Home Sports Talk

Michael Vick runs a 4.72 at age 40

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

Michael Vick laced up his running shoes at age 40 and ran the 40 yard dash in 4.72. I have never ran the 40 yard dash, is this a good time for a 40 year old?

Most 40-year-olds would be happy running a 4.72 40-yard dash, but former NFL quarterback Michael Vick was disappointed with his performance. Vick is not as quick as he used to be when he was in the league, but he's determined to get even faster for next year.

In 2001 before the NFL Draft, Vick ran a 4.33 40-yard dash, reaching almost 19 mph and since then he's slowed down a bit, but he still has it.

Vick ran the 40-yard dash as part of fundraising special for St. Jude Children's Research Hospital for Rich Eisen's Run Rich Run.

The quarterback tweeted about the experience, giving the reasoning for why he was slower than we wanted:

"I gave it all I had and ran with purpose for a great cause! Next year I'm training harder because my right hamstring at about 27yds started hating on me as usual.

I gave it all I had and ran with purpose for a great cause! Next year I’m training harder because my right hamstring at about 27yds started hating on me as usual.

Vick might not be as fast as he wants to be, but he's at the level of many young quarterbacks entering the league now.

The event includes other NFL players to run the 40-yard dash for charity.

Comments

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

4.72 in the 40 yard dash - no big deal, even i can do that.

We're talking 4.72 minutes right?

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

I did a little researching and found out back in 2017, Washington Huskies wide receiver John Ross set the record for the 40 yard dash with a time of 4.22

• stevekstevek Posts: 27,582 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's that DNA thing again.

Me...i received movie star good looks and genius level intelligence over speed. ;)

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:
    4.72 in the 40 yard dash - no big deal, even i can do that.

We're talking 4.72 minutes right?

No Steve, we're talking about seconds. Don't worry, you're record for the fastest organic apple juice pour and drink will never be broken.

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Personally I don’t think 40 is that old anymore but most guys at 40 would tear a hammy if they tried to run a 40 lol

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

4.72 is a great time for all but the most elite of athletes.

• ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I did a little researching and found out back in 2017, Washington Huskies wide receiver John Ross set the record for the 40 yard dash with a time of 4.22

Yes, and with that he suckered the Bengals into drafting him.

• MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,580 ✭✭✭✭✭

Is this the very same Michael Vick found guilty of the following? Why on earth would you GAS about him running anything??
    This is one HORRIBLE human being!! I'm saddened that you would dignify this POS with a post about his ability to run, or anything else!!

SOURCE: Villagevoice.com

In addition to plunking down $34,000 to buy the Smithfield, Virginia, property where dozens of dogs were chained to car axles buried in the ground while they fought, sometimes to the death, in front of betting spectators, Vick and his co-defendants admitted to killing at least six (but perhaps as many as eight) dogs who did not display sufficiently aggressive traits during the “testing” process.

Several of those dogs were shot; at least two were were hosed down, then electrocuted. Three dogs were hanged, according to a report by the USDA inspector general, “by placing a nylon cord over a 2 x 4 that was nailed to two trees;” three more dogs were drowned “by putting the dogs’ heads in a 5 gallon bucket of water.”

Vick, with his partner, Quanis Phillips, killed yet another dog “by slamming it to the ground several times before it died, breaking the dog’s back or neck.” When another of his dogs was disqualified after jumping out of the ring during a fight, Vick had his associate, Purnell Peace, shoot that dog in the head with a .22 caliber pistol.

When federal officers raided Vick’s property in 2007, they rescued 53 pit bulls. They also found nine pit bull carcasses, took samples of two skeletal remains, collected spent shell casings, syringes, and “pieces of plywood flooring and dry wall covered with dark stains believed to be canine blood.” (Tests later confirmed, yes, the stains were dog blood.)

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    Is this the very same Michael Vick found guilty of the following? Why on earth would you GAS about him running anything??
    This is one HORRIBLE human being!! I'm saddened that you would dignify this POS with a post about his ability to run, or anything else!!

SOURCE: Villagevoice.com

In addition to plunking down $34,000 to buy the Smithfield, Virginia, property where dozens of dogs were chained to car axles buried in the ground while they fought, sometimes to the death, in front of betting spectators, Vick and his co-defendants admitted to killing at least six (but perhaps as many as eight) dogs who did not display sufficiently aggressive traits during the “testing” process.

Several of those dogs were shot; at least two were were hosed down, then electrocuted. Three dogs were hanged, according to a report by the USDA inspector general, “by placing a nylon cord over a 2 x 4 that was nailed to two trees;” three more dogs were drowned “by putting the dogs’ heads in a 5 gallon bucket of water.”

Vick, with his partner, Quanis Phillips, killed yet another dog “by slamming it to the ground several times before it died, breaking the dog’s back or neck.” When another of his dogs was disqualified after jumping out of the ring during a fight, Vick had his associate, Purnell Peace, shoot that dog in the head with a .22 caliber pistol.

When federal officers raided Vick’s property in 2007, they rescued 53 pit bulls. They also found nine pit bull carcasses, took samples of two skeletal remains, collected spent shell casings, syringes, and “pieces of plywood flooring and dry wall covered with dark stains believed to be canine blood.” (Tests later confirmed, yes, the stains were dog blood.)

I agree 100%. One of the worst POS ever!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭✭✭

I bet if you let loose a pack of 40 rabid dogs on Michael Vick he could probably do much better than a 4.72 40 time. ESPN could turn it into a pay for view event and call it 40 for 40 @ 40 >:)>:)>:)

• coolstanleycoolstanley Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭✭✭

4.7 is a remarkable time for a 40 yr old. I ran a 4.4 40 in high school. Wouldn't get anywhere near 4.7 today.

Terry Bradshaw was AMAZING!!

Ignore list -Basebal21

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

Darrell Green ran a 4.4 40 @ 40

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

i can remember darrell green being extremely fast at advanced ages (for sports)

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 8, 2021 1:32AM

Vick is an incredible human being. I would like for him to watch my grandkids and run a kennel for all the neighborhood doggies. ...............What a horrible disgrace. I know he did some time; but just let him drift off. Should never be on any network stuff or anything. A disgrace to mankind.