Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

eBay might have ACTUALLY done something really good for coin sellers - eBay standard envelope

Comments

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭

Does anyone know how much these ebay mailers(5” x 7” Paperboard Mailjacket Envelope) weigh?
    I tried to find it on ebay but could not. They are $.30 apiece.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    That's basically my rationale also. I also only ebay at night after work so I consider it monetizing my "TV time". It is essentially valuing my time at zero but it lets me play with some coins and stamps and things for fun and make a couple bucks on the side.

That's what I do- put on a hockey game or a baseball game and do some eBay stuff. Since I'm not doing it to pay the bills, I don't need to worry about how much time I spend on it.

• Options
    jessewvujessewvu Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭✭✭

Selling coins has been a hobby for me for some time although I had to start a business for tax purposes. It’s a fun hobby and I usually put in about 1-2 hours a day. I have a lot of coins sitting around that would be great to move with standard envelopes, probably thousands of coins if I added them all up. I just have to figure out how to get packing those down to less than 45 seconds (my goal for all standard packages).

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jessewvu said:
    Selling coins has been a hobby for me for some time although I had to start a business for tax purposes. It’s a fun hobby and I usually put in about 1-2 hours a day. I have a lot of coins sitting around that would be great to move with standard envelopes, probably thousands of coins if I added them all up. I just have to figure out how to get packing those down to less than 45 seconds (my goal for all standard packages).

I'm down to maybe 1 minute packaging.

2x2 in inventory. Into corrugated. Into envelope. Business card into the envelope. Print label and slap it on.

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jesbroken said:
    Does anyone know how much these ebay mailers(5” x 7” Paperboard Mailjacket Envelope) weigh?
    I tried to find it on ebay but could not. They are $.30 apiece.
    Jim

posted earlier: just over an ounce, but much safer than an a regular envelope going through the mail sorting machine. When using these with ebay shipping be sure to adjust the weight to at least two ozs. (.71) are they are subject to being returned to sender.

They are available at the ebay shipping supplies (they are 6x8) and the quarterly $25 shipping coupon (next one July 1) can be used to purchase them.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

anyone else get any grief from postal employees about these not having the non-machinable surcharge when shipping at .51? there is a lady that seems to enjoy arguing bout these types of things (many times over the years with me) that i can get along with but try to void as she doesn't seem to be able to stay calm and keep things simple. making a big scene with lots of people in there is something i try to avoid. of course i would have just dropped them in the various boxes/slots they have but i had a couple larger packages going out and i wanted a scanned-in receipt. i appreciate when the informe me when i mess up (i do occasionally) or something has changed but just tell me already and stay calm please. ;)

i really just came over here to ask that question and to see if i could find something that i could bring to them in print form even though the other employees just take them and move on.

i understand their point about things getting stuck in machines and making it harder on them and increasing risk for our items which is why their is a non-machinable option. i really don't recall from the language but i have presumed these may not go machinable because of the special label or they go a separate route from normal mail as somewhere along the way items must be scanned and it probably isn't feasible for employees to scan them like previously stated by someone in this thread or another on this topic.

i've looked through some of the notifications they sent about this new option but haven't actually seen anything today about the postal service being in the loop. maybe it was in the ebay message but i delete all my messages after a week or so.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    edited June 14, 2021 12:34PM

i got this form the link that derryb posted in this thread. there is an actual site to do tracking. ebay does it from the orders page but if you want something else to give to customers. lets see how this works.

https://www.trackmyshipment.co/shipment-tracking

added:

here is one that i sent and used on that page. ONE

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    anyone else get any grief from postal employees about these not having the non-machinable surcharge when shipping at .51? there is a lady that seems to enjoy arguing bout these types of things (many times over the years with me) that i can get along with but try to void as she doesn't seem to be able to stay calm and keep things simple. making a big scene with lots of people in there is something i try to avoid. of course i would have just dropped them in the various boxes/slots they have but i had a couple larger packages going out and i wanted a scanned-in receipt. i appreciate when the informe me when i mess up (i do occasionally) or something has changed but just tell me already and stay calm please. ;)

i really just came over here to ask that question and to see if i could find something that i could bring to them in print form even though the other employees just take them and move on.

