Home Buy, Sell, & Trade - U.S. Coins

WTB: Something from the 18th century

I've been collecting for about a year now, and i think the oldest coin i have is a 1846 large cent. I've got an itch for something with a 17 in the front.

What's the most cost effective purchase for something from the 1700's?

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

Comments

• JimTylerJimTyler Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2021 8:38AM

Low grade / problem 1798 large cent. Maybe 1797 if you want US, lots of foreign cheapies.

• airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

@JimTyler said:
    Low grade / problem 1798 large cent. Maybe 1797 if you want US, lots of foreign cheapies.

Agreed. You can get nice foreign material with a 16 or 15 for $20-50 if you want. I'd go with the 1798 large cent if you want US. If you want something that circulated in the colonies, British copper and silver, or Spanish silver, was prevalent and can be found cheap and in nice condition. You'll get a lot more coin for the money, but it won't be a US issue.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • JimWJimW Posts: 540 ✭✭✭✭

Be careful... once you have one, you'll want more :smiley:

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@JimTyler said:

Agreed. You can get nice foreign material with a 16 or 15 for $20-50 if you want. I'd go with the 1798 large cent if you want US. If you want something that circulated in the colonies, British copper and silver, or Spanish silver, was prevalent and can be found cheap and in nice condition. You'll get a lot more coin for the money, but it won't be a US issue.

@VTchaser this is excellent guidance. I've played in this area for years and this is spot on. But, just like @JimW says, proceed with caution because it's like french fries or potato chips - nearly impossible to stop after one ;)

Here's a perfect example. Nice full date, lots of detail, purchased for under $160. You may have to hunt a bit but these types of coins are still out there.

Depending on your budget, you can go as high $$ wise as you like, I prefer the G-VG range. Keeps me out of trouble with my wife ;)

edited April 29, 2021 9:13PM

Here's an example of a world coin I bought for just over $100. It's a Great Britain Silver Maundy 1D from 1732, the year George Washington was born so it appealed to me. Lots and lots of fun can be had in this arena if you 1) enjoy the hunt and 2)invest the time to search a LOT of listings.

• 1630Boston1630Boston Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

Successful transactions with : MICHAELDIXON, Manorcourtman, Bochiman, bolivarshagnasty, AUandAG, onlyroosies, chumley, Weiss, jdimmick, BAJJERFAN, gene1978, TJM965, Smittys, GRANDAM, JTHawaii, mainejoe, softparade, derryb

Bad transactions with : nobody to date

• VTchaserVTchaser Posts: 284 ✭✭✭

@RB1026 said:

Here's a perfect example. Nice full date, lots of detail, purchased for under $160. You may have to hunt a bit but these types of coins are still out there.

Depending on your budget, you can go as high $$ wise as you like, I prefer the G-VG range. Keeps me out of trouble with my wife ;)

Ooohhh I like that one. Love the fraction 1/100 (it's the engineer in me). I don't need something slabbed, so was curious if someone had something like this they'd be willing to part with. G condition is adequate for me. Like i said, it's just an itch! Once i get one, i'll probably end up spending more money on others down the line.

Successful transactions with: robkool, Walkerguy21D, JimW, Bruce7789, massscrew, Jinx86, jonasdenenbergllc, Yorkshireman, bobsr, tommyrusty7, markelman1125, Kliao, DBSTrader2, SurfinxHI, ChrisH821, CoinHoarder, Bolo, MICHAELDIXON, bigtime36, JWP, 1960NYGiants

• markelman1125markelman1125 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

@RB1026 said:

That’s a nice one, currently I am going to buy a cc Morgan but if you still have it in a month or two I might buy.

Thanks to Walkerguy21D for my first 18th century coin! :)