Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Album for Canadian large cents, with varieties?

One of my side collections for the past few years has been Canadian large cents, housed in an old blue Whitman bookshelf album that is showing its age. Although they are circulated, the coins are in pretty nice shape overall but I just don't think the brown coins display very well against the dark blue pages. There are a couple of used Capital holders on ebay, but they lack the slots for the 1858-59 varieties that the Whitman includes. Does anyone know of an album or holder that also has them? Thanks.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).

Comments

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,795 ✭✭✭✭✭

I know there is a vintage Library of Coins album for Large Cents- I doubt it includes varieties

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    sylsyl Posts: 906 ✭✭✭

I have 3-4 Large Cent folders from Uni-safe and Harco with 30 coins per page, 1858 to 1920. There are slide-in labels for the coins that are in the PVC-free pages. The labels are just a thicker paper than poster board but thick enough to slide in and out of the slots. The folder binder will take at least 4 more pages, so there is plenty of room to add pages and relabel the new slide-in label strips. You can add as many varieties that you want. New pages are easy to find that fit the folders. Just the 1859 varieties and the '81 and '82 varieties will probably fill 3 more pages, which would be 90 more coins.

• Options
    1960NYGiants1960NYGiants Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭✭

It really depends on what varieties you want to include in the set. I have tried several manufacturers over the years. Each has pro / con attributes. The folders hide one side of the coin.

The bookshelf type (Dansco, Whitman, Library of Coins, etc.) have acetate slides that can rub the coin when the slide is moved. I cannot recommend them for use with UNC coins.

Eagle makes an album that holds 2x2 snap lock style holders. Similar to their slab style albums. Labeling is an issue.

Guardmaster makes an album that the coins are placed in a pocket of a sleeve that is in turn slid into the page. Problem is the pockets are very tight. https://brooklyngallery.com/coin-albums/guardmaster-coin-album-canadian-large-cent-1858-1920-gac51.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwZ71nuqy8AIVC7LICh0FSwInEAQYAyABEgLC_PD_BwE An option would be to buy the blank pages for the 25c.

Lighthouse makes the Vista which is similar to Dansco. It has extra holes at the back where varieties can be added. https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/lighthouse-vista-book-canada-large-1-cent-album-1858-1920

I also have this Lighthouse album but I do not believe it is still in production. It also has extra holes for varieties.

As a die marriage and variety collector, I use 2x2's and pages. This is the most flexible storage system. Stored in albums like these: https://www.lighthouse.us/ringbinder-vario-f-incl-slipcase-green.html?fee=14&fep=6214&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm9HDr-yy8AIVyoWHCh3q0wLOEAEYASAEEgIsrvD_BwE

Gene

Life member #369 of the Royal Canadian Numismatic Association
    Member of Canadian Association of Token Collectors

Collector of:
    Canadian coins and pre-confederation tokens
    Darkside proof/mint sets dated 1960
    My Ebay
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2021 11:04AM

The albums that I use are like the one described above (Guardmaster) by 1960's NYGs. The coins slide into a sleeve, which is then slide into the pages that hold the sleeves and the ID strips, also slide into sleeves that are then slid into the pages. They make small, compact albumswhere the coins are clearly visible from both sides. 30 coins to a page covers lots of coins and I have no problem with fit or tightness with large cents. Anything smaller in denomination should even have more room. As Gene said, Brooklyn Gallery has both the albums and the blank pages to put more coins between the covers.

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks to all for the help and the quick responses.

Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's in great shape for a Library of Coins album! Did you find a new old stock?

@ajaan said:

• Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,125 ✭✭✭✭✭

@amwldcoin said:
    That's in great shape for a Library of Coins album! Did you find a new old stock?

@ajaan said:

No, just something I received in a deal I made.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2021 8:44AM

BTW, there is no such animal as a 9 over 8, "narrow 9" and never has been.