i understand their point about things getting stuck in machines and making it harder on them and increasing risk for our items which is why their is a non-machinable option. i really don't recall from the language but i have presumed these may not go machinable because of the special label or they go a separate route from normal mail as somewhere along the way items must be scanned and it probably isn't feasible for employees to scan them like previously stated by someone in this thread or another on this topic.

i've looked through some of the notifications they sent about this new option but haven't actually seen anything today about the postal service being in the loop. maybe it was in the ebay message but i delete all my messages after a week or so.

Honestly, I always just drop them in the mail.

The cashier can't scan them, I don't think. There's no bar code, just a QR code.

I've never had one come back to me. I've been shipping 2 or 3 per day for a month.

• Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 14, 2021 1:04PM

I got my 1st 1 back today and trying to decide if I want to contact the buyer or let him contact me. It's stamped:
    Return To Sender
    Vacant
    Unable to Forward

Thoughts? It's a $9 coin.

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    I got my 1st 1 back today and trying to decide if I want to contact the buyer or let him contact me. It's stamped:
    Return To Sender
    Vacant
    Unable to Forward

I would contact the buyer just to verify the address. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if sending it again gets it there. I get one every now and then that the post office messes up on.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

The one thing I don't like now is the lack of visibility regarding email addresses.
    If you mail one of these envelopes, and it doesn't show up, you refund the customer. I've done it a hundred times over the years. Three days later, it arrives and the customer can re-pay you because they have your email address.
    How can they re-pay you now?

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    Return To Sender
    Vacant
    Unable to Forward

Sell it again, lol

• Options
    edited June 14, 2021 3:29PM

@jmlanzaf said:
    I would contact the buyer just to verify the address. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if sending it again gets it > there. I get one every now and then that the post office messes up on.

either that or the buyer hasn't changed address via ebay yet if moved or like jml said, the usps made a mistake. either way a contact SHOULD solve the problem. maybe the usps didn't have access to a mailbox from a condo/apartment or whatever. several odd variations it could be.

• Options
    mannie graymannie gray Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know I don't generally have many positive things to say about eBay, but the standard envelope has allowed me to sell a lot of lower priced material.
    The $10-20 sales were the ones where you either a) don't sell/list because the shipping cost will make your price non-competitive, or b) roll the dice and send first class and then wait for the dreaded "Where's my item?" complaint from buyers who see that the coin has shipped but no tracking number was provided.
    I also like and had no problems at all switching to managed payments.
    I'm kind of twitching as I type this, but kudos to eBay.
    (Man, that was painful.)

• Options

Have any of you guys had a listing set up for ebay standard shipping...the cheap route and go to ship and it defaults to regular tracking package rate and says buyer selected? I've had this happen several times. Yeah I'm going to spend over $3 to ship a coin I sold for $6.99! I change it back and ship. Waiting to see the results. Are buyers able to do this?

• Options

@thebeav said:
    The one thing I don't like now is the lack of visibility regarding email addresses.
    If you mail one of these envelopes, and it doesn't show up, you refund the customer. I've done it a hundred times over the years. Three days later, it arrives and the customer can re-pay you because they have your email address.
    How can they re-pay you now?

You either send them your PayPal info or request their email and invoice them. I did it this week.

• Options

@mannie gray said:
    I know I don't generally have many positive things to say about eBay, but the standard envelope has allowed me to sell a lot of lower priced material.
    The $10-20 sales were the ones where you either a) don't sell/list because the shipping cost will make your price non-competitive, or b) roll the dice and send first class and then wait for the dreaded "Where's my item?" complaint from buyers who see that the coin has shipped but no tracking number was provided.
    I also like and had no problems at all switching to managed payments.
    I'm kind of twitching as I type this, but kudos to eBay.
    (Man, that was painful.)

