Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The shield nickel , history, design, and varieties....

HalfDimeDudeHalfDimeDude Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have always been a fan of the 5 cent coin. I guess the reason is that my mum always gave me a nickel every day to take to school and buy some penny candy or chips to enjoy durring school hours.
To you younger members who were not around durring the 1960's and don't understand the buying power of the nickel it purchased me enough candy to enjoy durring my elementary school day.
Just to make you understand this time period a quarter could get you lunch at a hamburger joint called Geno's the East coast "McDonald's" in those days. 25 cent got you a hamburger, fries, and a milk shake!
Now back to the history of the 5 cent coin...

Durring and after the civil war hard currency was hoarded by everyone on both sides of the battle lines.
Yes paper money was printed, but backing such notes was not trusted.
Half dimes and all silver coins as well copper were what the people wanted . Silver coins were reeded to stop shaving the edges ,as shaving a coin reduces the coins weight...every coin no matter the composition has a specific weight. And the coins value was determined by that weight especially those made of Silver and gold.
Post 1865 the country needed hard cash in the system.... tney needed a coin to be the work horse of the economy. Durable and in a medal that was hard enough to wear well in circulation and could not be shaved down.
Thus the shield nickel came into play.... a few reasons congress wrote and passed bills to create the shield.
Politics as two house members had both nickel and copper mines...go figure rignt? But the composition .750 copper, .250 nickel with a diameter of 20.5 and a weight of 5 grams. Was a composition that would last a long time in the circulating life of the coin. Designed by James B Longacre all coined in Philadelphia mint.
This was all made possible by the May 16 1866 Act . To increase coinage back into circulation.

The composition of copper and nickel plus the thickness made striking these coin a real chore. Never before had the US mint ever struck a coin at this thickness in such a hard material. Most dies only lasted 10,000 strikes , at that point the die already cracked would explode!

The original desjgn variety 1 rays between stars 1866 & 1867 was changed to variety 2 without rays.
The rays just caused more issues in striking , causing dies to wear faster and break.
Now remember that the government wanted to flood the economy with hard coins ,in a amount that the every day person could use. Thus early mintages were high 1866 14,742,500 pcs.
With 600 proofs coins also struck. Followed by another in 1867 2,019,000 ray type 1 specimens, and the change up to type 2 without rays 28,890,500.
The following years 68,69,70 also had large mintages. Until 1871 where the mint cut back to a little over 4 million pcs. At 4,806,000 pcs.
The series ran through 1883 when the Liberty nickel aka the V nickel by some came into play. Making 1883 a year where both Shield and Liberty nickels were struck. 1,451,500 shield nickels and two types of the Liberty nickel one with out and one with cents on its reverse 5,474,300 without five cents, 16,026,200 coins all minted in Philadelphia.

As a nickel collector I can assure you that there are more variety shield nickels still un discovered then those already found. As a variety collector my post today is to post some of those varieties, and the shield nickel in general.
To show you some of those varieties that are sort of hard to believe exsist. I will post a few RPD's to kick off this thread.... please feel free to post your specimens to this thread.
There is only 1 reference on line for shieds..... and a few out of print books. If you know of other free or links to reference please post.

"That's why I wander and follow La Vie Dansante"

Comments

• Options

Take a good look at the two 1869 specimens, how many date punches were used? How many different types or style of numbers?
    Remember that at this time drinking alcohol durring and at the mint was an acceptable pratice.
    So the liquid lunch was also a liquid breakfast, and as well any breaks.... durring the day. So cheers...lets bang out another 10 k worth of coins and have a nip. :)

• Options
    VetterVetter Posts: 790 ✭✭✭✭✭

Great read and nice pictures! Thanks.
    This is my one and only shield Nickel. Very low mintage.

Members I have done business with:
    Silverman68, jfoot13, GAB, ricman, Smittys, scrapman1077, RyGuy, Connecticoin, Meltdown, VikingDude, Peaceman, Patches and more.
  • Options

The design of the shield nickel....how many know all the different parts of this design do you know?

• Options

@Vetter said:
    Great read and nice pictures! Thanks.
    This is my one and only shield Nickel. Very low mintage.

Nice low mintage specimen 25,900 pcs.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

I need to dedicate more time to this and the Liberty series.

