Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Testing new scanner - 75 MINT Pete rose

I have received feedback regarding the poor quality of my scans so I purchased a new one. I am hoping the quality has improved significantly. LMK and Thanks! Bobby

Comments

• Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems cloudy

• Options
    bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

I will have to keep playing around with it. Thanks for the feedback!

• Options
    RufussCkingstonRufussCkingston Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭

It's slightly blurry, so thumbs down...

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2021 3:23PM

scan w the lid up.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    lid up.

Do you mean try it while keeping the lid up, Blurry?

• Options

yes.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes. Darker room with lid open.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options

Thanks. Lid up...it is looking better.

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2, 2021 3:40PM

@bobbybakeriv said:
    I have received feedback regarding the poor quality of my scans so I purchased a new one. I am hoping the quality has improved significantly. LMK and Thanks! Bobby

What scanner did you buy? That can make all the difference. Stand-alone Epson scanner is typically the recommended brand and configuration. You want a CCD type scanner, not a CIS style.

Take a look at the scanning guide in my signature for some guidance and feel free to ask questions.

Edit: Epson V600 is the most common recommendation. You scan looks like it may have been from a CIS scanner.. if so, no matter what you do, it won’t be a clear scan…. Unfortunately…

• Options
    cpettimdcpettimd Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭

The ccd type scanners will work best with non shiny cards. Also a black background is helpful. I place a black object under the lid

Collecting Clemente master (#6) and basic PSA registry sets, Hank Aaron master and basic sets, Mantle oddball issues, 1970's mega decade HOFs, 1967 Topps pin ups, and high grade Topps Clemente and Aaron. Numerous transactions with over 100 board members.
  • Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

this scan must be near a window or an overhead light is directly above the bed.

try turning lights off, close any blinds and/or anything to make the room dark as possible.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

this scan must be near a window or an overhead light is directly above the bed.

try turning lights off, close any blinds and/or anything to make the room dark as possible.

Scan also doesn't appear to be cropped.

Scan at or around 400 DPI. if you aren't already.

NGS428, great tutorial on scanners, mine was set up exactly like you suggested except I had my unsharp at "medium". I changed it to low.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭

definitely an all in one printer/scanner, or a standalone CIS....hence the blurriness. the scanner cannot scan at depth. also, I always scan with the lid up, in a dark room. it will yield sharpness and clarity that is unparalleled.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

@dictoresno said:
    definitely an all in one printer/scanner, or a standalone CIS....hence the blurriness. the scanner cannot scan at depth. also, I always scan with the lid up, in a dark room. it will yield sharpness and clarity that is unparalleled.

You are correct. Thanks for the insight!

• Options
    dictoresnodictoresno Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 3, 2021 11:48PM

@bobbybakeriv said:

@dictoresno said:

all in one scanners are almost always CIS. their imagining element cannot focus depth, which is why anything not laying flat on the platen looks blurry. I use an Epson V370 which, for the most part, is comparable in specs to the V600 and usually cheaper. unfortunately, you won't be able to get the sharpness you desire with the scanner you have. there aren't many CCD scanner choices in most brick and mortar stores from what ive seen, since most office use machines dont need them for normal photo/paper scanning. also, determining if they are true CCD can be tough as its not always listed on packaging. best to shop for one online by specific model number where others have used them and can verify they are CCD and work well for scanning graded cards.

myslabs.to/smzcards

• Options

@dictoresno said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

@dictoresno said:

all in one scanners are almost always CIS. their imagining element cannot focus depth, which is why anything not laying flat on the platen looks blurry. I use an Epson V370 which, for the most part, is comparable in specs to the V600 and usually cheaper. unfortunately, you won't be able to get the sharpness you desire with the scanner you have. there aren't many CCD scanner choices in most brick and mortar stores from what ive seen, since most office use machines dont need them for normal photo/paper scanning. also, determining if they are true CCD can be tough as its not always listed on packaging. best to shop for one online by specific model number where others have used them and can verify they are CCD and work well for scanning graded cards.

Thank you. I am not going to swap out right now, but I do understand what you are saying. I don't do a whole lot of selling nor scanning so I can wait to spend the money. I really do appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me though.

• Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

@dictoresno said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

@dictoresno said:

Thank you. I am not going to swap out right now, but I do understand what you are saying. I don't do a whole lot of selling nor scanning so I can wait to spend the money. I really do appreciate you taking the time to explain this to me though.

what kind of phone are you rocking? im an old iphone 6s, but this was taken w the wifes new i8million or what have you...i only got to borrow it for a second.

• Options
    edited May 4, 2021 12:40AM

Heck, I have the iPhone 4 that was upgraded in 2013? That is, it is the old model with newer technology. I didn't want one of those huge versions. I only text. I can't remember what the actual name is....tells you my interest in social media, etc. :)

• Options
    edited May 4, 2021 12:49AM
    • BTW I have now purchased 30 boxes and around too many packs to count of modern cards because of your success and insight. I won't open them any time soon either. I think I have over 500 packs of Topps Heritage alone. Not saying I know what I am doing but do think I might get lucky one day. The Fortnite box I bought actually does have the stamping you asked about. I didn't know what you were talking about back then. LOL Thank you for your help and support to our boards.
  • Options

@bobbybakeriv said:

• BTW I have now purchased 30 boxes and around too many packs to count of modern cards because of your success and insight. I won't open them any time soon either. I think I have over 500 packs of Topps Heritage alone. Not saying I know what I am doing but do think I might get lucky one day. The Fortnite box I bought actually does have the stamping you asked about. I didn't know what you were talking about back then. LOL Thank you for your help and support to our boards.

just keep mind of those redemption expiration dates to thwart the resistance of ripping that heritage. us fortnite material has all but dried up at anywhere near msrp. now that all the italy stuff has quite releasing and officially sold out, prices across the board should start rising soon. just be sure to stick w series 1 usa material.

@bobbybakeriv said:
    Heck, I have the iPhone 4 that was upgraded in 2013? That is, it is the old model with newer technology. I didn't want one of those huge versions. I only text. I can't remember what the actual name is....tells you my interest in social media, etc. :)

know exactly what you mean. i actually have an extra iphone 6 waiting in the wings just in case mine craps out. i like the quality of pics that new one takes, but no way im carrying that big thing around all day.

• Options
    emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2021 2:25AM

Leroy Nieman style is all I got.

Remember him ?

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

@dictoresno said:

@bobbybakeriv said:

@dictoresno said:

what kind of phone are you rocking? im an old iphone 6s, but this was taken w the wifes new i8million or what have you...i only got to borrow it for a second.

In a word.........WOW!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 4, 2021 10:21AM

Here are scans I did last night on my Epson GT-1500, a recent new purchase of old/leftover stock

400DPI , unsharp mask at lowest setting. While the sharpness can be raised and to some looks "better" at first glance an unnatural look can quickly occur similar to use of DNR in video. I'm of the belief too little or zero sharpening is better than even slightly too much.

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

That looks terrific! Thanks!

• Options
    NGS428NGS428 Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my scanning guide you will get a good idea of what scanners are good at and what they are not so good at (refractor type cards). If you have a non-refractor the CCD style scanner will work well. I would tend to lead to a camera setup of some type of you need to image refractor type cards.

Here is my Murray rookie on the Epson v600 (gotta scan the back too! :). Hope you are able to figure out your scanning issues. Lots of good tips on this thread!

• Options

Thank you all for the great tips and advice!