Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Guide Book Question

I'm not into paper money but I do have a small collection. What is the difference between the Whitman Guide Book Of U.S. Currency and Whitman Guide Book Of U.S. Paper Money ? Is one better than the other ?

Comments

• Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

If Whitman publishes the Red Book, which I believe they do, then I’m not familiar with the books you’re asking about. I started out collecting US paper money with the Red Book, and I found it lacked important details. I collect primarily US paper money and specialize in small-size and I reference these books often. Most may have new editions, but I’ve got many hand made notes in each one, I still use them.

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was not aware that Whitman published two very similar books with a single different word in the title. Could they be different editions of the same book and Whitman decided to change the title. Maybe "currency" included coins in the minds of some and it was changed to "paper money" to clarify.

Note the degree of wear on Steve's books and you can infer which ones get the most use.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    DoubleDimeDoubleDime Posts: 619 ✭✭✭

I have checked, both guides are current.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,642 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 20, 2021 2:24PM

I prefer Krause Publication price guides for both US and World Notes. Standard Catalog US Paper Money (Krause), Don C Kelly NBN, Krause WPM catalogs. Also Don C Kelly has excellent book on CSA / Obsoletes. Top pop graded notes can bring big premiums and sell for many times cv versus ungraded notes which technically could be CU60 unless stated ChCu which is CU63. Consequently graded notes in higher grades trade at a premium based on demand, grade and pop rarity in the marketplace.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    redsealguyredsealguy Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

@BadWithMoney said:
    The one you really want it the standard guide to small sized us paper money. It breaks things down by serial number block and includes mules, for numbers printed. (for most bills, this wasn't always tracked)

Agreed although the most recent addition is already 11 years old and it's out of print. Hopefully a new similar book will be unveiled in the future and I am optimistic that it will.