Kaprzov ! Is he the real deal or just a normal newcomer? Who are some names to collect in Hockey?

Connor McDavid all the way.

In other news, water is wet. ;)

I answered the Op's question. Oh wait that was after reading a long back and forth over plus minus, etc... I could have written a thesis paper afterword lol

It's not worth writing a thesis paper on! LOL

Lol we have all been there, I have done the same many times and looked back at it wondering what I was doing!

I do agree that stats can be miss leading. For example I am a Caps fan and last year they made Carlson out to be a front runner for Defensive player of the year then we go to the playoffs and he gets burned multiple times on crucial plays. I am not saying he isn't a good player but he is no Victor Hedman.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.
  • Options
    dallasactuarydallasactuary Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@GreenSneakers said:
    +/- isn’t meaningless. It’s not as good an indicator as Corsi. And it becomes more meaningful over a greater number of games played. But not meaningless.

Agreed. And which rookie is leading in Corsi? Yep, it's Robertson. Absolutely nothing bad to say about Kaprizov, he's a great player and I wish the Stars had him. I just wouldn't trade Robertson for him.

We interrupt this program to bring you this breaking news:

Jason Robertson has progressed from being the best rookie in the NHL to being the best PLAYER in the NHL.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

This is for you @thisistheshow - Jim Rice was actually a pretty good player.
  • Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@dallasactuary said:

@dallasactuary said:

@GreenSneakers said:
    +/- isn’t meaningless. It’s not as good an indicator as Corsi. And it becomes more meaningful over a greater number of games played. But not meaningless.

Agreed. And which rookie is leading in Corsi? Yep, it's Robertson. Absolutely nothing bad to say about Kaprizov, he's a great player and I wish the Stars had him. I just wouldn't trade Robertson for him.

We interrupt this program to bring you this breaking news:

Jason Robertson has progressed from being the best rookie in the NHL to being the best PLAYER in the NHL.

We now return to our regularly scheduled programming.

Best player of Asian descent in NHL history or too soon?

• Options

@daltex said:

Best player of Asian descent in NHL history or too soon?

Maybe by the end of the season. Then next year he passes Gretzky.

(Yes, that was a joke.)

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wild/Oilers last night.

Kaprizov was the best player on the ice. Draisaitle and McDavid were good............ Kaprizov was better.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    eyeboneeyebone Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭

I heard that the Bruins have an exciting young defenceman that they think could turn out alright. The kid's name is Orr, Bobby Orr. Might pick up a couple of his rookie cards, just in case.

"I'm not saying I'm the best manager in the world, but I'm in the top one." Brian Clough
  • Options

@eyebone said:
    I heard that the Bruins have an exciting young defenceman that they think could turn out alright. The kid's name is Orr, Bobby Orr. Might pick up a couple of his rookie cards, just in case.

Ah, no durability. . .

• Options
    BuckHunter68BuckHunter68 Posts: 396 ✭✭✭

You know...for me it is all about how they play. I'm too old for flash and sizzle. I'm a grumpy old school guy. I go by how much I enjoy watching guys. I let everyone else debate how good they are. I really enjoy watching the guy, Kirill Kaprzov.
    I'm a Blackhawks fan...so not much to watch for awhile, Lol.

"You've gotta be a man to play this game...but you'd better have a lot of little boy in you, too"--Roy Campanella

• Options

@BuckHunter68 said:
    You know...for me it is all about how they play. I'm too old for flash and sizzle. I'm a grumpy old school guy. I go by how much I enjoy watching guys. I let everyone else debate how good they are. I really enjoy watching the guy, Kirill Kaprzov.
    I'm a Blackhawks fan...so not much to watch for awhile, Lol.

Wow! High praise from a Blackhawks fan 😁.

He really is a complete player. Back checks like a madman and takes the puck away from bigger players a lot.

His passing is what amazes me the most. I've been watching hockey (and tried to play) for over 50 years and he makes passes that are unexpected.

Turned Ryan Hartman into a 34 goal scorer last year. Ryan is a very nice player, but not a 30+ goal scorer.

P.S. I miss the days is screaming "SECORD $UCKS!!!!!!"

LOL 🤣

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

They both have turned into solid superstar type players. Tim stutzle is in his way also. Way younger than the other two. Just glad I picked up all those Young guns during pandemic. Ended up with 3 PSA 10 Kaprizov , 2 Psa 10 Robertson, and 2 Psa 10 Stutzle’s. Plus psa 9’s of the others I sent.

