Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Worth keeping U.S. Mint-issues State Quarter rolls?

DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭✭
edited April 30, 2021 12:24PM in U.S. Coin Forum

I mentioned in the "Coin Roll Hunting" thread that I'd received the 5 quarter rolls pictured the other day.

Normally, I don't/no longer collect rolls at all (primarily a Whitman blue folder collector), and don't look for specimens to submit/slab. After searching thru rolls, I usually just cash them in at the bank. But given that these are issued by the Mint/Treasury (and, I'm assuming, at a premium at the time) are any of these worth holding onto intact or searching thru for any reason?

There aren't any coin shows or convenient B&M's near me anymore, and unless they are of high value, I doubt anyone would offer anything for them to make it worth selling/shipping any of them either. And, I only have $10/roll invested in them in the first place.

Thx for any suggestions.

Comments

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 31,902 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 12:17PM

Do the paper rolls say "US Mint" on them?

Personally I dump them all in the CoinStar. There's only a few of the early ones that have any premium associated with them and it is not at all easy to get that premium.

• Options

jmlanaf: sorry. I attached the above pic to my post, but it didn't seem to "take" the first time. Re-attached & I can see it this time. And, yes, they all say "U.S. Mint", etc on them.

• Options

@DBSTrader2 said:
    jmlanaf: sorry. I attached the above pic to my post, but it didn't seem to "take" the first time. Re-attached & I can see it this time. And, yes, they all say "U.S. Mint", etc on them.

Thanks. As I say, I dump them in the Coinstar except for the very early ones. Even then, I sometimes end up dumping those in also. Most of them are listed at $13.50 or less per roll. Good luck trying to get the extra $3.50.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭✭✭

Other than for future searching for higher TPG eligible examples or specialization, I can't think of any reason to keep it. The US Mint sells thousands to tens of thousands for every coin last I looked at their sales. There will never be a sufficient collector base to absorb the probable supply in any timeframe which will matter to anyone reading this thread.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 12:38PM

Thanks! That's what I figured, but wasn't sure of, since I don't really dabble in rolls.

The bank where I turn them in has a machine, so I'd have to open each roll anyway. So maybe I'll quickly check thru for any anomalies before doing so.

Only other option would be to see if the USPS wants them in roll form, since they still have signs up re the "coin shortage" & asking people to charge or use exact change............ (but, like everything else about the USPS these days, I figure they're just "delayed" in getting around to updating/removing those signs as well..... :o;) ).

• Options

WCC: A follow-up question............. if these rolls were from my bank, did that mean that someone in the past paid a premium for them to the Mint & subsequently dumped them off at a bank at a loss, or does the Mint eventually put those rolls into circulation at face & that's what I'm seeing?

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

took a loss

not into roll searching? only 40 coins each.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

Send them to me... lol

Gotten into modern quarters lately.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

MsMorrisine: Unfortunately, While I'd now have the time to spend on my collection, my eyesight is such that I don't get much enjoyment at looking at coins much or searching thru rolls, as the details are too small & glare off them bothers my good eye............. So while I may look overall at coins for state/date/mintmark just to fill holes, I can't handle searching thru rolls for anything more than that. Otherwise I'd agree that it's just 40 coins per roll. I miss the good old days when I could focus appropriately on searching thru dealers' coin boxes, etc...... :(

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    Most of them are listed at $13.50 or less per roll. Good luck trying to get the extra $3.50.

Back when these things were hotter, I listed some $40 bid rolls on the BST. The best offers I got wouldn't have covered the postage to ship them.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

coin club? otherwise you've got spending money.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

@DBSTrader2 said:
    WCC: A follow-up question............. if these rolls were from my bank, did that mean that someone in the past paid a premium for them to the Mint & subsequently dumped them off at a bank at a loss, or does the Mint eventually put those rolls into circulation at face & that's what I'm seeing?

Sorry, I do not know. I'm not familiar with the wrappers.

All I know is when I have looked at US Mint sales records, they are selling a lot of this stuff in rolls or bags. Some of it presumably ends up back in circulation but given the opportunity cost (very low), there must still be a lot of it held back as a future potential lottery ticket equivalent.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@jmlanzaf said:
    Most of them are listed at $13.50 or less per roll. Good luck trying to get the extra $3.50.

Back when these things were hotter, I listed some $40 bid rolls on the BST. The best offers I got wouldn't have covered the postage to ship them.

Well, you know how I feel about BST as a retail outlet...

• Options
    bsshog40bsshog40 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 2:46PM

I have a bank roll of what I presume are 2006 quarters, at least that's what's showing at each end. My late wife picked them up back then and I just threw them in a box. Still there, unopened. Lol It's one of those harris rolls.

• Options

@WCC said:
    All I know is when I have looked at US Mint sales records, they are selling a lot of this stuff in rolls or bags. Some of it presumably ends up back in circulation but given the opportunity cost (very low), there must still be a lot of it held back as a future potential lottery ticket equivalent.

At one time, the mint was selling bags of coins (dollars, I think) at face value with free shipping. People were charging them on their cc's in order to get the miles, dumping the coins at their local banks and using that to pay off their cc bill at the end of the month.

I don't think those results were what the mint was expecting.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    Well, you know how I feel about BST as a retail outlet...

Yes, I do. :)

Anyway, with greysheet bid at $40 (wholesale prices, right?), I wasn't expecting that people would want me to pay to get rid of them.

• Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,755 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 5:31PM

@DBSTrader2 said:

Yes, collectors paid a premim to buy these from the mint. :(

I ran into some of these at the bank once. They were happy to get rid of them as their business customers didn't want the fancy wrappers.

At the very least, give them a quick pass for obvious errors.

• Options

@MasonG said:

@WCC said:

At one time, the mint was selling bags of coins (dollars, I think) at face value with free shipping. People were charging them on their cc's in order to get the miles, dumping the coins at their local banks and using that to pay off their cc bill at the end of the month.

I don't think those results were what the mint was expecting.

Yes, I remember when Treasury Direct allowed account holders to pay with a CC up to $15K.

The last time I checked was for 2018 or 2019 and the volumes were still large to very large, if measured by the number of coins surviving in high or very high grades.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file