Just don't see enough examples to feel confident about grading, identifying problems, etc...

Certainly a cherrypicker's paradise if you can meld varieties and grading.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options

@yspsales said:
    I need to dedicate more time to this and the Liberty series.

Just don't see enough examples to feel confident about grading, identifying problems, etc...

Certainly a cherrypicker's paradise if you can meld varieties and grading.

A very under rated series.... as a variety collector it makes hunting them very rewarding....the 1869 above a missing leaf specimen. The most desirable variety an 1876 bleeder I have found 2 but unable to capture them as both times someone out gunned me on the bay.... if you have an 76 shield you need to check it...as a medium range price coin could be big bucks!

• Options

There is a reference book now out of print as well out of date on information by the complete guide to Shield and liberty nickels by Gloria Peters and Cynthia Mohon.
    Is still worth adding to your reference library. Mine is now in plastic pages in a binder as it wasnt bound to withstand heavy useage.

• Options

A little-known secret of mine.... while most collectors set their sites on series that are always in demand....this collector goes the opposite direction..... :)
    Why? Because by doing so thers are more available at shows and on web sites.
    Now true one must like what they collect too.... you're not going to buy a pink car when you wanted black! As you wont be happy in the long run. However find a series that are often over looked and bingo you're in high cotton!
    I love doing the happy dance on the parking lot at a show! You know the dance.... the one where your poker face is in stone....until you hit the venue door...Then it starts as a cherry picker! :)

• Options

A perfect example of...i just did a quick look see on the bay of 1876 shields.
    A seller has an proof specimen on sale as Au. Again this is why you buy the book, or do your homework....a lot more meat on that bone than an Au specimen.

• Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 6:47AM

Very nice RPD photos!

If you know of other free or links to reference please post.

Howard's site has some nice variety lists, plus some articles, but does not have full descriptions and photos of the varieties online. For that he has a program called the Shield Nickel Viewer.
    (This is likely the online reference you mentioned).
    http://www.shieldnickels.net/

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have Howard Spindel's SNV and The Shield Five Cent Series by Edward L. Fletcher, Jr. Although the book you list is reasonably obtained, I will stick with these. I haven't bought any Shield Nickels for many years. I have some, I may relook at them.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@yosclimber said:
    Very nice RPD photos!

If you know of other free or links to reference please post.

Howard's site has some nice variety lists, plus some articles, but does not have full descriptions and photos of the varieties online. For that he has a program called the Shield Nickel Viewer.
    (This is likely the online reference you mentioned).
    http://www.shieldnickels.net/

Unfortunately I do not know of other references on the series, but rely on my own personal knowlege of the series,and coins in general.... as well other well known experts in varieties who are well known in the variety field.

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 8:57AM

I must of missed my 1866 in the photo transfer...these are all my graded specimens.
    I also need to image the raw shields also...I need to get ready for Sundays show...so that probably won't happen today . LOL

• Options

@airplanenut said:
    Picked this one up at a show some year back. Always makes me smile.

Wow I can see why....thats one of the nicest ive seen....two thumbs up.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 10:24AM

@retirednow said:
    I as well find the 5 cent pieces of interest and for me it started with my Dad giving me a old Liberty head nickel he brought home for his work from the corner grocery store he owned and ran in the 50/60's.
    I such I expanded my interest in 5 cent Patterns and below is a set of shield patterns I started and that I like to share.

Wow again....in fact im starting to feel a little ....ah what's the word....inadequate lol... i am not the jealous or envious type. Please keep posting specimens like above. Im just happy that I have baited the hook several times now....on a few post! That have shook loose some monster coins.
    That set is the bomb! And you should be very proud to own and display. Thanks for posting!

• Options

Perhasp a theme for another thread... but looking at the set above doesn't it make you wonder just how talented the early coin artist truly were?
    I know Teddy Roosevelt wanted our money to reflect how beautiful our Nation " the U. S. " that is ....to his vision ,and love of nature.
    The artist who did design our coins, and currency were more advanced to my eye,and liking then anything computer generated today! That's my honest opinion.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 10:40AM

Here's an 1876 I bought for the lamination separation or delamination, I guess.
    Jim
    Edited to add: Not a bleeder, though.

