Home Q & A Forum
Options

To slab or not to slab?

Hello. I have inherited several hundred $20 Liberty double eagles ranging in date between 1861 to 1928. I would like to sell some or perhaps all of them but I do not know who to trust and I am no expert in grading these beauties. They are all circulated but all appear to be in good to very good shape (AU 58 +/-). Some are already slabbed. My question is with this much on the line, should I go ahead and have the rest slabbed so that I receive fair value for the sale?

I appreciate any help and suggestions. Thanks.

Tracy

Best Answers

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

only slab the better date and mintmark ones

the common, circulated ones are going for a low premium over gold value and would not benefit from slabbing. likewaise for low grade ones.

what do you have already slabbed and what are the grades?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭✭✭

We're talking about a lot of money here, so don't be in too much of a hurry. Find a reputable coin dealer near you who can pre-screen your coins and advise you which will benefit from a slab and which will be sold as bullion. He can also handle the submissions for you. You can afford to make it worth his time. These coins are going to bring $1800 and up for each.

• Options

well, I was going to give an idea for value... or how to find the value... of each so you don't get ripped off by someone greedy.

I'd say if you had to buy the really common ones it'd be at least $1900 to buy each, and then up from there.

of course, the price you get to sell them will be lower.

definitely do not be in a hurry to sell. take some time and you can unlock value.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Welcome to the forum! :)

"I do not know who to trust and I am no expert in grading these beauties."

You can trust Heritage Auctions.

"My question is with this much on the line, should I go ahead and have the rest slabbed so that I receive fair value for the sale?"

Heritage will help you with grading the coins that are worth it.

"With this kind of money on the line I would fly to a reputable coin dealer I could trust."

Heritage will instruct you on the proper way to ship & insure.

If you don't like that option or would like another one you could post on the main board or the BST board for a reputable dealer in your city. You may have a dealer a short drive away that would buy the whole collection.

Answers

• Options

Thanks guys and gals. I agree with all that. It’s a fair amount of money. I just wanna be treated fairly and I’m hesitant if they know actual values and I do not.

• Options

With this kind of money on the line I would fly to a reputable coin dealer I could trust. Any suggestions/

Many thanks

• Options

I'll see if one of our more connected members can suggest. let me contact him.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 5:58PM

Welcome to the forum.

There are a number of companies that trade large volumes of such coins on a daily basis and I work for one of them. I’d be happy to assist.

Feel free to send me a private message and in order to be prudent, ask around about Heritage and me.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options

Thanks MFeld for coming over to help

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MsMorrisine said:
    Thanks MFeld for coming over to help

Thank you. PM sent to @TracyB

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    bearcavebearcave Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 7:41PM

Ken
  • Options
    TracyBTracyB Posts: 4

Thank you everyone. It’s nice to see such a kind and helpful group!

• Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 17, 2021 1:38PM

@TracyB I can vouch from personal experience for Mark Feld’s Honesty, Numismatic Knowledge, Trustworthiness and Experience.

@MFeld is one of the really great guys in the coin business!! 👍

Bought this from him back in 2009 and still love it!!

Photo Credit: Jeremy Katz - 2009

Stuart

Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

"Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"