Home Sports Talk
Options

Action Packed - The 2021 NFL season preview

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,956 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know about you, but I'm looking forward to the upcoming 2021 NFL season. It is going to be drama filled, action packed, with many storylines to follow. In this thread, we will take a look at the upcoming blockbuster event that is the 2021 NFL season and some of the storylines to follow.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 1, 2021 2:34AM

I will be adding to this thread as the day moves along. Right now I must go tend to a breakfast matter, but I shall return!

• Options

The story I will be most anxious to follow is the Jacksonville Jaguars. Their new head coach Urban Meyer teaming up with the most hyped quarterback in years, Trevor Lawrence, should make for great theater. How will the genius college football coach do in the NFL? Can Trevor Lawrence live up to the hype?

• Options

Another storyline to follow is Justin Fields in Chicago. Can this college superstar make it in Chicago, a city known to chew up quarterbacks and spit them out?

• Options

Oh, this season is going to be a tasty treat. I can't wait until it gets here in September, only four more months.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon Don't forget to add the Sam Darnold reclamation project your cats are working on.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    @doubledragon Don't forget to add the Sam Darnold reclamation project your cats are working on.

Yes, I will be addressing my kittens momentarily, they're not getting off the hook this easily!

• Options

Another storyline I will be following is the Matthew Stafford and Jared Goff situation. Who will be the benefactor from this trade, who will have the better record, the Rams or the Lions? Can Matthew Stafford get the Rams a Super Bowl ring? I can't wait to see which quarterback will have more success, Goff or Stafford.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

May 1. We got a ways to go but it’s worth the wait!

• Options

Yes, it is definitely worth the wait. Another storyline I will be following is New York Jets. They brought in a new head coach, Robert Saleh, and drafted hyped up quarterback, Zach Wilson, and I can't wait to see how that all plays out.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2021 8:04AM

Speaking of the Jets, they dumped their scraps off on my cats. I have nothing to look forward to next year. I don't trust Sam Darnold, and I don't like what's going on. This, this is what I have nightmares about with Sam Darnold!

• Options

I'm also looking forward to watching Josh Allen and the Bills next season. Can this young superstar lead the Bills to the promised land next year?

• Options
    edited May 1, 2021 8:28AM

Sam Darnold. Big, stupid, dumb cat! We could have gotten Mac Jones!

• Options

Another storyline to follow is the 49ers. They drafted a young college superstar, Trey Lance, and Jimmy G is no more. I will be following that situation closely.

• Options

And of course there's the Patriots and Bill Belichick/Mac Jones/Cam Newton. How will all of this play out? Bill Belichick said after the draft that Cam Newton is the starting quarterback.

• Options

And what about the Bucs, can they repeat as champs?

• Options
    edited May 1, 2021 9:04AM

And how will Andy Reid, Patrick Mahomes, and the Chiefs rebound after a tough loss to the Bucs in the Super Bowl?

• Options

And will this cowboy ride off into the sunset to host Jeopardy?

• Options

And how will Carson Wentz do with his new team, and his old crony Frank Reich peering over his shoulder? The pressure is on!

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carson who?

• Options

Lots of stuff Double D! Lots of stuff!

• Options

@stevek said:
    Carson who?

Ouch. I thought you would remember him, he used to play quarterback for the Eagles.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

They might as well start engraving Tampa Bay’s name on the Lombardi trophy now after the Bucs just drafted Tom Brady’s replacement last night. ;)

• Options

@perkdog said:
    Lots of stuff Double D! Lots of stuff!

Yes, and only 4 months to go!

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@doubledragon said:

They might as well start engraving Tampa Bay’s name on the Lombardi trophy now after the Bucs just drafted Tom Brady’s replacement last night. ;)

Yes, I was a little surprised Trask went so late. The Bucs are going to be a team to reckon with for years!

• Options

And those Philly Eagles have a new head coach named Nick Sirianni to go along with Jalen Hurts and veteran Joe Flacco. How is this going to play out? Is Jalen Hurts going to be the starter, and can he produce wins for stevek?

• Options
    edited May 1, 2021 10:16AM

No!

• Options

With the retirement of Drew Brees, how are the Saints going to look next year? They really don't have much to choose from with Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill. It's going to take some great coaching from Sean Payton to make the playoffs.

• Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    And those Philly Eagles have a new head coach named Nick Sirianni to go along with Jalen Hurts and veteran Joe Flacco. How is this going to play out? Is Jalen Hurts going to be the starter, and can he produce wins for stevek?

