Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Unopened Wax Boxes - Grade the packs, leave it be or rip?

envoy982envoy982 Posts: 368 ✭✭✭

I picked up 2 1983 topps football wax boxes and a 90 fleer basketball box. The two football boxes are returns with the black stripe. One is opened (packs are all sealed) and one still has tape on it from many years ago. In your opinion, are these worth just ripping the packs and pulling the rookies and HOF'ers for grading or just keeping the boxes as-is or should I get the packs graded? I see 1983 football packs in PSA 8 are $60+ a piece. I'm into the 83 football boxes for $350 each and ~200 on the 90 fleer basketball. (I slightly overpaid for that because I got a better deal on the fb IMO)

I am chasing the HOF fb RC registry set and there a couple of cards in the 83 boxes that fit the bill (Marcus Allen and Kenny Easley off the top of my head)

Comments

• Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭✭✭

IMHO get the 83 packs graded then sell off what is needed to fund the 83 cards you seek. That way you are ensured of getting what you want.

As for the 90 Fleer BB, current euphoria aside, they printed those until they depleted the worlds paper/pulp supply back in 1990. Not sure how that relates to your question but it's my only thought. :)

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options
    envoy982envoy982 Posts: 368 ✭✭✭

@82FootballWaxMemorys said:
    IMHO get the 83 packs graded then sell off what is needed to fund the 83 cards you seek. That way you are ensured of getting what you want.

As for the 90 Fleer BB, current euphoria aside, they printed those until they depleted the worlds paper/pulp supply back in 1990. Not sure how that relates to your question but it's my only thought. :)

Lol - fair enough on the 90 fleer. It is crazy times we are in. On the football, thanks for the feedback. I’ve never graded packs, just cards, so I couldn’t tell you the difference from an 8 to a 10. Given the sell prices even graded an 8 it seems like a good financial decision.

• Options
    balco758balco758 Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭✭✭

Cost of Grading 10-20 packs adds up quickly. Just 1 data point to consider.

• Options
    JakeR2234JakeR2234 Posts: 236 ✭✭✭

I'd consider getting one or both of the 83s wrapped by Steve at BBCE, maybe grading packs from the other that look clean and centered or if you can see any stars through the wrappers. 83s are possible to see top and bottom in most cases.

90 I would look for Jordan on top or bottom and get those slabbed.

PC Walter Payton - Bear Down!