Home Sports Talk
Options

Robert Griffin III takes a jab at Kirk Cousins

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2, 2021 2:15AM in Sports Talk

Robert Griffin III made some comments about Kirk Cousins not liking the Minnesota Vikings drafting Texas A&M quarterback Kellen Mond. Check out the video.

Robert Griffin III joined Bleacher Report’s coverage of the NFL Draft this weekend. He was asked to give some analysis of the Minnesota Vikings’ draft pick of Kellen Mond early in the third round at No. 66 overall.

RG3 said he didn’t think Cousins would be happy about Minnesota picking Mond.

“Kellen Mond represents exactly what he doesn’t do well. … Cousins has been collecting checks there in Minnesota for a long time.”

“I can tell you right now that No. 8 in Minnesota is probably not real happy right now,” Griffin said. “Because Kellen Mond represents exactly what he doesn’t do well. Kellen Mond is the big, physical quarterback. He can run it, throw it all over the field, and I don’t think that that’s something that (Cousins) is able to do in Minnesota. But, I think that’s what the coaching staff and front office is looking for.”

First Griffin figured that Cousins would be worried about his job security. But next he took a jab at Cousins.

“Cousins has been collecting checks there in Minnesota for a long time, taking them to 8-8, 9-7 seasons. If he has a bad start to the year like he did last year, I could see the fans and maybe the organization leaning towards Mond if he comes in and impresses,” Griffin said.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,976 ✭✭✭✭✭

Here is Kellen Mond.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Kirk Cousins is one of the biggest wastes of money in the NFL. He is terrible, he is like a Joe Flacco except without luck

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,251 ✭✭✭✭✭

Another star QB out of A&M?

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,216 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    I think Kirk Cousins is one of the biggest wastes of money in the NFL. He is terrible, he is like a Joe Flacco except without luck

I think that's a bit harsh.

The Flacco comparison is way off, actually it proves my point that you don't need an expensive QB to win a SB. Case Keenum's numbers are about what Flacco's are. Cousins' are far superior.

Putting a QB that has little mobility behind a poor pass blocking line is not a bright idea. Kind of like putting a big horsepower engine in a car and not "beefing up" the transmission.

I said this right from the beginning. I liked Keenum, and figured he was adequate, if you spend that much money on Cousins, you better give his time to throw.

So yes, he has been a waste of money, if you can't give him a reasonable amount of time.

Cousins is certainly not to blame for the #5 defense (at the time) getting destroyed by the 49ers in the playoffs and then dropping to 29th in the league the next year.

I watch all the Vikings games, when it comes to passing situations, the line has often looked like a revolving door, not even slowing down the rush one bit! Especially at the guard/center positions, where the Vikings have drafted poorly over the last several years. Even if your Tackles do a good job at holding off the rush, when the middle of the line is a sieve, your QB is doomed, unless he is Pat Mahomes, even he couldn't overcome poor pass protection in the SB.

Minnesota spent their first pick this year on a Tackle and a 3rd rounder on a Guard, but they had to replace a very nice player at Tackle in Riley Reif, so this might help them at Guard, but with their history on the O line, it looks like we might have even regressed, unless both of these guys are very good.

I think it's hilarious that RGlll rips on Kirk, once he couldn't outrun the defenders, how good was he?

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

I think that's a bit harsh.

The Flacco comparison is way off, actually it proves my point that you don't need an expensive QB to win a SB. Case Keenum's numbers are about what Flacco's are. Cousins' are far superior.

Putting a QB that has little mobility behind a poor pass blocking line is not a bright idea. Kind of like putting a big horsepower engine in a car and not "beefing up" the transmission.

I said this right from the beginning. I liked Keenum, and figured he was adequate, if you spend that much money on Cousins, you better give his time to throw.

So yes, he has been a waste of money, if you can't give him a reasonable amount of time.

Cousins is certainly not to blame for the #5 defense (at the time) getting destroyed by the 49ers in the playoffs and then dropping to 29th in the league the next year.

I watch all the Vikings games, when it comes to passing situations, the line has often looked like a revolving door, not even slowing down the rush one bit! Especially at the guard/center positions, where the Vikings have drafted poorly over the last several years. Even if your Tackles do a good job at holding off the rush, when the middle of the line is a sieve, your QB is doomed, unless he is Pat Mahomes, even he couldn't overcome poor pass protection in the SB.

Minnesota spent their first pick this year on a Tackle and a 3rd rounder on a Guard, but they had to replace a very nice player at Tackle in Riley Reif, so this might help them at Guard, but with their history on the O line, it looks like we might have even regressed, unless both of these guys are very good.

I think it's hilarious that RGlll rips on Kirk, once he couldn't outrun the defenders, how good was he?

We have talked about this a few times, I definitely thought they should have kept Keenum and built the OL and gets some key defensive players before spending big on Cousins but it’s your team not mine, I am not as qualified as you to make any real opinions since I don’t follow the Vikes like you do. Either way I just don’t care for Cousins all that much but we can definitely agree that RG3 really doesn’t have any right to say anything about any QB, I think he is probably just jealous of how much more money Cousins has made than him with pretty much the same results

• Options

We certainly agree that spending 150 MILLION on this guy was a mistake.

They had the #1 defense at the time and it appears they thought Cousins could "make it happen" before the defense needed re-tooling. OOPS!

The other thing you might be missing is that management must have been frustrated (I sure was) with the fact that they just couldn't get/keep a QB for more than 2 years. Favre, Ponder, Cassel, Bridgewater, Bradford, none of whom lasted, most of them got injured. They wasted a LOT of money and #1 picks.

He's not in the Brady/Brees/Rodgers class, but he has stayed healthy.

I would say he's better than Jeff George, who had a GREAT arm, but they are similar in their reaction to the rush.

It's just foolish to me to invest that high of a % of your available money on a guy and ignore his weaknesses. The Vikings should have known they would need to protect him well if they were going to get a return on their investment.

No worries though! They are saying the two guys we drafted are fantastic, "can't believe they were still there".

Hahahahahahaha

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Well if Rodgers pouts his way out of Green Bay your Vikes might find themselves the keys to the top of the division @JoeBanzai

• Options

Cousins for Rodgers even up!

That way Aaron the nut case could stick it to the Packers!

• Options

@JoeBanzai said:
    Cousins for Rodgers even up!

That way Aaron the nut case could stick it to the Packers!

He really is a nut job with a Prima Dona mixed right in 😂😂😂

• Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭✭✭

Shouldn't Robert Griffin be taking jabs at himself because of how terrible he was
    as an NFL QB before he starts taking jabs at current NFL QB's who haven't
    had to find another job yet?

DISCLAIMER FOR BASEBAL21
    In the course of every human endeavor since the dawn of time the risk of human error has always been a factor. Including but not limited to field goals, 4th down attempts, or multiple paragraph ramblings on a sports forum authored by someone who shall remain anonymous.