Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

When you buy from eBay "Make offer", usually how many % discount do you offer?

I do not want to offend the seller.

Comments

• Options
    TurtleCatTurtleCat Posts: 4,595 ✭✭✭✭✭

It kind of depends on the situation. Most of the time it’s 10%. I have asked 15-20% when the item has been around a long time and I feel the seller’s price is pretty high retail.

I don’t do it often but my success rate is near 100%. Half the time I will get a counter offer. Each of those I’ve accepted as well. To me it’s no different than a coin show.

I’ve only ever had one time I’ve asked if they would be open to an offer (the coin has been listed for over a year now and still is without being sold) but they never replied. Their prices are high retail anyway so easier to just not buy from them later.

• Options
    ndeaglesndeagles Posts: 327 ✭✭✭✭

I usually go for what I'm willing to pay rather than a specific percentage, as mentioned, most sellers will counter offer. I have had sellers decline my offer when it's only a few dollars bellow the BIN. If it's an item that's been relisted a dozen times, the seller in my experience has been more likely to accept.

I also collect vintage snowboards and one seller listed a board for $800, I did best offer at $400 and he accepted instantly. I think in some cases the seller is just trying to see how much they can get from an item.

• Options
    coinbufcoinbuf Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

100%!

My Lincoln Registry
    My Collection of Old Holders

Never a slave to one plastic brand will I ever be.
  • Options
    JBKJBK Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭✭

I mainly use this for non-coin items or coins that do not have a particular market value. 10-15% under is normal. I have gone much less - a third or even half off, for overpriced or older listings, and sometimes they are accepted.

• Options
    U1chicagoU1chicago Posts: 5,655 ✭✭✭✭✭

10% is about average for me. My typical range is from 5%-20%...any more than 20% and the odds are very low unless it's a seller I've seen accept big discounts (like the skate board example mentioned earlier). Sometimes you will run into people that will barely budge at all. Recently I ran into a few sellers that wouldn't do any better than $1-$3 off their list price ($50-$100 items).

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

It all depends. Probably 10-20%, higher if I can at least justify it based on similar sales. That said, if I have to go well beyond that, I may just not bother because it means the piece is way overpriced, and unless I really want it, it's not worth either offending the seller or playing games with someone who starts so high.

Based on experience as a seller, I'd say that around 50-75% off for relatively common items with pretty consistent pricing is about right.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,826 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aercus said:
    Don't think in fixed percentages. Every seller is different. In fact, some sellers purposely price high so that when you offer 10-15% less they can accept and make you think you got a "deal". Make an offer that's fair for you and the seller. Worst that happens is they say no 🙂

I agree with these comments. It does depend on the situation, asking price, coin, market and other factors. The most I'll offer off the seller's MSRP is around 25% but often offer about 10% to 15% off.

• Options
    jesbrokenjesbroken Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't have a concrete range. I might offer 25% discount if he has the coin greatly overpriced. If I think the coin is worth $X amount to me then I offer that amount. But I never underprice a legitimately priced coin. Seller's do not have time for that lowball bidding and may block you from other bids.
    Jim

When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken or cease to be honest....Abraham Lincoln

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.....Mark Twain
  • Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

It depends on the item, but I have offered as low as 33% and been accepted (non coin obviously). Many sellers list at crazy prices in hopes that buyers will be "polite" and only submit offers 10-20% off so they make a larger profit than they would have accepted.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    csdotcsdot Posts: 682 ✭✭✭✭

I tend to agree with the posters who pass on items that are way out of line (say 10%+) with the market. Figure it is not worth either side getting upset, either the seller who places great value on the item, or me.

• Options
    RB1026RB1026 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭✭

With the way eBay is now used by sellers, I wouldn't worry about percentage. Many sellers have items priced BEYOND reason just trolling for a lucky home run, while others are seriously trying to conduct business. I've tracked a few items that have been listed at ridiculous prices for over a year! Of course, no one is buying their listings either. These folks are not selling, they are running a museum.

The best advice I can offer is to determine what YOU believe the item is worth to you and then make your offer accordingly. Some sellers will accept a fair offer right away. Some like to negotiate back and forth but will still agree to a reasonable price. Others have no intention of selling for less than "moon money" and won't be realistic. This is the current state of eBay in my experience (been using it since '98)

If I make an offer on an item, I simply make a "fair" offer based on my valuation with a courteous note indicating that this is the best I can do. More often than not, this is a successful strategy for me. Best of luck!