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options

@jesbroken said:
    Here's an 1876 I bought for the lamination separation or delamination, I guess.
    Jim
    Edited to add: Not a bleeder, though.

Not to many people know that term... nice lamination error

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 7:00PM

I do believe that if more collectors were aware of shield nickels in general and understood what to look for they be much more in demand. But again less interest makes for better pickins for me ! :) ill need to image the raw ones next !

• Options

Here's a image of a 76 bleeder variety, notice how the vertical lines go up and over the Horzonal lines..... this a slip of an unsteady hand during engraving. Those little lines makes a $35/40 coin into a $450. Coin in vf

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude some GREAT reading! I too love the shield nickle. Here is a couple graded ones I have.

Ken
  • Options

@1946Hamm said:
    How about some proofs.

@1946Hamm said:
    How about some proofs.

How about TWO THUMBS UP!!! WOW nice collection. I appreciate your post and sharing your shields!

• Options

I just aquired this specimen an 1866 looks to be a winner as soon as its in hand ill be sure its variety.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

this reminds me of some discoveries i have in the series that i haven't thought about for a long time.

howard was a great pleasure to work with getting attributions, designations, images for the database and more. :+1:

some very nice and fun coins in this thread. :smiley:

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:
    this reminds me of some discoveries i have in the series that i haven't thought about for a long time.

howard was a great pleasure to work with getting attributions, designations, images for the database and more. :+1:

I just spoke to Howard tonight about this variety.

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 6, 2021 7:33PM

@HalfDimeDude said:
    Here's a image of a 76 bleeder variety, notice how the vertical lines go up and over the Horzonal lines..... this a slip of an > unsteady hand during engraving. Those little lines makes a $35/40 coin into a $450. Coin in vf

reading the pales, tines and gules come in handy on capped bust halves too. :)

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@HalfDimeDude said:
    Here's a image of a 76 bleeder variety, notice how the vertical lines go up and over the Horzonal lines..... this a slip of an > unsteady hand during engraving. Those little lines makes a $35/40 coin into a $450. Coin in vf

Yeah I have found some crazy things on half dimes too! A parishal part of a shield in the date area. As its shape and thickness overlays the top right part of the shield. From mid point to right corner. Theres nothing else that remotely comes close .

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,674 ✭✭✭✭✭

Excellent pics and collections all! Thanks for waking me up this morning. Shield nickels are definitely interesting and worth the effort. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options

@HalfDimeDude said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

Yeah I have found some crazy things on half dimes too! A parishal part of a shield in the date area. As its shape and thickness overlays the top right part of the shield. From mid point to right corner. Theres nothing else that remotely comes close .

Got photos?
    I have seen some heavy clashes in the date area on half dimes, with the top of the wreath.
    When it's heavy enough, you can sometimes read the date in the corresponding reverse clash.
    It occurs on different dates, and I remember it particularly on 1858.

• Options

@yosclimber said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

Got photos?
    I have seen some heavy clashes in the date area on half dimes, with the top of the wreath.
    When it's heavy enough, you can sometimes read the date in the corresponding reverse clash.

Let me pull the date and put it under the scpoe . Ill post and tag you. Clint

• Options
    BuffaloIronTailBuffaloIronTail Posts: 7,413 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said:
    Take a good look at the two 1869 specimens, how many date punches were used? How many different types or style of numbers?
    Remember that at this time drinking alcohol durring and at the mint was an acceptable pratice.
    So the liquid lunch was also a liquid breakfast, and as well any breaks.... durring the day. So cheers...lets bang out another 10 k worth of coins and have a nip. :)

Kudos to you for the article! This is the kind of stuff that should be posted here.

Pete

"I tell them there's no problems.....only solutions" - John Lennon
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2021 4:11PM

@yosclimber said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

Got photos?

Here ya go Clint.... I should of brought this to your attention sooner as I have shown this to several over the years I have had it in the collection. No one seems to know exactly what it is...many guesses no cigar as of yet!
    @yosclimber

You will notice that the upper right corner is actually tripple punched...hard to see on the image but in hand it is... the reason I say top section of the shield it is the only thing I see that is anything close to the shape and size. Again it is raised medal not flat or punched into the flat surface. So not like a strike through. To my eyes in hand it looks like it was punched into the obv. Die .

