Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Thoughts on the New UFC Panini Prizms? Good Investment Opportunities?

NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

We are thinking of buying a few boxes and holding onto them for a while, thoughts?
Thanks!

Comments

• Options

I picked up a box at $1000. First UFC Prizm product. Early reviews are the Topps cards (they don't have the license anymore) were better quality but people love the Prizm look and it's an established product line with a huge following. The Color Blast inserts will be huge. McGregor fight upcoming and UFC seems to get bigger each year. Buy and hold IMO.

Joe

IG: goatcollectibles23

The biggest lesson I've learned in this hobby, and in life, is that if you have a strong conviction, you owe it to yourself to see it through. Don't sell yourself, or your investments, short. Unless the facts change. Then sell it all.
  • Options
    CrashingwavesCrashingwaves Posts: 171 ✭✭✭

Panini UFC Select was just released.

As a long time UFC collector... the Panini cards look okay, prizm had a few nice rookies and will see how select goes but in general, I think Panini is crazy greedy and over producing (not a surprise lol). The market is mainly flippers and speculators right now

• Options
    NorcalNorcal Posts: 277 ✭✭✭

@Crashingwaves said:
    Panini UFC Select was just released.

As a long time UFC collector... the Panini cards look okay, prizm had a few nice rookies and will see how select goes but in general, I think Panini is crazy greedy and over producing (not a surprise lol). The market is mainly flippers and speculators right now

UFC seems to be getting more popular lately (especially after the megregor fight). I have noticed some of the high end auto’s psa 10’s are going for a lot now. When Panini first came out we bought 5 boxes and got some decent hits hopefully when the cost to grade with psa goes down we can grade some of them.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

i would buy up the topps personally. stuff that was unpopular at the time, tends to be the bigger winners once the nostalgia sets in.

• Options

@blurryface said:
    i would buy up the topps personally. stuff that was unpopular at the time, tends to be the bigger winners once the nostalgia sets in.

Wise words... personally, I only collect the older MMA and Topps UFC cards.

When I chat with the new collectors who have joined the hobby since Panini acquired the UFC lic... they have no clue about the Topps cards. A Khabib 1/1 Panini Prizm auto sold for $47,000k on ebay last week.... Khabib has had auto cards in the Topps releases since 2014 (Topps UFC Knockout had Khabib's 1st autos... and only 173 made). Below is my fav Khabib card... 2014 KO nickname auto /15... which I need to get graded

• Options

Here is a question for all the other big sports collectors. Has there been another sport rise in global popularity such as MMA/UFC in our lifetime?

It is only a matter of time before it becomes an Olympic sport... already a lot of national pride involved with the fighters and fans. The Khabib card I displayed in the post... most of the 15 made are owned by a fan in Kuwait who paid $$$$.

However, it is not like other sports in that it lacks teams and seasons and MMA fans can be fickle. Makes me wonder where MMA cards will go... and I hope Panini does not kill the market with greed and over production.

• Options
    CakesCakes Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭✭✭

@blurryface said:

I agree about the Topps, while the UFC Panini Prizm's started well they seem to have fizzled. I would expect the same for the just released Panini UFC Select except for some of the bigger hard to find autos.

Successful coin BST transactions with Gerard and segoja.

Successful card BST transactions with cbcnow, brogurt, gstarling, Bravesfan 007, and rajah 424.