Welcome to the LIGHT side...

• Options

@amwldcoin said:
    Have any of you guys had a listing set up for ebay standard shipping...the cheap route and go to ship and it defaults to regular tracking package rate and says buyer selected? I've had this happen several times. Yeah I'm going to spend over $3 to ship a coin I sold for $6.99! I change it back and ship. Waiting to see the results. Are buyers able to do this?

ya and sometimes i click so fast that i almost get nailed and have to do a label cancelation. hasnt' happened yet but if it keeps up, it'll get me eventually.

fwiw, i've seen MANY listings where the shipping is nearly as or as much as the item would be. not numismatics.

if someone ever found a way to safely and securely get stuff around for much less than the usps and they didn't get bought-out and buried, they would become billionaires. the usps, fed-ex and ups do a good job overall but shipping costs are brutal on the whole.

almost like having the dept. stores, malls etc is a good idea after all.

• Options

@thebeav said:

"Now"? eBay has not been providing email addresses for a long time, it's not something new.

• Options
    thebeavthebeav Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MasonG said:

@thebeav said:

"Now"? eBay has not been providing email addresses for a long time, it's not something new.

Paypal gave you the email address.
    I didn't think you could send an email address through the ebay mail system. As in "Here's my email address"....

• Options

I didn't think you could send an email address through the ebay mail system. As in "Here's my email address"....

You can't do it that way but you can do it indirectly like. "I go by "GM6" when I'm perusing yahoo" or something like that.

I very rarely need it or care about the email. It's really only if you need to reverse a refund that it is a problem because there's no good way to do it.

The other option for getting the customer to repay you is to simply list a dummy BIN for the right amount that has so little information that no one but the desired customer would buy it. I've done that also.

• Options

@thebeav said:

I just checked my old messages, PayPal stopped giving out email addresses in April, 2018.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@thebeav said:

I just checked my old messages, PayPal stopped giving out email addresses in April, 2018.

But you could actually respond to the notification from PayPal and it would go to the customer.

• Options
    edited June 14, 2021 7:05PM

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@thebeav said:

But you could actually respond to the notification from PayPal and it would go to the customer.

I never tried that.

edited to add... Just took another look at one of the emails that came from PayPal and they say not to reply to them. I figured that meant they were like all the other emails you get that say replies go to a mailbox that nobody reads.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MasonG said:

@thebeav said:

I never tried that.

edited to add... Just took another look at one of the emails that came from PayPal and they say not to reply to them. I figured that meant they were like all the other emails you get that say replies go to a mailbox that nobody reads.

I used to respond to the notification of payment with a notification of shipping and a thank you note. It was convenient and also provided a way to contact the buyer when needed. It's the only thing I miss about PayPal.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    I used to respond to the notification of payment with a notification of shipping and a thank you note.

I use Auction Tamer and sent shipping notifications through it as it allows for multiple customized email templates that would fill in the appropriate info and could be sent with a couple of clicks. Never knew that the emails from PayPal worked as you described.

• Options
    Rob9874Rob9874 Posts: 315 ✭✭✭✭

OK, I'm ready to start listing a bunch of $5-$20 coins using the new standard envelope. What's the consensus on packaging? Safe T Mailer, or does that make it too thick? Plastic flips or 2x2s? I bought 100 3x5 envelopes. Scrap those and get 6x9, so the label fits better? I just want to get my process down.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2021 5:06AM

@Rob9874 said:
    OK, I'm ready to start listing a bunch of $5-$20 coins using the new standard envelope. What's the consensus on packaging? Safe T Mailer, or does that make it too thick? Plastic flips or 2x2s? I bought 100 3x5 envelopes. Scrap those and get 6x9, so the label fits better? I just want to get my process down.

