Home Buy, Sell & Trade - World & Ancient Coins
Options

Mexico 1983 Proof Set -- the rest of the coins....

Some of you may be familiar with the first proof set of Mexico. Most of the coins in the set are dated 1983, but the 5, 10, and 20 Pesos are dated 1982. And that is strange for most people.

The man who worked with the Mexican Mint to get that set made is now deceased, but the way I remember him telling me was the dies for the 1983 emission of those coins were not ready because the coins were not requested by the Bank of Mexico for circulation. So the Mint provided 1982-dated proof coins for those 3 denominations, much to the dismay of the marketers who thought they were going to be selling a 1983 Proof Set.

Sometime later in 1983, the Mint produced dies for those coins and struck off a very limited emission of 1983-dated proof-only 5, 10, and 20 Peso coins--the same designs that are part of the Proof Set, but dated 1982 in that set. (Apparently, at least one Proof Set exists with all 1983-dated coins, though I have not seen it.) Since these 1983-dated coins are proof-only, circulation strikes dated 1983 do not exist. The only way to get that date is to buy the proofs.

Anyway, I am writing this because now is your chance to obtain the missing 1983 proof 5, 10, and 20 Pesos coins to complete your Proof Set. I am auctioning off a set of my duplicates at Heritage on May 7.

Perhaps somebody here will buy them? Good luck.

Link to the auction lot.

Comments

• Options
    pruebaspruebas Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last chance for these really scarce coins! Set of 3 in one lot. They are going to sell for WAY below what I paid for them ~15 years ago (which is fine as the market is what it is).