Home Q & A Forum
Options

Business strike or Proof?

anyone have any opinions on which this is and why? is proof or not? all the research ive found leads me to believe this is a proof strike mostly due to lack of chamfor'd edges. anything else i miss?

Comments

• Options
    RelicKINGRelicKING Posts: 170 ✭✭

@UrbanDecay04 said:

@RelicKING said:
    anyone have any opinions on which this is and why? is proof or not? all the research ive found leads me to believe this is a proof strike mostly due to lack of chamfor'd edges. anything else i miss?

I could be wrong but I'd say proof-like

you could be right too. research leads me in both directions.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rounded rims. And don’t wear cotton or nylon gloves while handling coins, unless you want to add more hairlines.

thefinn
  • Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭✭✭

Business strike with messed with surfaces (hairlined).

Die cracks and rim not consistent with proofs. Sharp strike, but not quite as sharp as proofs.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭✭✭

The combination of die cracks and the appearance of the surfaces in the second image of each side, leads me to think it's a very sharp business strike.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭✭

The coin does not look like a proof. IMO.

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭✭✭

Business strike. The edges of the coin are not square.

thefinn
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

First glance I thought proof... but further looking at it and seeing what others have mentioned also, I'd have to say business strike. But a really nice strike.

----- kj