Home Autographs Forum
Options

Negro League 8x10's

slimiesslimies Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭✭

Just picked these up on ebay and am awaiting their arrival , shall post them once they arrive.

1. Leon Day
  2. Willie Grace
  3. Max Manning
  4. Sam Jethroe
  5. Buck O'Neil
  6. Warren Peace
  7. Nap Gulley
  8. Buck Leonard
  9. Russell Awkark

Comments

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2021 7:46PM

I have a couple of those on baseballs. :)

Buck O'Neil would sign for free - he was a great ambassador for baseball and a tireless advocate for preserving Negro League history.

Buck Leonard charged $5 per signature, on flats, baseballs, or bats.

Real gentlemen to deal with.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2021 8:05PM

Very nice . This will make 138 negro league autographs to my collection for now . and if i remember all above are deceased now .

• Options
    edited May 2, 2021 5:31AM

hoping to pick up some more when able to . at the moment i have :

Earnest Big Dog Fann, Russell Crazy Legs Patterson, Lonnie Harris, Jaycee Casselbury, Frank Cutie King, Mack Pride, Jr, Harold Buster Hair, Ernie Schoolboy Johnson, Ron Teasley, John Mitchell, Ferdinand Rutledge, Tommy Hayes, Earnest Oink Harris, Midget Billy Vaughn, Eloyd Robinson, Phillip Edwards, Gil Black, Clifford Quack Brown, Clifford Dubose, Gerald Caston, Art Simmons, Bob Mitchell, Floyd Humphrey, Eddie Hancock, Enrique Maroto, Pedro Sierra, Charles Coot Willis, Milton Tiddle, Carl Long, Wilmer Reid, MC Johnson, Jumpin Johnny Wilson, Larry Williams, Clark Hardwick, Waymon Armstead, Robert Holivay, Bill Stewart, W. James Cobbin, Charles Whip Davis, Carl Brooks, Oscar Walker, Birmingham Sam Brison, Louis Clarizio, Levi Washington, Eugene Goon Golden, Roland Tooson, Al Burrows, William Lefty Bell, Hank Presswood, Otha Lil Catch Bailey, Ron Smith, William Hayden, Gerald Sizon, David Pearson, Ezell King, Hal Jones, Roberto Herrera, Henry Hill, Moses Herring, Porter Reed, Joe Elliott, Paul Jones, Ray Haggins, Charles Wells, James Beady Bland, Willie Walker, Walter Owens, A.J. Jackson, Hank Pistol Mason, Al Barks, Eddie Banks, J.C. Hartman, Luther Atkinson, and Grady Lowe. Ray Dandridge , Hewett Burton , Mamie peanut johnson , Lloyd Dalagher , Acie Griggs , Art Pennington , John Miles , Otha Bailey , Jim Zapp , Bennie Griggs , Harold Gordon , Marvin Price , Charles Davis , Clinton McCord , Mel Duncan , Willie Sheelor , Henry Brown , Gibbie Meeks , Frank King , Art Simmons , Ray Knox , Bill Bell jr , Sam Taylor , Joseph Marbury , Ernie Nimmons , Lee Brown , Gerald Caston , Joe Douse , Clifford Dubose , Bernard Fernandez , Foster Graham , Cleveland Grant , Leo Gray , Ray Haggins , Ullysses Holliman , Herman Horn , Ira Knight , Joe Porter , Jonathan Parris .

• Options

The photos just arrived.

• Options

Are you satisfied with authenticity?

I only have experience with the two Bucks and at first glance they look good. The Buck Leonard is pre-stroke. Nice

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 2:43PM

I’m pleased with them . The autographs seem to match others I’ve seen online.

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,944 ✭✭✭✭✭

What is the story behind these? Why are they signed with sharpies? They must have been signed as part of a promotion held long after the negro leagues disbanded. I'd like to see some early autographs to compare them with, not other sharpie autographs.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

I got them from eBay and they came from a company called Hudson Valley Sports memorabilia . . I’ll see if can find pics of earlier signatures.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2021 7:02AM

It’s not mine but found a León day on the psa site signed in 1946 . Am still looking up the others. It’s hard to exactly match cause the y in day kept changing when he signed.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2021 9:36AM

It’s going to be very difficult all I can find is sharpie autographs . I can also only find just a couple of autographs by russell awkard and they are all in sharpie. good thing is the sigs look about the same as mine

• Options

Here’s a ball from worthpoint of max manning

• Options

this is one of the only other russell awkards i could find , there is only 1 other for sale at the moment on ebay .

• Options

heres a comparison buck o'neil

• Options

@slimies said:
    It’s going to be very difficult all I can find is sharpie autographs . I can also only find just a couple of autographs by russell awkard and they are all in sharpie. good thing is the sigs look about the same as mine

Unfortunately, unless the story behind the signing can be found they just fall into the category of questionable sports star autographs. There are just too many fake sports memorabilia autographs out there to take any chances. They may be part of a past promotion of negro leagues players but without documentation questions will always remain.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options

The Legendary Cut signature of Buck O'Neil looks to have been signed by a very old man. It differs considerably from the signature on the photograph. Age could easily be a factor. That is one reason why finding out more about the circumstances of the photo signings is very important.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2021 10:26AM

there doesnt seem to be a story behind the photos . and unfortunatly i have 0 funds to send them to psa to get authenticated for now . they came from a place called Hudson Valley Sports Memorabilia . they opened in the 1980's and then was sold to a company called Omnicom in 2000 .

• Options
    edited May 8, 2021 10:27AM

ill ask the seller if he can maybe give me some more info on the history of the photos as i cant find anything else other then what i posted above about the company.

• Options

Most if not all of the pics look to be later copy prints of vintage pictures, which I might expect for NL players, since there were far fewer professional photos taken of them.

There was an explosion of NL stuff in the 1980s or 1990s as the sports memorabilia industry emerged. The NL players never made big money in their time so it was a great opportunity for them.

I picked up a ball and maybe a photo from a couple players at that time in addition to Buck O'Neil and Buck Leonard, who I wrote to many times myself.

• Options

they are prints of vintage pictures . am just waiting on the seller so can find out if able the history of the autographs.

• Options
    edited May 8, 2021 7:11PM

I received the comment back and the history of the signed photographs. It was at a card show in New York back in the mid 1980's and there was a negro league reunion autograph session held . if wish i can paste the whole comment he sent to me about them .

• Options

The timeline is about right.