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,077 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 27, 2021 5:17PM

@RB1026 said:
    With the way eBay is now used by sellers, I wouldn't worry about percentage. Many sellers have items priced BEYOND reason just trolling for a lucky home run, while others are seriously trying to conduct business
    The best advice I can offer is to determine what YOU believe the item is worth to you and then make your offer accordingly.

Agree. You need to know the running price of the item.

Sometimes I need to offer 90% to win, other times I've won with 10% offers.

• Options
    MasonGMasonG Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:
    He's not a serious buyer and not worth my time.

I've blocked a few like that. Since it's pretty much guaranteed they'll never be a buyer, I figure I'm doing them the favor of not wasting their time on my listings anymore.

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

I just offer what I am willing to pay - sometimes it is close to asking, but other times considerably less.
    I try not to mess with sellers - because I offered my max, I usually refuse any counter offer and just move on.
    I do find it interesting that coins listed for a long time tend to have little wiggle room - even though by most most results they are substantially overpriced. Oh well, it is not my place to figure out their business model...

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    savitalesavitale Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭✭✭

If they have Make Offer enabled, usually 10% with the assumption we'll probably end up at 5%. If 10% still seems too high I would pass.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,077 ✭✭✭✭✭

@PerryHall said:
    When a seller's BIN price is multiples of retail value, I don't even bother to make an offer.

But sometimes you just need to have it :)

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    He responded to me that "often coins sell for less than the Mint sells them". He told me to let him know if "you ever are really interested in selling".

You could have replied "Yes, that's so. And often, they sell for more than the Mint sells them, too. Let me know if you're ever a serious buyer."

• Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Samuel8 said:

Any seller who actually get offended by an offer is probably a seller you don’t want to do business with. What are we talking? 5, maybe 10 seconds to look at and hit the decline button?

• Options
    pursuitoflibertypursuitofliberty Posts: 6,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

On eBay, for the coins and paper I usually pursue, I probably would not offer if I had to get beyond about 22%.

Usually, if I offer, we are within about 15% (their ask and my thought). I don't have a rule. I've asked for 5% because they already had a good price (in my mind) but I hoped for a little bump, and I've asked for 20% because that seemed the right price.

“We are only their care-takers,” he posed, “if we take good care of them, then centuries from now they may still be here … ”

Todd - BHNC #242
  • Options
    Downtown1974Downtown1974 Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t use a percentage. I look and see what recent sales have brought first, then I factor eye appeal, CAC?, etc. Then I make my offer which is normally on the top end of the spectrum. Reason being....I don’t want to negotiate. I make my BEST offer....just like it asks for. I decline any counter offer and move on.

• Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,165 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SIowhand said:

@Samuel8 said:

Any seller who actually get offended by an offer is probably a seller you don’t want to do business with. What are we talking? 5, maybe 10 seconds to look at and hit the decline button?

I had someone once send me sub-wholesale bullion offers on every silver coin I had listed. How many minutes should I spend declining those offers?

I once had someone send me weekly offers of wholesale for all silver dollars listed. My life got easier when I just blocked him.

There are PITA dealers, but don't think there aren't PITA "customers" that aren't worth the time.

• Options
    relicsncoinsrelicsncoins Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭✭✭

Depends on the list price for me.

Need a Barber Half with ANACS photo certificate. If you have one for sale please PM me. Current Ebay auctions
  • Options
    Joe_360Joe_360 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

This might not answer the question, but I have found some sellers, that have a single nice coin to sell, and when I look at their selling history they have never/rarely sold any coins, have mostly sold nick-knacks and novelty items. So I just believe that they don't have interest in having the coin, and want get rid of it for a reasonable offer from someone top rated that can be trust.

This seller was selling a single 2020 ASE V75 "First Strike", graded by our host at PR69DCAM with the V75 label . It also came with original box w/Cert. His history showed that they never sold a coin before.

Was asking $350 which was actually fair price based on others, I offered $310 and they accepted without reply.

Coin came nicely packages as advertise, I was happy and they must have been because I got a good review...

• Options
    JimWJimW Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, I have found that sellers who rarely sell coins are more likely to accept offers; although I think some of them figure it out and suddenly the coins are priced higher with less likelihood of accepting offers much below their asking price.

Successful BST Transactions: erwindoc, VTchaser, moursund, robkool, RelicKING, Herb_T, Meltdown

• Options
    davewesendavewesen Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭✭✭

for me it depends on how outrageous the asking price is. I can also tell if a decline with counteroffer whether I will try again soon or after 6 months to a year.