I use these. They can be bought with your ebay store quarterly $25 coupon that is coming up July 1. They weigh just over 1 oz. each so you will need to manually change the weight at time of creating shipping label. It's worth the extra pennies to me to know the envelope won't get damaged by the sorting machine. In the past I have had some #10 envelopes that never made it to the buyer.

I have noticed that the standard envelope option is not always presented, I assume there is a dollar amount to the sale that limits its availability as a shipping choice.

• Options

@derryb said:

@Rob9874 said:

I use these. They can be bought with your ebay store quarterly $25 coupon that is coming up July 1. They weigh just over 1 oz. each so you will need to manually change the weight at time of creating shipping label.

I have noticed that the standard envelope option is not always presented, I assume their is a dollar amount to the sale that limits its availability as a shipping choice.

$20 each item. $50 total.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@derryb said:

I have noticed that the standard envelope option is not always presented, I assume their is a dollar amount to the sale that limits its availability as a shipping choice.

$20 each item. $50 total.

Thanks, I assume the $50 total only applies if one payment is made for multiple items?

• Options

@Rob9874 said:

These are well worth the money. Stick with the rounded corner labels, no printer jams. You can change your label printing defaults in ebay so that it does not print the postage details on the other half of the sheet.

• Options

@Rob9874 said:

there should be a link to the requirements, it would be wise to peruse that.

you can try to print directly to the envelope in lieu of a label. i finally found my box of smaller envelopes.

cuttting down old cereal boxes, using card stock, etc whatever protects the coin(s), keeps the weight down and keeps the envelope under 1/4 thick should get you where you need to go.

• Options
    bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,034 ✭✭✭✭✭

@derryb said:

@Rob9874 said:

You can change your label printing defaults in ebay so that it does not print the postage details on the other half of the sheet.

I’ve been trying to find the settings to do this for a week. Haha. Only way I was able was to use bulk printing tool.
    Link?

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 18, 2021 7:39AM

@Rob9874 said:

I use a standard security #10 envelope. a #10 Safe T Mailer, cardboard flips and Avery labels. The buyers like the way the coins are packaged. With postage my cost is about a $1.50 per package, and I charge the buyer for postage. I shipped over 50 packages and never had the post office return one. This allows me to do a lot up to 4 coins.

• Options

@bigjpst said:

@derryb said:

@Rob9874 said:

You can change your label printing defaults in ebay so that it does not print the postage details on the other half of the sheet.

I’ve been trying to find the settings to do this for a week. Haha. Only way I was able was to use bulk printing tool.
    Link?

You have to make and save the change during a label purchase process. On the "ship your order" page on the right side under "order details" scroll down to the bottom and click on "change" next to "print format." On the popup screen uncheck the "Add receipt and instructions" box and select save. The change will be applied to current and all future labels until you change it again.

• Options
    edited June 18, 2021 10:29PM

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Rob9874 said:

you can try to print directly to the envelope in lieu of a label. i finally found my box of smaller envelopes.

cuttting down old cereal boxes, using card stock, etc whatever protects the coin(s), keeps the weight down and keeps the envelope under 1/4 thick should get you where you need to go.

Well I understand eBay's requirements. I was just wondering what sellers are using to protect the coin, that is cost effective and doesn't make it thicker than the 1/4". Thanks for all the insights everyone. I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

@derryb said:

I use these. They can be bought with your ebay store quarterly $25 coupon that is coming up July 1. They weigh just over 1 oz. each so you will need to manually change the weight at time of creating shipping label.

Not understanding this. Don't you list the item as what it weighs with the 1 oz envelope? Why the need to manually change it? And do you use Safe T Mailers, or just a 2x2?

• Options

@Rob9874 said:
    Well I understand eBay's requirements. I was just wondering what sellers are using to protect the coin, that is cost effective and doesn't make it thicker than the 1/4". Thanks for all the insights everyone. I know what I'm doing tomorrow!

I use a regular #10 envelope, the coin (in either a plastic flip or 2x2) goes in a #6 SafeTMailer cut in half and taped to a printed packing slip. I have sent thousands of coins like this, never had one damaged.