They'd better produce wins, or i'll be doing a lot of bird watching in the Fall.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

They'd better produce wins, or i'll be doing a lot of bird watching in the Fall.

Which brings us to our next question. The Dallas Cowboys. With the return of Dak Prescott, will the Cowboys put up big numbers? Will Dak Prescott, Zeke Elliot and Cee Dee Lamb be a thorn in stevek's side this upcoming season? Will they force him into the world of bird watching?

• Options

AB resigned with the Bucs so aside from that side order that nobody ordered L> @doubledragon said:

With the retirement of Drew Brees, how are the Saints going to look next year? They really don't have much to choose from with Jameis Winston and Taysom Hill. It's going to take some great coaching from Sean Payton to make the playoffs.

I’d start Winston and use Hill as a special situation QB. Wilson can be a starter if he can control the interceptions

• Options

@perkdog said:
    AB resigned with the Bucs so aside from that side order that nobody ordered L> @doubledragon said:

I’d start Winston and use Hill as a special situation QB. Wilson can be a starter if he can control the interceptions

I'd also start Winston, watchout for the interceptions though, he threw a ton of picks in Tampa, he's going to have to work on his accuracy. The Saints are certainly going to look different without Brees.

• Options

Next up, Joe Burrow and the Bengals. Joe Burrow's season ended early last year with a torn ACL. He's got unfinished business.

• Options

A little something for stevek.

• Options
    edited May 1, 2021 12:22PM

And what about Jon Gruden and the Raiders? Will they make the playoffs, or will another miserable season leave Chucky's head spinning?

• Options

I know the possibility of bird watching is getting stevek down in the dumps, so here you go Steve, a little something to cheer you up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Rciee-oQLoI

• Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

Will my Browns much improved defense - at least on paper - bring a championship?

• Options

Will Herbert take a step back or forward? Tough to do much better than his year he had

• Options
    SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,714 ✭✭✭✭✭

Carson Wentz looks like Prince Harry, aka the Duke Of Sussex.

If the NFL does not work out for Wentz he could possibly find a gig as Harry's stand in.

• Options

Yes, and will Baker Mayfield and the Browns be able to repeat their success from last season, or will Baker end up disappointed and looking like Booger from "Revenge of the Nerds."

• Options

• Options

That Mayfield pic cracks me up every time lol

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great thread DoubleD!!!

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    Great thread DoubleD!!!

He always does a good job!

• Options

@thisistheshow and @perkdog, Thanks guys, this thread has been a blast today, I've been laughing all day!

• Options

Your the man Double D!

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    I'm also looking forward to watching Josh Allen and the Bills next season. Can this young superstar lead the Bills to the promised land next year?

Vegas or bettors disrespecting the Bills already. Opening odds of wins is 10.5. They won 13 regular season games and the NFL added a 17th. If you are a betting man (and obviously I am) over 10.5 is money in the bank. Remember I went 5 for 5 in futures last year.

2 others that really stand out
    Carolina over 6.5
    Sam Darnold will shine and CMC will stay healthy. They weren’t a bad team last year. Wrong QB and a lost season for CMC.

Jacksonville under 6.5
    Let’s face it. Jacksonville’s roster sucks. Did I say that? They suck. So they drafted a darling rookie. And he might be the next Super Star. But they have a rookie head coach too.
    Remember Joe Burrows drafted on a 1 win team? He’s a star. Yes he got hurt but they went from 1 win to 4. Expect the same for Jacksonville.
    One to keep an eye on:
    Houston under 4.5.
    Their roster sucks. They have no cap space and no draft choices. Watson either leaves or is suspended. It may drop to 3 so get it on early.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Your the man Double D!

Thanks perk, I'm glad you guys enjoyed it! 🖒🍻

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:
    And what about Jon Gruden and the Raiders? Will they make the playoffs, or will another miserable season leave Chucky's head spinning?

Gruden still thinks he’s the smartest man in the room. Leatherwood was a nice pick. Um, in the end of the 2nd round maybe.
    At least he drafted 6 Defensive players after. No team has given up more points that the Raiders since he returned in 2018.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@doubledragon said:

Gruden still thinks he’s the smartest man in the room. Leatherwood was a nice pick. Um, in the end of the 2nd round maybe.
    At least he drafted 6 Defensive players after. No team has given up more points that the Raiders since he returned in 2018.

Yes, things aren't going according to plan for the Raiders, I don't think Chucky is going to be too happy at the end of next season.

• Options

And I will be interested to see how the New York Giants do next season.