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,924 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SIowhand said:

@Samuel8 said:

I don’t get offended, but let’s say I have an item that routinely sells for $900-1000 and I list it at $1050 or $1100 hoping someone makes an offer (feels like they’re getting a deal) closer to $1000 than $900. I’ve had offers for $400. Yes it’s a waste of time, but make yourself know for doing things like that and maybe you get blocked before I list something you really want.

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    SIowhandSIowhand Posts: 321 ✭✭✭✭✭

@airplanenut said:

@SIowhand said:

@Samuel8 said:

I don’t get offended, but let’s say I have an item that routinely sells for $900-1000 and I list it at $1050 or $1100 hoping someone makes an offer (feels like they’re getting a deal) closer to $1000 than $900. I’ve had offers for $400. Yes it’s a waste of time, but make yourself know for doing things like that and maybe you get blocked before I list something you really want.

No doubt plenty of tire kickers and low ballers wasting everyone’s time looking for a score. Just no need to be offended.

I don’t sell on eBay but have had quite a bit of this on reverb. Every item seems to elicit a dozen silly offers. But I have had people make silly offers that I have declined without comment only to have them purchase anyway.

It occasionally pays to remain calm.

• Options
    daltexdaltex Posts: 3,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Aercus said:
    Don't think in fixed percentages. Every seller is different. In fact, some sellers purposely price high so that when you offer 10-15% less they can accept and make you think you got a "deal". Make an offer that's fair for you and the seller. Worst that happens is they say no 🙂

No. Worst that can happen is you come off as a real jerk and the seller blocks you so you can't get that coin at any price. Then you also can't get any other coins they have at any price. Then they blackball you so you cant get coins from other sellers at any price.

Think it can't happen? We've seen plenty of support for it on this forum. A thread is started to complain about a jerk buyer and people request the bidder ID by PM.

• Options
    CoinJunkieCoinJunkie Posts: 8,772 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jmlanzaf said:

@SIowhand said:

@Samuel8 said:

I had someone once send me sub-wholesale bullion offers on every silver coin I had listed. How many minutes should I spend declining those offers?

None. You should ignore lowball offers and let them expire. Better yet, set up auto-decline under a certain price on your listings.

OTOH, some people are simply pests and I've blocked a few of those myself.

• Options

@CoinJunkie said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@SIowhand said:

@Samuel8 said:

None. You should ignore lowball offers and let them expire. Better yet, set up auto-decline under a certain price on your listings.

OTOH, some people are simply pests and I've blocked a few of those myself.

I agree. But I was responding to the poster who said that you wouldn't want to do business with someone who would be offended by an offer. I'm just saying that your offer doesn't exist in a vacuum. After I've fielded thousands of offers over the years, including a lot of low ball offers, I'm quicker to label someone as a low-baller and ban them than I was 20 years ago.

And people often send offers via messaging on items that aren't even accepting offers. Again, I will field reasonable offers and polite questions. But I reserve the right to ignore your "$20? Send offer." emails and possibly ban you to prevent further clutter in my inbox.

• Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 4:58AM

If lower than usual, I typically include a note supporting my offer with past completed sold listings and thank them for the consideration.

Many items, maybe ask off around the cost of shipping.

For selling, I got a weekly sales goal. I discount a fair amount if they offer. I get alot of repeat business for the low end stuff. Still making a healthy profit.

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    thefinnthefinn Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭

I just offer what it is worth. I actually bought a PCGS doily from a seller for 50% off.

thefinn
  • Options
    MarkKelleyMarkKelley Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭✭✭

M y personal philosophy is to ignore lowball offers and let them expire. Not worth my time.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 6:34AM

If somebody makes a realistic, reasonable offer (not more than 5-10 pct off) I may work with them depending on what I have in the item and how big ticket it is. Quick turnover a goal. Greedy discounts / low offers I may make a counter offer. Big ticket items I like move quickly especially at a show. I am not in the business to have a coin museum. The lower pop the item the more I am in drivers seat get what I want. Something like the 1881-S dollar they can probably walk over to next table get one at bid.

The seller also has the option of a counter offer. At shows I may make a counter offer to potential buyers or if item has little or no room for me “that’s the lowest the consignor will go.” Like an invasion where retreat is not an option for my landing force - At shows the most I am going to lose is the table fee, show expenses.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options

@CoinJunkie said:
    Better yet, set up auto-decline under a certain price on your listings.