• Options
    edited June 19, 2021 7:00AM

@MasonG said:

@Rob9874 said:

I use a regular #10 envelope, the coin (in either a plastic flip or 2x2) goes in a #6 SafeTMailer cut in half and taped to a printed packing slip. I have sent thousands of coins like this, never had one damaged.

I do something similar. Catalog envelope (9x6) with a half SafT Mailer.

In bulk, the envelopes are 2 cents each, the "SafeTMailer" (cut from a roll) is about 6 cents.

• Options

I just cut up used bubble mailers and staple them inside thin cardboard. Couple dozen have passed the test so far and most are 2 ounces. Unable to get under an ounce with this method.

• Options

@Rob9874 said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Rob9874 said:

@derryb said:

Not understanding this. Don't you list the item as what it weighs with the 1 oz envelope? Why the need to manually change it? And do you use Safe T Mailers, or just a 2x2?

For me weight and type of shipping is chosen at time of label purchase. One also indicates type of shipping when creating a listing so that ebay algorithm can tell buyer when to expect the item.

• Options

USPS requirements state "Envelope thickness is uniform". So you don't need the #10 Safe T Mailer, that extends the length of the #10 envelope?

• Options

@Rob9874 said:
    USPS requirements state "Envelope thickness is uniform". So you don't need the #10 Safe T Mailer, that extends the length of the #10 envelope?

Haven't so far. Never got one back. The corrugated makes the transitions smooth so there's no lump.

• Options

@Rob9874 said:

i use folded card stock or thin cardboard and usually runs the length of the envelope. just habit.

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@Rob9874 said:

i use folded card stock or thin cardboard and usually runs the length of the envelope. just habit.

three sheets of paper folded with the coin in a flip taped to the inside works fine for me. Haven't lost one yet to the sorting machine.

• Options

Thanks all. Been selling on eBay since 1996, but I'm new to raw coins with the new standard envelope. Just wanted to see what some best practices are. Appreciate it!

• Options
    slider23slider23 Posts: 638 ✭✭✭✭

I have shipped about 60 packages with using the eBay standard envelope and about 20% of the packages have some type of tracking issue. Today I get a seller complaint that received a Walking Liberty in a eBay standard envelope with a postage due of $3.49 because the cardboard safe T mailer turned the #10 envelope into the parcel rate .

• Options
    edited June 23, 2021 10:03AM

@slider23 said:
    I have shipped about 60 packages with using the eBay standard envelope and about 20% of the packages have some type of tracking issue. Today I get a seller complaint that received a Walking Liberty in a eBay standard envelope with a postage due of $3.49 because the cardboard safe T mailer turned the #10 envelope into the parcel rate .

You have to make sure it stays under 1/4 inch.

I don't know what you mean by tracking issues. They don't track as completely as a package.

I've shipped 50+ of this, and goin on 2000 first class letters with coins before this service with only a couple lost packages.

• Options
    tommy44tommy44 Posts: 2,197 ✭✭✭✭✭

@slider23 said:

If the package is over 0.25" thick anywhere it's a parcel, maybe the safe T mailer was to thick or the mail carrier was having a bad day. I made myself a little "goesinta" with a slot 0.25" thick and send all my eBay standard envelopes through the slot, so far no problems.

it's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@slider23 said:

You have to make sure it stays under 1/4 ounce.

1/4 inch. :)

I've always been concerned about using Safe-T-Mailers, as they seem to be close to this thickness. I make sure to mash them as flat as I can, so far (several thousand shipped) no problems.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@slider23 said:

You have to make sure it stays under 1/4 ounce.

1/4 inch. :)

I've always been concerned about using Safe-T-Mailers, as they seem to be close to this thickness. I make sure to mash them as flat as I can, so far (several thousand shipped) no problems.

Oops. Yes. Inch. Lol

Yes, I squash them down and make sure the envelope slides through a quarter INCH slit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file