Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

!984 Donruss - it deserves its own thread

My favorite set out of the 1980s and one of my faves of all time.

Comments

• BigTex22BigTex22 Posts: 38 ✭✭✭

edited May 4, 2021 11:39AM

• TiborTibor Posts: 3,199 ✭✭✭✭✭

No pics. The set is my favorite as well as the 85 Donruss. For the '84 I never found wax at the stores. Did find rack packs. Bought a ton with stars on front.

• BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭✭✭

It really is a nice set (I also like '85 Donruss). Great cards you have there!

Daniel
  • PlayBallPlayBall Posts: 463 ✭✭✭

BigTex22,

There is a great thread on the Set Registry forum dedicated to the 1984 Donruss set. It been running 15+ years. You should check it out if you haven't.

Currently, I think it's the 4th thread down.

Bernie Carlen

Currently collecting.....your guess is as good as mine.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love seeing Rose choke up on the bat in that image

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

My favorite 84 Donruss was always the Strawberry. as a kid, I could never afford it. it seemed untouchable

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• ckimckim Posts: 24 ✭✭

Love '84 Donruss...such iconic product in the 80's...also love '86 Donruss design as well.

• SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 195 ✭✭✭✭

1984 may very well have been the high point of the 1980's for all three manufacturers as far as visuals. Donruss, Fleer & Topps 1984 designs are among the nicest of the decade.

• dan89dan89 Posts: 484 ✭✭✭✭✭

Love the star racks, think I have some more that are buried. FASC wax box that are getting nuts and a factory set. What a great set

• hamilton888hamilton888 Posts: 97 ✭✭✭

Here are my favorites

• slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

• markmac33markmac33 Posts: 49 ✭✭

I just picked up a factory set. Refresh my memory. Are the cards from factory a tad bigger or smaller than those from packs? I have 4 sets I mixed from wax and factory when I was a kid and I see cards bigger than others. Will PSA grade them if they are bigger or smaller?

• 84_Roar84_Roar Posts: 24

@markmac33 said:
    I just picked up a factory set. Refresh my memory. Are the cards from factory a tad bigger or smaller than those from packs? I have 4 sets I mixed from wax and factory when I was a kid and I see cards bigger than others. Will PSA grade them if they are bigger or smaller?

Interesting, I was not aware. I cracked a sealed set last year and submitted about 40-50 to PSA. They have been Grading for maybe 6 weeks (bulk checked in 9/20), so maybe I'll get them back in a few months. Everything I submitted looked Mint, so I'll give an update if I remember this thread

• Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭✭✭

Omar Moreno spider wrinkles!!!!

Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2021 8:31PM

@markmac33 said:

I put together tons of these sets in the mid 80's and still have them in albums in storage

The factory sets tend to have cards that are slightly smaller and therefore have thinner borders. After a while you can almost tell instinctively if the cards came from wax or factory sets. When I first started putting sets together I thought I was losing my mind on the sizing

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......