Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

What's my first step???

Hey guys, new to the forum. I joined this forum because I recently inherited...literally...thousands of baseball, basketball, football, boxing and hockey cards from my dad that passed away. It's so overwhelming the amount of cards that I have gotten. I have no idea where to start as far trying to find an expert to appraise them. I have many box sets as well as singles. The years range from 1986-1993. I'm welcome to any advice or suggestions.

Thanks guys!!!

Answers

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 3:33PM

welcome and sorry to hear.

first thing first, enjoy the process. its not a race and there is no timeline. a good start would be to think about guys your dad liked , you liked or you remember fondly and pull those to the side. cant place a monetary value on stuff like that.

then perhaps break down into sports. post pics here of oldest stuff first. and dont be afraid to ask questions.

considering the date ranges, id look for ‘86 fleer basketball or anything derek jeter.

• Options
    nam812nam812 Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭✭

Very sorry to hear about the passing of your father. Whether there is value in the collection or not, I hope that going through them brings back good memories of you dad for you.

• Options
    Bosox1976Bosox1976 Posts: 8,536 ✭✭✭✭✭

For those years, start with basketball - those are hot years.

Mike
    Bosox1976
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,233 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the boards. Condolences on the loss of your father.

I would separate by sport, set aside any sealed sets, then by year, pulling rookies and HOFers as you go.

Might be a good idea to list them on a spreadsheet of some kind.

Most, if not all of the cards from those years will need to be "mint" to have value. Have plenty of card savers on hand before you begin.

Go to ebay's sold items and see what the stuff is going for.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    82FootballWaxMemorys82FootballWaxMemorys Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭✭✭

My condolences on your loss.

Along with items already noted I'd look for an 1986 Jerry Rice

Unless otherwise specified my posts represent only my opinion, not fact.

• Options

Use the "Trading Card Database" to create your inventory. A great site that I visit every day. They list by set or team or player for all sports and they have images too. So you can look at and price your collection without physically handling the cards. A few stats:
    Cards Listed: 13,915,888
    Cards with Images: 3,776,584
    Sets Listed: 260,226
    A fabulous resource for a sports and non sports card collector.

• Options

Thanks for the tips guys. It's very much appreciated!

• Options
    OmegaDOmegaD Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited April 29, 2021 3:59PM

In particular with basketball, look for 1986-1988 Michael Jordans. For that matter, put aside anything from the 1986-87 Fleer basketball set. There are other good rookie and star cards in it.

• Options
    weaselpuppyweaselpuppy Posts: 218 ✭✭✭

Hell, graded 9 guys like Rolando Blackmon are nearing 2 bills in 86 Fleer.

Sorry to hear of your father, Take your time.

My dad owned a hobby shop and I had every Revell model you can think of....bought cards wholesale from the distrubutor when I was 13....and a lot of candy bars...

Pull things that make you feel connected to that time and him.

Good luck on the finds, should be....fulfilling? Cathartic? Difficult? Nostalgic? Heartwarming? Yeah, be sure to hit all of those.

• Options

I was remiss in not offering my condolences on your dad's passing in my first post. I apologize. My dad has been gone for 22 years and I think of him every day. It warms my heart and I strive to be the kind of dad he was - "family first." Always remember the good times it helps to ease the suffering. As for collecting, my son and I have been doing it for 34 years. He is approaching 40 and we still enjoy ripping packs. In fact we're gonna do it today - 2009 Donruss Gridiron Gear. Hoping for an Edelman rookie.

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

OP says 1986 hockey and boxing. That means Mike Tyson & Patrick Roy