Home Sports Talk
Options

Roberto Alomar placed on MLB ineligible list

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

Over a sexual misconduct case from 2014.

Does this mean he will be removed from the HOF??

"Any player on Major League Baseball's ineligible list will not be considered for induction into the Baseball Hall of Fame, even after the banned individual's death"

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

Comments

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

MLB is embarrassing themselves

• Options
    emaremar Posts: 697 ✭✭✭✭

A person familiar with the issue said that a complaint against Alomar was filed with the Blue Jays months ago, alleging he acted inappropriately in an incident that occurred several years earlier. The complainant has retained attorneys and is believed to be preparing a lawsuit against Alomar, the Blue Jays and MLB, the person said.

• Options

The way I see it is if someone offends you or does something inappropriate then do something about it right then and there. Anything more than a couple weeks it should be on you for not reporting it. I’m sick and tired of this nonsense where people come out of the woodwork years after an alleged incident and start crying about it.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,225 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    The way I see it is if someone offends you or does something inappropriate then do something about it right then and there. Anything more than a couple weeks it should be on you for not reporting it. I’m sick and tired of this nonsense where people come out of the woodwork years after an alleged incident and start crying about it.

I agree 100% with the exception of minors. Even these cases need to be looked at carefully.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@perkdog said:

I agree 100% with the exception of minors. Even these cases need to be looked at carefully.

Absolutely agreed about minors, I should have clarified that.

• Options
    MCMLVToppsMCMLVTopps Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 1, 2021 5:48AM

He stays in the HOF according to Cooperstown spokesperson.

Must be some heavy duty evidence to totally trash the guy.

The Jays said they were cutting all ties with the 12-time All-Star, whose name will be stricken from the team’s Level of Excellence at Rogers Centre, where the banner featuring his retired No. 12 will also be removed.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MCMLVTopps said:
    He stays in the HOF according to Cooperstown spokesperon.

Yeah, they don't want to open a can of worms by having guys up for reevaluation.

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,545 ✭✭✭✭✭

It seems disingenuous to me. I dont know what exactly Alomar did, but It was bad enough to earn him the same ban as Rose and Jackson. the only difference with Alomar is timing. had these allegations appeared in 2011, no HOF. 2021, HOF.

it seems if something is bad enough to keep a player from the Hall, the same would be serious enough to remove them from the hall.

I wonder what would be serious enough to warrant expulsion.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:
    It seems disingenuous to me. I dont know what exactly Alomar did, but It was bad enough to earn him the same ban as Rose and Jackson. the only difference with Alomar is timing. had these allegations appeared in 2011, no HOF. 2021, HOF.

it seems if something is bad enough to keep a player from the Hall, the same would be serious enough to remove them from the hall.

I wonder what would be serious enough to warrant expulsion.

I agree, if it is bad enough to keep someone out, then it should be enough to remove them.

Football Hall of Fame(with the OJ stuff) said that he would never be removed due to the bylaws. Baseball may be similar.

Mel Hall received a 45 year prison sentence for two counts of sexual assault against minors. What if he had been in the HOF?

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

The Hockey HOF did remove someone due to illegal behavior.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    edited May 1, 2021 5:23AM

@jay0791 said:
    The Hockey HOF did remove someone due to illegal behavior.

Who, what, where, when?

• Options
    jay0791jay0791 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭✭

Slightly wrong

The HOF was going to vote him out. Clear majority was for it inc several top HOFers who would resign if not expelled
    https://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/alan-eagleson-resigns-from-the-hockey-hall-of-fame#:~:text=Alan Eagleson is resigning from,if Eagleson remained a member.

Collecting PSA... FB,BK,HK,and BB HOF RC sets
    1948-76 Topps FB Sets
    FB & BB HOF Player sets
    1948-1993 NY Yankee Team Sets
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭✭

Alomar lost me after the spitting incident years ago.

• Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,094 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jay0791 said:
    Slightly wrong

The HOF was going to vote him out. Clear majority was for it inc several top HOFers who would resign if not expelled
    https://www.cbc.ca/archives/entry/alan-eagleson-resigns-from-the-hockey-hall-of-fame#:~:text=Alan Eagleson is resigning from,if Eagleson remained a member.

Thing is though, Eagleson's case is unique, as he was convicted of crimes he committed in his role that got him inducted into the Hall of Fame in the first place. That is, he was convicted of fraud and embezzlement, and imprisoned, after it was revealed that he had abused his position for many years by defrauding his clients and skimming money from tournaments. One of the clients he defrauded, was Bobby Orr. He was inducted in the "Builders" category.

Steve

• Options

@SDSportsFan said:

@jay0791 said:
    Slightly wrong

Thing is though, Eagleson's case is unique, as he was convicted of crimes he committed in his role that got him inducted into the Hall of Fame in the first place. That is, he was convicted of fraud and embezzlement, and imprisoned, after it was revealed that he had abused his position for many years by defrauding his clients and skimming money from tournaments. One of the clients he defrauded, was Bobby Orr. He was inducted in the "Builders" category.

Steve

Agreed that it’s entirely different set of circumstances