Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Photo critique part 2

zas107zas107 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Tried my hand at photographing a silver coin. What do you all think in regards to white balance exposure etc?

Comments

• Options
    KurisuKurisu Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nicely done. If the mat it's on is black than it looks like your color is nice and neutral.
    Good lighting for that luster...a bit low res to nit-pic on the focus but it looks pretty darn sharp too.

Coins are Neato!

"If it's a penny for your thoughts and you put in your two cents worth, then someone...somewhere...is making a penny." - Steven Wright

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

It looks nice, I think the lighting could still use some work to brighten it some and try to eliminate the hot spots.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nice picture.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

White balance is fine. The coin needs to be better lit—right now it’s dark as a result of the light angle being too low and it being underexposed.

@coinbuf said:
    It looks nice, I think the lighting could still use some work to brighten it some and try to eliminate the hot spots.

Nothing wrong with brighter areas to show a band of lustre—that’s how coins look. That the rest of the coin is too dark is a separate issue.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:
    White balance is fine. The coin needs to be better lit—right now it’s dark as a result of the light angle being too low and it being underexposed.

@coinbuf said:

Nothing wrong with brighter areas to show a band of lustre—that’s how coins look. That the rest of the coin is too dark is a separate issue.

From what I see it does not look like bands of luster but rather concentrated hot spots that could be cured wit better light diffusion, which might also solve the overall dark look too.

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

@coinbuf said:

@airplanenut said:

@coinbuf said:

From what I see it does not look like bands of luster but rather concentrated hot spots that could be cured wit better light diffusion, which might also solve the overall dark look too.

The coin doesn't have the full lustre of an uncirculated coin. If it did, the bands would go through the fields, which have some wear/friction. Since the peripheral areas are more protected, they retain lustre better. A higher lighting angle will make those areas larger and overall brighten the photo, but those are not the hot spots you'd get from a point of light brightening a point of the surface of the coin.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file