Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

My Don Mossi Collection

BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

Thought I had posted this one here before but can't seem to find it plus by now I have added much more to it.

Started the collection back in March 2011 and looking back at what I could find on here was because I was trying to focus on my stuff. Can tell you that didn't go well because I go from one thing to the next. Due to my inability to stay focused (currently back into buying records for my music collection which consists of LP's, 45's, 78's, cassettes, 8-tracks which latest number is 3,118 cataloged items on Discogs with more to input) I haven't been pursuing cards since sometime in 2017 and only recently stopped by here to check up on a particular set a member had bought off me and was trying to get PSA to grade (which apparently did finally happen).

So why Don Mossi? Maybe because so many considered him an oddball kind of guy and I can certainly relate to that. I also think I thought it wouldn't be so hard to collect his stuff because just how much could possibly be out there? Well, a LOT! And some of what's out there is beyond my reach (minor league issues) but no matter, it's not about value, nor am I going for the best condition. Wanted to have fun with it and I still do whenever I dig out the cards plus I do display some of the collection all the time.

So shutting up now (oh, thank goodness), up for your pleasure or sheer horror (however you feel about this) here are the crappy pics I took today. Been very dark and dreary here so when I can get better lighting (YO! We though you said you were shutting up), okay, okay, here are the pictures.

The top left custom image was made and signature obtained by board member thekid8 (Mike).

The Nokona picture is just something I found an image of online and had to work some Photoshop magic and manipulate the image to square it off.

The Narleski and Mossi was bought for the image and by looking at the provided scan before bidding I thought it was a real photo. But in hand it was nothing but a pixelated image taken from who knows where, made into a small photo and signed by Ray Narleski.

Comments

• sayheywyosayheywyo Posts: 443 ✭✭✭✭

Absolutely love it!! Had to have my wife take a look at these pictures. Seriously, she collects cards of players with big ears. I actually did a trade here on the BST where I sent a member a few '64 Topps Giants in return for a few "surprise me" cards of players with big ears. Collect what you like, like what you collect...........

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

Well that has to be the world's foremost collection of Don Mossi memorabilia. Time to start my Ray Narleski collection!

Daniel
  • nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great accumulation Jeff. I never realized that Mossi didn't have a 1965 card, so I went to google to see if I could find out why. I came up with this, and it may be the reason:

Mossi was sold to the White Sox in March 1964, but was released after the season. After being out of baseball for a few months, the Athletics picked him up at the end of May 1965

It appears that when Topps was producing their 1965 set Mossi was not on a team yet.

• 19591959 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

"Ears to you", Don Mossi. Great guy and good pitcher.

• BarfvaderBarfvader Posts: 2,859 ✭✭✭✭

@nam812 said:
    Great accumulation Jeff. I never realized that Mossi didn't have a 1965 card, so I went to google to see if I could find out why. I came up with this, and it may be the reason:

Mossi was sold to the White Sox in March 1964, but was released after the season. After being out of baseball for a few months, the Athletics picked him up at the end of May 1965

It appears that when Topps was producing their 1965 set Mossi was not on a team yet.

There are some fan made cards but blank on the back so although cool I'd rather they be complete with stats and such on the back.

And I think I'll take the time and scan the cards as they will look better. Start working on that tonight.

And I thank everyone for the comments. :smile:

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Barfvader said:
    The top left custom image was made and signature obtained by a board member whom I can't remember at this time..........

Jeff, is it possible that custom was made by Doran (Heritage Addict)?

edited May 6, 2021 11:09AM

@nam812 said:

@Barfvader said:
    The top left custom image was made and signature obtained by a board member whom I can't remember at this time..........

Jeff, is it possible that custom was made by Doran (Heritage Addict)?

With my brain I just don't know. :D I'm sure I messaged whoever did that so will scour thru my messages cause the not knowing will drive me nuts.

EDIT: Found it. It was made by thekid8 (Mike).

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

wow what a great collection of one players.

• daltexdaltex Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭✭✭

Wow!

• Chicago1976Chicago1976 Posts: 451 ✭✭✭✭✭

This is very cool. Thanks for sharing! One of the reasons I enjoy this forum is seeing all the different collecting styles and goals.

Well that took a little longer than I expected but all cards scanned and uploaded.

I think most people are surprised at the amount of different items Mr. Mossi had been featured on. I know when I started I really had no idea but it's been a fun journey discovering these and hope to add more to the collection over time.

• Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 6:28AM

So why Don Mossi? Maybe because so many considered him an oddball kind of guy and I can certainly relate to that.

Hiya Jeff

Incredible display!!!

If there were an award for having a truly "forthright and heartfelt" collection? You get the award hands down!

This is the kind of stuff that makes the hobby fun and seeing it here not only made my day but reinforces what a hobby is all about.

Thanx for sharing buddy.

Mike
  • baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭

very cool

congrats!

Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started