• Options

Minnesota/Dallas today.

I get to see Robertson. Interested to see if he's a complete player or just a scorer.

GO WILD!

• Options

KAPRIZOV!

• Options

Both are special players....... I'll take Kaprizov.

• Options

Well, that was not Robertson's best game, but still, a goal, an assist, and a shootout goal in your off games is not too bad. Take away the assist and you've got Kaprisov's game (if you ignore that Kaprisov was minus 3).

• Options

Why wouldn't I ignore that useless stat? 😁
    I did see several pretty amazing passes from Kirill (and one really bad one) that didn't result in goals for the Wild.
    Kaprizov was much more noticable out there, which scares me a little should be get hurt.
    Robertson's goals(especially the shootout goal) were nothing to get excited about. I will say he looks VERY good.
    Also saw a couple of non calls at the end going in favor of the home squad, but can't really complain as the Wild should have won in regulation.
    Dallas looked like the better team, Minnesota got some "puck luck" on a couple of goals. I don't know who this Hintz dude is, but he sure didn't miss on his opportunities!
    GO WILD!

• Options

The Stars just signed Roope Hintz to an 8-year $68 million contract. He's the real deal (37 goals/72 points last year).

Incidentally, a few games back Dallas scored four goals in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period to erase a 4-1 deficit and win in regulation. What they almost did to Minnesota is getting to be old hat. I just wish they could play like that in the first period. And I wish they could score in overtime, something they have yet to do this season.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:
    The Stars just signed Roope Hintz to an 8-year $68 million contract. He's the real deal (37 goals/72 points last year).

Incidentally, a few games back Dallas scored four goals in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period to erase a 4-1 deficit and win in regulation. What they almost did to Minnesota is getting to be old hat. I just wish they could play like that in the first period. And I wish they could score in overtime, something they have yet to do this season.

By the way, you're welcome for the hockey team! 😁

Did you get to see a lot of Modano? He was a special player, great skater and 100MPH shot!

I HATED to see him go.

• Options

I did get to see a lot of Modano (and Hull, and Zubov, and Belfour, and Nieuwendyk), and he was, as you said, a special player. The downside of seeing a team that great is that every team that comes after falls short.

And thank you for the hockey team! :)

• Options

I was at the game the Stars won in the finals against the Islanders. Never been to a more "electric" game anywhere in any sport.
    Was also at the last game at Met Center against the hated Blackhawks (we lost), never been to a more depressing game. Instead of "SECORD SUCKS" we were chanting "NORM GREEN SUCKS"!
    Glad "my" North Stars could finally win a Cup, even if they had to move to TEXAS to do it.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:
    I was at the game the Stars won in the finals against the Islanders. Never been to a more "electric" game anywhere in any sport.

Glad "my" North Stars could finally win a Cup, even if they had to move to TEXAS to do it.

Um, I think you mean Sabres, not Islanders

• Options
    edited December 5, 2022 10:54AM

@miwlvrn said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I know what I mean.

May 19, 1981 North Stars 4, Islanders 2.

I'm old, but I do remember it.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

By the way, for what it's worth, ESPN gave Kaprizov the number 1 "Star" of the game.

• Options

I can’t imagine what Kaprizov would do with talent around him ! I have those 3 PSA 10’s and plan to keep them awhile longer to see what they do when he does.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

@miwlvrn said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I know what I mean.

My mistake ;) I read your post with "Stars" rather than "North Stars" so I assumed you were referring to the 1999 Stars championship rather than the North Stars. They had a great team back then, including a young Dino C!

• Options

@miwlvrn said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@miwlvrn said:

@JoeBanzai said:

I know what I mean.

My mistake ;) I read your post with "Stars" rather than "North Stars" so I assumed you were referring to the 1999 Stars championship rather than the North Stars. They had a great team back then, including a young Dino C!

Ciccarelli was my favorite player back then!

• Options

@gobraves39401 said:
    I can’t imagine what Kaprizov would do with talent around him ! I have those 3 PSA 10’s and plan to keep them awhile longer to see what they do when he does.

Those are already some very valuable cards?

