Home Q & A Forum

Seller photos and etiquette

bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

Can someone instruct me if it is deemed acceptable to use the seller images of a coin once you have purchased the coin? Im not referring to selling the coin but simply for forums and the like. Should I just ask each seller for each purchase or do I just credit them? I have never really been a part of a hobby like this where frequently the thing I'm am purchasing is imaged better than I can do by the seller.

Thanks!

Comments

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭✭✭

My ethics guide me in the, "you own it" direction.
    When you stated you can't capture an image as well as the seller, this came to mind.
    "CAN'T MEANS WON'T"
    "Never give up"
    If I sell a coin, I send a flash drive of photo's of the coin sold, weather the buyer wants it or not.
    I am a graphic designer (Fact) and not because I have a computer, like some.
    When a add, book, or logo is created a flash drive of the artwork is customary for any further reproduction.
    At no extra charge.
    Hope this helps.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe customary, but not legal to sell or even give away for anyone other than the creator of the image.
    Unless it is agreed to in writing, Copy Right prevails.
    there are exceptions for use in education.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • bagofnickelsbagofnickels Posts: 349 ✭✭✭✭

@emeraldATV said:
    "CAN'T MEANS WON'T"
    "Never give up"

Yes thats true in this situation. I will have to practice to hone my photography skills.

I think im just going to ask the sellers who I think take very good photos when I buy the coin if I can use their images if I credit them and don't use them for profit. They can always say no and I will respect that.

Ps. Thank you guys for responding.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect MANY of us (right or wrong) use the high quality photos made by the auction houses or other sellers of the coins we’ve bought to upload for our Registry Sets or to show on this forum.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996

@YQQ said:
    maybe customary, but not legal to sell or even give away for anyone other than the creator of the image.
    Unless it is agreed to in writing, Copy Right prevails.
    there are exceptions for use in education.

I guess you have to be there.
    A feeling of warmth and trust grows between client and customer. (that could be the agreement your referring too)
    Keep in mind bragging rights and sample books are like illustrated trophy's.
    Sample just for giggles..."PLAY ON YOUR OWN TURF" (Was created for a landscaping company) with a golf ball on a tee photo. Of course it was a close up to define the health of the ...Turf.
    But that's just me.

• JWPJWP Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭✭

My 1st photo's I put on the different forums were not great, honestly they were terrible . I've tried to continue to keep taking photos until I like them. Granted I still get told that they are not clear enough, not detailed enough, but I wIll keep trying to get the best photo i can. Don't give up, just keep trying to get the best photo you can. YOU CAN DO IT!

USN & USAF retired 1971-1993
    Successful Transactions with more than 100 Members

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

When I purchase a coin from eBay, I do keep a digital copy of the website and photos for reference/personal records. I do it for documentation of my purchases, not to use the photos in any other sense. However, the original poster brings up a copyright issue and in my profession, I deal with this often. It is best to ask the author's permission and use an appropriate credit embedded in the image for the uses you specified. That would be the legal and proper thing to do.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee

Geist, YOU are correct,
    And it only takes to ask if you can use it.
    is that so difficult?
    however, copyright laws also leave open educational reasons....for using someone else's images.
    there you may copy and For example, post it here, pointing out a mint error previously not know.
    you now educate. But you may not use the images to sell the coin even if you bought it.

edited October 8, 2021 9:39PM

o:) It is best to ask the author's permission

• DeutscherGeistDeutscherGeist Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭✭

This copyright discussion reminds me of a significant case of the 1970s when Christopher Reeve was starring in Superman. Director Richard Donner was to direct Superman I and II together. However, as Superman II was almost finished, disagreements occurred centering around cost overruns and Donner had to be replaced with Richard Lester. The new director could not just build on top of what was already there, so it all had to be reshot in order to comply with copyright laws. In one sense, it was a waste, to redo most of the film, but it was to maintain compliance. Ideally, it would have been nice just to credit both directors for their contributions, but who knows what politics played out on that issue.

"So many of our DREAMS at first seem impossible, then they seem improbable, and then, when we SUMMON THE WILL they soon become INEVITABLE "- Christopher Reeve

BST: Tennessebanker, Downtown1974, LarkinCollector, nendee
    edited October 9, 2021 7:53AM

To make it short: the Copyright always remains with the creator (the photographer), even if an article containing Photos is sold by an Author.
    However, the CR's can be assigned, permission granted to use, sold, gifted, or who knows what else to another entity. In simple words, the original creator, who is the rightful owner, has transferred, or in some way has granted permission to use the CR to someone else. Usually for a specific purpose.
    BTW, there is nothing wrong by making a copy of a coin for your own personal records. OR, in some cases for education. (always NOT for profit).
    However, if you wish to be perfectly clear, ASK the** creator**. in over 99% of all events, permission will be happily granted, subject to you mention the original owners' rights.
    Did you know that if I take a picture of YOU with YOUR camera, the CR of that picture belongs to ME, the creator?
    H