Home Sports Talk

Dennis Rodman on LeBron James

craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rodman was asked how he would do vs Lebron James on Defense.

"His game is too simple. He's just big. Scottie Pippen would shut his F****** a** down quick before I get to him. He don't have any moves."

That is a pretty strong statement. I do think Rodman would be successful against James most of the time though. the guy had a motor and just wouldn't quit.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

Comments

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think Rodman would do a better job defending Lebron than Pippen would. Rodman might be one of the few players in nba history that could match up with him physically.

Lebron isn’t getting much love from some NBA greats today, Dr J was just asked in an interview to name two all time All-NBA teams and he didn’t have Lebron on either.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

maybe LeBron is getting some backlash for some recent comments...

No,I doubt that has anything do with either of Rodman or Dr J’s comments. Rodman’s was clearly about him & Pippen shutting him down on defense and Erving’s was about Lebron needing to put together super teams in order to win.

• hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 11:10AM

Someone needs to permanently connect Rodman's nose ring to his bottom lip ring.

• galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,113 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

maybe LeBron is getting some backlash for some recent comments...

him opining has never really bothered me, as that is his right, but that ignorant, ill-informed, now-deleted tweet struck a chord with me and now i'm permanently washing my hands of him

he's inciteful (the antithesis of insightful)

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lebron is one of the greats but his legacy is going to be known for being on stacked “Super Teams” like Dr J said

• BrickBrick Posts: 4,923 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Cavs were not a super team. They sucked. Add LeBron, they get to the NBA finals. LeBron leaves, they suck again. He comes back, they win the Finals against a dynasty. He leaves, the Cavs suck again. He is what makes any team he is on a super team. JMHO

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

edited April 28, 2021 12:24PM

Lebron agreed to sign back with Cleveland only after the Cavs & Timberwolves agreed on a trade that brought a 3rd all-star to Cleveland in Love. I do agree that Lebron is clearly the main piece on those teams but having three All Stars in your starting lineup is considered a Super Team.

It also shows you how inept that Cleveland Cavaliers franchise has been over the years when Lebron leaves for Miami for four years and during that timespan the Cavs ended up with these draft picks:
    2011 1st overall & 4th overall picks
    2012 4th overall pick
    2013 1st overall pick
    2014 1st overall pick
    If the Cavaliers had any semblance of competence in their front office over the past 10 years they still be a juggernaut right now with Lebron still leading the team.

• TabeTabe Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭✭✭

@erikthredd said:
    Erving’s was about Lebron needing to put together super teams in order to win.

Hey Doc, how many titles did you win in Philly before Moses Malone showed up?

• 1948_Swell_Robinson1948_Swell_Robinson Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 4:47PM

@Tabe said:

@erikthredd said:
    Erving’s was about Lebron needing to put together super teams in order to win.

Hey Doc, how many titles did you win in Philly before Moses Malone showed up?

He won two in the ABA.

The Erving led Sixers were serious contenders every year in the NBA. They lost three finals(two to the Magic/Jabbar Lakers). They got bounced in Eastern Finals by the Bird Celtics. Then yes, won with Moses the following year.

I would say Erving did quite well without seeking a Super Team to achieve self esteem.

Erving is one of the greatest and most respected players in all of sports.

While Bird and Magic get the 'credit' for saving the NBA, and Jordan for propelling it into the stratosphere...it was Erving who paved the way to the awe inspiring product that truly generated the building blocks to what the NBA became. LeBron can thank him and listen to what he has to say.

For one of the best sports videos ever made, they chose the "Greatest Love of All," appropriately:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY9uSAxMstQ

You don't receive this kind of respect around the league by accident. Julius Erving personified Class and Respect. All athletes should take note:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0uFLcBIhlA

• ShaunBC5ShaunBC5 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dudes would have been putting together super teams for decades, had it been allowed. Free agency is still pretty new, especially unrestricted FA. The result is that some of the blame for player moves shifts from the front office to the player. The Cavs had to mortgage their future to make LBJ happy and are paying for the Championships today.
    Dr. J laid a bunch of ground work. Magic and MJ showed what having 3+ HOFers on the same team can do, Bird helped everybody get paid to stay home (rights) and unrestricted free agency allowed today’s players to decide where they wanted to win.

