Home Sports Talk
Options

Cam Newton not going down without a fight!

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 3, 2021 2:27AM in Sports Talk

Cam Newton is ready for war against Mac Jones. After the Patriots drafted Mac Jones, Cam Newton took to Instagram and posted a picture of himself in front of the mirror dressed in his war clothes. He also posted a message, "It was always me vs the world until I found out it's me vs me."

NBC Sports Boston

Cam Newton's cryptic reaction after Patriots draft Mac Jones

It's hard to ignore the timing of Cam Newton's cryptic Instagram post originally appeared on NBC Sports Boston

The New England Patriots spent the 15th overall pick in the 2021 NFL Draft on Alabama quarterback Mac Jones.

While many Patriots fans were happy to see the team spend a first-round pick on a QB for the first time since 1993, there was one notable person who may have been less thrilled. That was the incumbent Patriots starting QB Cam Newton.

The morning after Jones was chosen by the Patriots, Newton posted a photo of himself on Instagram. And the message that came with it seemed to indicate that he's taking the Jones pick personally.

For those that are having trouble reading Newton's comment, it's from the Kendrick Lamar song "Duckworth" and reads as follows.

It was always me vs. the world until I found out it's me vs. me.

Cam Newton on Instagram

Of course, this post could have been about something else. But the timing of it simply cannot be ignored.

Needless to say, it seems like Newton is taking the Patriots' choice of Jones as a slight to him. And why shouldn't he? The Patriots wouldn't take Jones if they thought they were fine at the quarterback position. He's the only Round 1 QB the Patriots have ever selected under Bill Belichick, so he figures to be more than a developmental backup for the team.

Though Belichick is still insisting that Newton is the Patriots' starting quarterback right now, he has been put on notice. Newton is using that to motivate and fuel him as he prepares for the 2021 NFL season.

And Newton will need to be motivated. If he's not, then Jones could have a chance to overtake him in the Patriots' three-man QB room.

It certainly seems like Newton is up for the challenge. So, let the games begin.

Comments

• Options

DUCKWORTH, DUCKWORTH!

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Patriots QB situation is certainly weird and not one that gives me complete confidence for the upcoming season. If somehow, someway Cam performs great I'll take it. If he is motivated by this I'll take it. And if he fails to deliver I hope Jones is ready to go. Obviously the two QBs don't match up in terms of playing style. This can cause issues. Time will tell.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Newton’s 2020 campaign was awful but due to everything going on he deserves a second chance, I do t think any QB would have been successful in New England in 2020 so this year he has his work cut out for him. It won’t surprise me if Jones completely outplays him and is a the starting QB week 1

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,770 ✭✭✭✭✭

Guaranteed that Bill Belichick isn't building his team around Cam Newton. LOL

Mac Jones would basically have to flop in the Patriots camp for him not to be the starter in this upcoming season.

• Options

It should be fun to follow this situation. Cam has declared all out war on young Mac Jones, and Mac better get ready because Cam is making it personal!

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

at this point, Cam cant throw his way out of a wet paper bag.

Bring on Mac. I understand there will be growing pains. At least there is potential there though.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,550 ✭✭✭✭✭

cam would make a great fullback or goal-line runner.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

I wouldn't be surprised to see Cam be the Wk 1 starter and play well. I definitely wanted him gone, but I still wouldn't be surprised.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cam can come in on short yardage or go alone plays. As long as he is not asked to throw the ball he can serve a purpose I guess 🤷‍♂️

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    Cam can come in on short yardage or go alone plays. As long as he is not asked to throw the ball he can serve a purpose I guess 🤷‍♂️

I’d definitely be ok with this if McD used him like the Saints used Taysom Hill. Maybe run him a few times then sneak in a shot downfield. I think his deep ball is good its just that he can’t hit the 8yds out guy if his life depended on it.

• Options

Yes, that is a very good idea, I hadn't thought about that. He could be used to punch it into the end zone or pick up first downs, he would probably be very effective that way. When it comes to throwing the ball, I just don't trust Cam at all, let the Mac Daddy handle throwing it.

• Options

Here is what Mac Jones had to say recently about the situation.

Jones told reporters that he is excited to be joining the Auburn alumni in Foxborough, Massachusetts.

“For me, I’m actually joining a really great quarterback room with Cam Newton,” Jones told reporters. “He’s played in the NFL for a really long time. He’s earned the respect of his teammates, going into New England, being a captain. You’ve got Jarrett, who I really loved watching at Auburn and have really kind of used as a role model.

“So both those guys are role models to me right now and I’m just going to go behind them and learn how they did it because they’ve seen a lot of good quarterbacks, too, like Tom (Brady) and everybody. So honestly, just kind of play my role and listen to them and take advice and help them however I can — whether it’s taking notes or whatever I need to do to help the team win.”

The Patriots re-signed Newton in March. In 2020, New England went 7-8 in the 15 games Newton started. In his 10th NFL seasons, Newton was 242-of-368 passing (65.8 completion percentage) for 2,657 yards, 8 touchdowns and 10 interceptions while rushing 137 times for 592 yards and 12 TDs. Stidham played in five games, going 22-of-44 passing for 2 touchdowns and 3 interceptions.

Jones said he’s ready to do what’s asked of him as a teammate.

“So it’s obviously my job to just come in and, hopefully, I’ll get a chance to meet (Newton) in person and just talk with them about what we want to accomplish as a group and it all comes back to winning games and I’m just going to help them out whenever I can.”

• Options

I'm not going to sit here and lie, I want to see these two go at eachother like two hungry pitbulls fighting over a juicy steak. Entertain me!

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    I'm not going to sit here and lie, I want to see these two go at eachother like two hungry pitbulls fighting over a juicy steak. Entertain me!

>
    >

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

>
    >

I'm a little entertained I guess, but I want to see a slugfest. I want it to be like when Colonel Sanders beat the crap out of the Perdue Chicken!

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

>
    >

I'm a little entertained I guess, but I want to see a slugfest. I want it to be like when Colonel Sanders beat the crap out of the Perdue Chicken!

Get that man a fryer,Stat!

• Options

Yes, I love it when two feisty and vicious competitors go at eachother like this. Cam is taking this very serious, and young Mac Jones better lookout because Cam is gathering his troops and will attack at training camp!

• Options
    tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭✭

I will be watching Brady until Jones shows me is ready to be the team leader the Patriots need. I am not interested in Watching Newton at all.

• Options
    edited May 3, 2021 12:21PM

Cam Newton at the beginning of training camp.

• Options

Cam Newton after the first day of training camp.

• Options

• Options

🤔

• Options

Cam has a significant edge over the Mac Daddy in the gut department.