• Options

@BuffaloIronTail said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

Kudos to you for the article! This is the kind of stuff that should be posted here.

Pete

Well thank you. I am a honest person who does infact believes that there are 3 sides to a coin, as well the facts! Every augment has 3 sides yours , mine, and the truth!
    I was fortunate enough to ha e a professor in college who taught at my college and the USNA in Annapolis. Prof. Duffy taught history in a mannor that I as well many others had never read, taught, or understood.... as from grade 4 our history books were cherry picked to enstill what the school board or teacher view was.
    People have the right to know, that so many factors enter into your education. Political, reglious, demographics, etc....I wont go here as this isnt the place to debate. But no matter of what of the above formention ,one should be advise of the other points of view to determine what their believe is or should be for their personal choice.
    Fact I do believe that the British Navy up until the end of the Falkland island war....still had daily rum rations. Pussers Rum.... still distilled was a British Navy sailors daily right!
    As stated about drinking at the mint as well othef jobs was tolerated. Many a bar had a free lunch with a 5 cent beer purchase with said lunch. So if you left tbe plant or factory for lunch 9 times out of 10 you had something to drink....and it wasnt ice tea!

• Options

From 1850 until 1970 the British rum raition known as a "tot" was gjven out every day at mid day.
    The seniors officers who received theirs "neat" petty officers and above.
    Those below that grade got theirs mixed with water a 'grog' 3 fingers worth...71 ml.
    Now when you signed on a ship you were asked ....to mark the book "G" for grog, or "T'' for temperance . Non drinkers recieved a 3 pence a day in lieu of their rum ration.

• Options
    edited May 7, 2021 8:05AM

@HalfDimeDude said:

@yosclimber said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

Got photos?

Here ya go Clint.... I should of brought this to your attention sooner as I have shown this to several over the years I have had it in the collection. No one seems to know exactly what it is...many guesses no cigar as of yet!
    @yosclimber

You will notice that the upper right corner is actually tripple punched...hard to see on the image but in hand it is... the reason I say top section of the shield it is the only thing I see tgat is anything close to the shape and size. Again it is raised medal not flat or punched into the flat surface. So not like a strike through. To my eyes in hand it looks like it was punched into the obv. Die .

I recognize your coin as an example of the 1848 V-5, based on the bisecting reverse crack. (It's #44 of the "Top 100" varieties).
    I have several large photos of high grade 1848 V-5 coins.
    None of them have clashes or raised areas beneath the 1 in the date.
    Is this area under the one you described as "the upper right corner is actually triple punched"?

• Options

@yosclimber said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@yosclimber said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

@HalfDimeDude said:

Got photos?

@yosclimber

You will notice that the upper right corner is actually tripple punched...hard to see on the image but in hand it is... the reason I say top section of the shield it is the only thing I see tgat is anything close to the shape and size. Again it is raised medal not flat or punched into the flat surface. So not like a strike through. To my eyes in hand it looks like it was punched into the obv. Die .

I recognize your coin as an example of the 1848 V-5, based on the bisecting reverse crack. (It's #44 of the "Top 100" varieties).
    I have several large photos of high grade 1848 V-5 coins.
    None of them have clashes or raised areas beneath the 1 in the date.
    Is this area under the one you described as "the upper right corner is actually triple punched"?

Do I win something. LoL I hope so..... :)

• Options

It's one of those coins which I could probably figure out if I had it under my stereo microscope,
    but is more difficult with 2d photos, even though this is a fairly good photo.
    The line under the 1 seems very narrow and sharp, like there was an impact which raised it.

• Options
    RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HalfDimeDude said:

@LanceNewmanOCC said:

I just spoke to Howard tonight about this variety.

That is a very cool repunched date! Congrats!

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Shield nickel series sure is replete with all kinds of outstanding die varieties, that's for sure. I have one of the better 1872 doubled die obverses, Die #3.

• Options

So today I found this specimen an 1869 tall date shield. Or sometimes refered to as skinny date ,but is actually just a normal date lol..... if you study most 1869 shields have thicker digits on the coins. Now if I am correct the 1869 normal date pups are a die crack thru the date, taller looking digits, and the lla reverse, none to my knowledge have any other reverse's.
    The lla reverse is easy to distinguish the top right star point is broken and the stars point reference to the F in of.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file