I don't use the auto-decline feature because it doesn't offer enough flexibility. My "decline" amount is variable. If you offer say... 30% or 40% off on one particular item, I'd probably decline but if you offered on 6 or 8 items and altogether the whole deal is acceptable, I'd take the low one.

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:
    And people often send offers via messaging on items that aren't even accepting offers.

My favorites are the ones where a buyer writes to me to explain why my price is too high but he's willing to pay half the listed price and somebody else buys it at full price before I have a chance to respond.

• Options
    WCCWCC Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been on both sides of the transaction, though not with US coins since I don't collect or sell it.

I have seen a lot of "stupid money" prices for a long time and as one poster said above, the seller is actually running a museum. Maybe in a few instances it's motivated to obtain free (or at least) cheap advertising to drive traffic to their site if they have one.

Sometimes though especially with non-US coinage, there is no effective market price due to lack of prior sales history. Some sellers still ask for "moon money" but sometimes they aren't motivated either. If the price is still somewhat "reasonable" and you want it, you have to pay up or hope you can find it elsewhere. That's not a consideration for most collectors of US coins but is for the coins I collect now and much of what I bought since I resumed collecting in 1998.

More recently when I received an an offer I considered far too low, I declined it and that's that. I'm not interested in repeated back-and-forth counteroffers by a "lowball" who I think is likely to be dissatisfied with the price they paid and return it later, possibly after they try to sell it for a profit first.

• Options
    WAYNEASWAYNEAS Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have been successful with offers that were 65% off. I have failed with offers of 5% off. To me it is a game. If I see an item that I like and the seller 's price is way over priced, I will tell them what the going price is and then offer a 10% less price. Had much success doing this. If a coin is reasonably priced, I offer a 5% reduced price. I am always respectable to the seller and thank them for looking at my offer. I have also offered a "Starting Bid" offer. "I can offer you this amount but am open to a counter offer". Usually we meet somewhere in the middle. :)
    Wayne

Kennedys are my quest...

• Options
    Morpheus1967Morpheus1967 Posts: 173 ✭✭✭

My initial offer is just below what I am willing to pay. Usually, the seller will come back with a counteroffer that is around where I originally wanted to be. It's win-win. The seller gets to feel like they got a few extra bucks based off my original offer, and I got the coin for what I was hoping to pay. Has been pretty successful in the past, unless the coin is outrageously over priced.

One thing I can't stand, though, is if I offer 90% of asking price and I get the auto decline. Why even put best offer if you aren't going to even consider 90% of the offer?

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,237 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 7:33AM

low enough to allow for a counter offer but not so low as to have seller ignore you. Initial offer should be high enough to be taken seriously but low enough to give room for a decent counter.

Offer should not be based on a percentage of the asking price. It should be based on a percentage of the item's actual retail value.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options

@Morpheus1967 said:
    My initial offer is just below what I am willing to pay. Usually, the seller will come back with a counteroffer that is around where I originally wanted to be. It's win-win. The seller gets to feel like they got a few extra bucks based off my original offer, and I got the coin for what I was hoping to pay. Has been pretty successful in the past, unless the coin is outrageously over priced.

One thing I can't stand, though, is if I offer 90% of asking price and I get the auto decline. Why even put best offer if you aren't going to even consider 90% of the offer?

Because I'll take 95%

Margins on coins are thin. Almost all my US sales have a net margin of 10% or less.

• Options
    3stars3stars Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don’t mind being blocked by a seller if they can’t handle my offer. Why do sellers think they are the only game in town, there are hundreds of sellers out there. I can easily move on to the next.

Previous transactions: Wondercoin, goldman86, dmarks, Type2
  • Options
    yspsalesyspsales Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 8:48AM

I looked at my block list the other day and it had maybe five names over many years.

As a seller, if I put a best offer on a listing I expect a best offer.

As a buyer, if I see a best offer I think you should give a best offer.

Many times I just hit the BIN and be done with it...

BST: KindaNewish (3/21/21), WQuarterFreddie (3/30/21), Meltdown (4/6/21), DBSTrader2 (5/5/21) AKA- unclemonkey on Blow Out

• Options
    JRGeyerJRGeyer Posts: 134 ✭✭✭

If sellers have the "make an offer" feature enabled, usually the coin is overpriced by 20% or more relative to the PCGS price guide. The good sellers have a fair "buy it now" price listed, and I've found many of those sellers also have their own websites where you can get a better deal on the coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file