Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Potentially pulling off the largest trade I've ever been involved in & needs some advice

Hi - new here but have been collecting PSA cards since almost the very beginning. Have a chance at a T206 Cy Young (Glove Showing) PSA 5 w/ Tolstoi back. In return I'd be sending out a Frank Chance (Yellow Portrait) PSA 5 w/ Carolina Brights back, a 69 PSA 8 Bench and a 93 SP Jeter PSA 8. It seems fairly equitable given the Tolstoi back, although I'm open to thoughts on whether this is really equal value or not. My biggest questions is how do you best protect yourself when making this trade with someone you only know through a Facebook forum? Thanks in advance!

Answers

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭

I probably would not do a facebook deal like that with that kind of value, That might be worth a couple plane tickets if it isn't a cross county proposition and a personal day to complete that transaction in person. I like the the cy young side of this trade personally. I mean its Cy Young

• Options
    canyoubelieveitcanyoubelieveit Posts: 239 ✭✭✭

I'd probably want references for a high value trade like this. Maybe post the seller's alias here and ask if anyone has traded with them. What dollar value are you putting on this transaction? I have not personally done any high value trades online so I'm speaking in hypotheticals for me.

• Options

He's in Minnesota and I'm in Atlanta, so travel may be tough. If he was closer, I'd absolutely travel. The value on this is around $7500...

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

$500 for a plane ticket seems the best investment to me. You might pay close to that in postal insurance.

• Options
    mintonlyplsmintonlypls Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭✭✭

When I sold my wax pack run from the 1960s (13 packs…doubles of 1962, 1964, 1968), I ended up making two deals (PSA-7s on one deal to Muskegon, MI and PSA-8s/9s on another to Hickory, NC) and drove to both cities (~ 9 hours one way on each trip) from Mason, OH. It totaled $52,500 and I wasn’t about to do the deals any other way than in person. Not to mention the risk of shifting razor-like gum ripping wax wrapper if shipped.

When it involves substantial money with a person I don’t know….I will always do a deal in person no matter how far away in CONUS.

mint_only_pls
  • Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

Tough call. Maybe ask for references and you can do the same.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

Find an agent that can broker the deal in person.

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options

@Nathaniel1960 said:
    Find an agent that can broker the deal in person.

Ooh - I like this answer - Thanks!

• Options
    19591959 Posts: 614 ✭✭✭

Yes, call a broker or perhaps a very reputable dealer, like Steve Hart, and each of you mail cards to him. Chip in , and pay a fee .

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭

Drive
    Cash
    Bring a friend whose on the job

• Options
    fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭✭

I have used PWCC as the middle man for a trade of expensive (15k+) cards. I believe this is something they will do for a fee, or at least they have in the past.

Thanks,

Robb