Home Q & A Forum

Seller photos and etiquette

Can someone instruct me if it is deemed acceptable to use the seller images of a coin once you have purchased the coin? Im not referring to selling the coin but simply for forums and the like. Should I just ask each seller for each purchase or do I just credit them? I have never really been a part of a hobby like this where frequently the thing I'm am purchasing is imaged better than I can do by the seller.

Thanks!

Comments

• emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭

My ethics guide me in the, "you own it" direction.
    When you stated you can't capture an image as well as the seller, this came to mind.
    "CAN'T MEANS WON'T"
    "Never give up"
    If I sell a coin, I send a flash drive of photo's of the coin sold, weather the buyer wants it or not.
    I am a graphic designer (Fact) and not because I have a computer, like some.
    When a add, book, or logo is created a flash drive of the artwork is customary for any further reproduction.
    At no extra charge.
    Hope this helps.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe customary, but not legal to sell or even give away for anyone other than the creator of the image.
    Unless it is agreed to in writing, Copy Right prevails.
    there are exceptions for use in education.

Today is the first day of the rest of my life
  • @emeraldATV said:
    "CAN'T MEANS WON'T"
    "Never give up"

Yes thats true in this situation. I will have to practice to hone my photography skills.

I think im just going to ask the sellers who I think take very good photos when I buy the coin if I can use their images if I credit them and don't use them for profit. They can always say no and I will respect that.

Ps. Thank you guys for responding.

• winestevenwinesteven Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭✭✭

I suspect MANY of us (right or wrong) use the high quality photos made by the auction houses or other sellers of the coins we’ve bought to upload for our Registry Sets or to show on this forum.

A day without fine wine and working on your coin collection is like a day without sunshine!!!

My collecting “Pride & Joy” is my PCGS Registry Dansco 7070 Set:
    https://www.pcgs.com/setregistry/type-sets/design-type-sets/complete-dansco-7070-modified-type-set-1796-date/publishedset/213996
  • emeraldATVemeraldATV Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭

@YQQ said:
    maybe customary, but not legal to sell or even give away for anyone other than the creator of the image.
    Unless it is agreed to in writing, Copy Right prevails.
    there are exceptions for use in education.

I guess you have to be there.
    A feeling of warmth and trust grows between client and customer. (that could be the agreement your referring too)
    Keep in mind bragging rights and sample books are like illustrated trophy's.
    Sample just for giggles..."PLAY ON YOUR OWN TURF" (Was created for a landscaping company) with a golf ball on a tee photo. Of course it was a close up to define the health of the ...Turf.
    But that's just me.