I'm envious!!!!!! Tried to pull one buying boxes, it didn't work out.😩

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

By the way, for what it's worth, ESPN gave Kaprizov the number 1 "Star" of the game.

Roope Hintz scored a hat trick and got an assist. Kaprizov got a goal and an up close view of all of Hintz's goals. I hope we can agree on what that's worth.

And yes, if Kaprizov had scored a hat trick and Hintz had one goal and a -3 and ESPN gave Hintz their first star, I would find it every bit as ridiculous as I find this.

• Options

@dallasactuary said:

@JoeBanzai said:

Roope Hintz scored a hat trick and got an assist. Kaprizov got a goal and an up close view of all of Hintz's goals. I hope we can agree on what that's worth.

And yes, if Kaprizov had scored a hat trick and Hintz had one goal and a -3 and ESPN gave Hintz their first star, I would find it every bit as ridiculous as I find this.

But, did you WATCH the game?

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:

But, did you WATCH the game?

Of course I did, and I have no objection to Kaprizov being the third star despite the fact that all his efforts didn't end up affecting the outcome of the game any more than lots of others.

Robertson, BTW, was the NHL's first star of the month for November (with two #1 stars of the week along the way) and was the third star for the week just ended. Kaprizov has yet to make the top three in any week so far this season.

• Options

I was surprised Hintz wasn't first star.

Kaprizov 2nd or 3rd would have been my thought.

I wouldn't trade him for either one of those guys.

• Options

That was the first game I remember seeing where the only multi-goal scorer, with a hat trick, wasn't the first star. It was odd.

As for a trade, I agree regarding Hintz. He's very good, but not THAT good.

But Robertson? He just keeps getting better. The only reason he wasn't talked about more for ROY was that he started really slow, and even got healthy scratched several times early in the season. Last year his offense came together but his defense was still a work in progress. This year he's taken his offense to another level, and his defense is solid. Right now, I wouldn't trade him for anyone, because I'd hate myself if he became as great as I think he will.

But I understand how someone who watches Kaprisov every game and only sees Robertson rarely might feel the same about Kaprisov. What I'd really like is for the Stars to have both of them.

• Options

Not that it matters, but I don't think ESPN chooses the Three Stars. I think it is someone in the local media. Many, many of the choices are obvious homer picks. And that goes for every single team in the league.

It's not unusual to see a home team lose in OT and get all three Stars.

• Options

@daltex said:
    Not that it matters, but I don't think ESPN chooses the Three Stars. I think it is someone in the local media. Many, many of the choices are obvious homer picks. And that goes for every single team in the league.

It's not unusual to see a home team lose in OT and get all three Stars.

I'm not sure who picked them, but it was a home game for Dallas, so I was doubly surprised when Kaprizov was the #1 ⭐.

Not ripping Robertson, but his goal was pretty pedestrian.
    Hintz also had some perfect passes come his way. He certainly buried them!
    Pavelski could have easily been named above Robertson.
    Kaprizov was the best player out there despite the +/- .
    Great game, very exciting.
    You should see all the negative posts on the Wild Facebook page, you would think they lost.
    GO WILD!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Pavelski could have easily been named above Robertson.
    Kaprizov was the best player out there despite the +/- .

>
    If this wasn't a thread dedicated to building up Robertson, I might admit that I thought the best player out there was Pavelski. He never scored so he didn't get a star, but his three assists, especially to Hintz for goal #2, were the biggest factor in the Stars comeback.

• Options

That was a PERFECT pass!

• Options

Kaprizov is simply unbelievable. Involved in all 4 goals last game (2 assists and a goal and kept the puck in the zone leading to a goal), and all 3 so far today.
    Best player I have ever seen on the local teams.
    Amazing player!

• Options
    GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭

@JoeBanzai said:

As for seeing Bedard, plenty of highlights available on YouTube. Just type his name in, and remember he’s playing against kids 2 years older than he is.

I'll see him when he makes the big time.

He made the big time last night. You’ve missed a lot of good hockey in the past two years, though.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cakes said:

@gobraves39401 said:
    Who out there are collecting the kid in Minnesota? Kirill Kaprzov ! Is he the real deal or just a normal newcomer? Who are some names to collect in Hockey?

Connor McDavid all the way. If you cannot afford his rookie in high grade buy it in PSA 8 or get his second and third year cards.

https://thescore.com/nhl/news/2077752

Nailed it! lol

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.