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    He won two in the ABA.

So zero then.

The Erving led Sixers were serious contenders every year in the NBA. They lost three finals(two to the Magic/Jabbar Lakers). They got bounced in Eastern Finals by the Bird Celtics. Then yes, won with Moses the following year.

I would say Erving did quite well without seeking a Super Team to achieve self esteem.

How many did he win in the NBA before Moses showed up?

No doubt about it. Great player!

You don't receive this kind of respect around the league by accident. Julius Erving personified Class and Respect. All athletes should take note:

Erving was a classy player. Classy person, not so much.

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

While Dr. J may not have been as good a player as Magic, Bird and Jordan, he could still dunk a basketball at 63 years of age!!

63!!! Im not sure if bird could still dunk at 33.

really, I'm not lying. its on Youtube

@Tabe said:

@1948_Swell_Robinson said:
    He won two in the ABA.

So zero then.

How many did he win in the NBA before Moses showed up?

No doubt about it. Great player!

Erving was a classy player. Classy person, not so much.

Still two titles. Point being, he didn't need to put together a super team to have that sense of self esteem. Lebron is soft. Lebron needed that affirmation, so Erving is correct.

Erving always overwhelmingly credited his teammates for their team's success. Lebron is the opposite.

• fergie23fergie23 Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭✭

I find the Lebron super team criticism to be so disingenuous. Erving's 83 NBA championship team had 4 HOFers, let alone All Stars - Moses Malone (12 time All Star), Maurice Cheeks (4 time All Star), Bobby Jones (4 time All Star, 8 time All-Defensive First team), & Erving. They also had Andrew Toney, a 2 time All Star. Magic & Bird's teams had a similar composition of HOFers & All Stars. There have always been super teams, fans just whine now because it is players that are making it happen.

Robb

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2021 8:19AM

Shoot, Dr J. made his name at Rucker Park in Harlem, people used to sit on rooftops to watch him do his thing. Look at this photo, you can see people sitting on apartment rooftops just to watch him.

Current NBA owes a lot to the Doctor.

@fergie23 said:
    I find the Lebron super team criticism to be so disingenuous. Erving's 83 NBA championship team had 4 HOFers, let alone All Stars - Moses Malone (12 time All Star), Maurice Cheeks (4 time All Star), Bobby Jones (4 time All Star, 8 time All-Defensive First team), & Erving. They also had Andrew Toney, a 2 time All Star. Magic & Bird's teams had a similar composition of HOFers & All Stars. There have always been super teams, fans just whine now because it is players that are making it happen.

Robb

Takes a great team to win...no doubt. That isn't quite what Erving is saying though.

Yes, and Dr. J dunks could really be earth shattering, like his famous cradle dunk. He was the superstar that everyone wanted to see.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=SrlBgLdGKZM

Dr. J was superhuman, here's the story of his famous scoop layup, one of the greatest moves in NBA history.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhdGihdnSKQ

And Dr. J has some of the most iconic photos in sports history. Lebron is a great player, but he'll never be Dr. J

• keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

Lebron James pays for his non-NBA comments the way that Pete Rose pays for his gambling. everyone, especially the critics at this forum, need to just accept both as two of the greatest players who have ever played in their respective Sports.

@fergie23 said:

Robb

It's also disingenuous in that I guarantee you some of the modern critics would have done the exact same thing if they could have. As if players would intentionally choose to go to a worse team or to NOT bring in better players because they want to win a title in a specific way. Get serious.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off topic...... I'll take this opportunity to ask anyone reading this to look at how Rodman did against Bird. Albeit Rodman was younger and Bird was disintegrating. Bird gets my GOAT vote.

I digress, Rodman was an elite defender, athletically and psychologically. Lebron vs Rodman would be fun to watch.