Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

The 43 cards deserve their own thread. 80s results scans

First of all let me say I am thankful for the grades received on the 86 Donruss 87 Tiffany’s and 84 Fleer Updates. All were fair and firm. Really excited about my 84 Topps Traded Gooden, 81 Topps Traded Fernando and 85 Donruss Clemens. I personally believe these cards as a group are among the nicest I have ever subbed to PSA

Looking for FB HOF Rookies

Comments

• 76collector76collector Posts: 986 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:
    First of all let me say I am thankful for the grades received on the 86 Donruss 87 Tiffany’s and 84 Fleer Updates. All were fair and firm. Really excited about my 84 Topps Traded Gooden, 81 Topps Traded Fernando and 85 Donruss Clemens. I personally believe these cards as a group are among the nicest I have ever subbed to PSA

Now that you have them in hand I'd really love to hear your opinion on the difference in the 1980 Topps Nolan Ryan's and the 84 Topps traded Gooden's. They look the same to me based off the scans. Maybe the 10 has the slightest advantage in top to bottom centering ? Did you notice any flaws in the 8 ? And the Ryan 6 looks like an 8 to me. Bottom right corner touch ? These grades coming back recently don't seem to have a lot of rhyme or reason to them IMO.

Jeff

I cannot hit curveball. Straightball I hit it very much. Curveball, bats are afraid.
    Collecting:
    post world war II HOF rookie
    76 topps gem mint 10 commons 9 stars
    Arenado purple refractors(Rockies) Red (Cardinals)
    successful deals with Keevan, Grote15, 1954, mbogoman
  • rexvosrexvos Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2021 10:20AM

@76collector said:

@rexvos said:

Now that you have them in hand I'd really love to hear your opinion on the difference in the 1980 Topps Nolan Ryan's and the 84 Topps traded Gooden's. They look the same to me based off the scans. Maybe the 10 has the slightest advantage in top to bottom centering ? Did you notice any flaws in the 8 ? And the Ryan 6 looks like an 8 to me. Bottom right corner touch ? These grades coming back recently don't seem to have a lot of rhyme or reason to them IMO.

Jeff

Jeff,

In all honesty I own a 9 of the 1980 Nolan the 8 is just as nice . The 6 has a bottom right corner ding. I really can’t really dispute that. The 84 TT Gooden has a tiny spec of white on the back right corner. Think it should have garnered a 9. I have very little luck with any 84 Topps though just thrilled to get the one 10

• NJ80sBBCNJ80sBBC Posts: 720 ✭✭✭✭

I see your sub and realize how incredibly difficult it is to dime the 80s stuff. These posts have been Public Service Announcements for ppl like me who have never subbed before.

You have some gorgeous cards there, regardless of the grades!

But those 10s are awesome. Congrats and thanks for sharing.

John

Conundrum - Loving my unopened baseball card collection....but really like ripping too
  • jayhawkejayhawke Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭

Those are great looking cards. The faces of the '80's.

• GoDodgersFanGoDodgersFan Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

This is like going down memory lane. I collected all these darn cards as a kid. That 1981 Topps Fernando is a keeper and thanks for sharing.

• nam812nam812 Posts: 10,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

The centering on that 1985 Topps Clemens is outstanding.

@nam812 said:
    The centering on that 1985 Topps Clemens is outstanding.

I had about 30 to choose from subbed 2 total. The other one was a 9. Just as nicely centered.

• bobbybakerivbobbybakeriv Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭✭

The Crime Dog!!!!!! Nice job!

• weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2021 7:04PM

That is a great, great run down memory lane. Thank you.

The two 86 Donruss Canseco 10s.....yeah....not the same. Good for you on getting both

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

@rexvos said:

nice hit on the canseco donruss ten's. and mcgriff rookies.

• lwehlerslwehlers Posts: 860 ✭✭✭✭✭

also what happened to the sandberg donruss rookie. why do you think it got a seven.

@lwehlers said:
    also what happened to the sandberg donruss rookie. why do you think it got a seven.

No clue. I have cracked several 7s out in the past that got 9s. Just typical inconsistency