Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Anyone here have dealings with Burbank Sports Cards?

Has anyone else had a good or bad experience with Burbank Sports Cards on Ebay? I understand they are one of the biggest sports cards dealers in the country. They have a card I want listed on Ebay for $96 or best offer. Over the past few months I have made offers ranging from $65 - $75. Every offer has simply been ignored and allowed to expire.

It's always bothered me when Ebay sellers claim to accept offers, then refuse to budge on price. If they think my offers are lowball offers, they could simply decline it. I even sent them a message with one of my offers explaining nicely that I'm interested in the card and I hope we can make a deal. But I get nothing, not even a counteroffer.

Comments

• Options
    surfyfunsurfyfun Posts: 75 ✭✭

Ebay will sometimes automatically add a "best offer" option to cards with a buy it now price after they've been listed for a time. They send you a message letting you know they've done it, but then you have to go revise the item to turn it back off, can't prevent ebay from doing it. So maybe that's the case and they are rightfully annoyed by it and decided to just ignore offers (which they possibly didn't intend to have anyway)...which isn't great from a buyer's perspective.

• Options
    steel75steel75 Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭✭

I had a question once to them about some scratches on a raw card and asked if it was the scan or on the card............silence, no response.

1970's Steelers, Vintage Indians
  • Options
    picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

I've asked many times for a pic or other info. Never a reply.
    On my dont bother with list.. Lol

• Options
    PNWcollectorPNWcollector Posts: 301 ✭✭✭✭

I've also sent them emails inquiring about listings (some they have the wrong picture). Have never received a response. Crickets

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@SoxPatsFan said:
    Has anyone else had a good or bad experience with Burbank Sports Cards on Ebay? I understand they are one of the biggest sports cards dealers in the country. They have a card I want listed on Ebay for $96 or best offer. Over the past few months I have made offers ranging from $65 - $75. Every offer has simply been ignored and allowed to expire.

It's always bothered me when Ebay sellers claim to accept offers, then refuse to budge on price. If they think my offers are lowball offers, they could simply decline it. I even sent them a message with one of my offers explaining nicely that I'm interested in the card and I hope we can make a deal. But I get nothing, not even a counteroffer.

sometimes a card here is a lot cheaper vs thier ebay price.

https://marketplace.beckett.com/burbanksportscards_21/

• Options
    EstilEstil Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭✭

@steel75 said:
    I had a question once to them about some scratches on a raw card and asked if it was the scan or on the card............silence, no response.

https://youtu.be/ATZJl8Bi66w

WISHLIST
    Dimes: 54S, 53P, 50P, 49S, 45D+S, 44S, 43D, 41S, 40D+S, 39D+S, 38D+S, 37D+S, 36S, 35D+S, all 16-34's
    Quarters: 52S, 47S, 46S, 40S, 39S, 38S, 37D+S, 36D+S, 35D, 34D, 32D+S
    74 Topps: 37,38,46,47,48,138,151,193,210,214,223,241,256,264,268,277,289,316,435,552,570,577,592,602,610,654,655
    1997 Finest silver: 115, 135, 139, 145, 310
    1995 Ultra Gold Medallion Sets: Golden Prospects, HR Kings, On-Base Leaders, Power Plus, RBI Kings, Rising Stars
  • Options

I've purchased from their Beckett Marketplace in the past and been very pleased with their responsiveness and service time.

• Options
    SoxPatsFanSoxPatsFan Posts: 196 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the responses. I'm just going to have to figure that they will likely never respond to my offer.

• Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've been to their store. The owner doesn't have a large staff and there is traffic all day long. The store is tiny so I haven't been there since COVID, but when I drive by there is usually a line into the parking lot. Even inside the store you place your orders thru a Beckett Marketplace station.

Rob is a nice guy buy he is definitely a stack 'em high and sell them type of dealer. Not a lot of customer service, not that it is bad, but you have to move along like at a Philly cheesesteak joint.

Mike
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,524 ✭✭✭✭✭

i have never had any luck getting any communication out of them

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    brad31brad31 Posts: 2,569 ✭✭✭✭✭

Bought a card from their website a couple of weeks ago and it was shipped quickly and without incident.

• Options
    DodgerfanjohnDodgerfanjohn Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

They have literally hundreds of thousands of cards listed across multiple platforms. I haven’t been to their new location but at their prior location the last time I went, one of the employees got chewed out for fulfilling my want list on the spot rather than taking the want list and my contact info and calling me once it was pulled later. They also had a guy monitoring eBay auctions for them to purchase the whole time I was there which was about 45 minutes. Way back in the day...25 years ago or so, it was still a nice shop and you could deal directly with Rob basically all the time. But their volume was not as large as it is today...not even close.

They’ve gotten very big in terms of business level and you aren’t gonna get responses on their online listings for the most part. They do package and ship quickly when you place an order.

• Options

@Dodgerfanjohn said:
    They have literally hundreds of thousands of cards listed across multiple platforms. I haven’t been to their new location but at their prior location the last time I went, **one of the employees got chewed out for fulfilling my want list on the spot rather than taking the want list and my contact info and calling me once it was pulled later. **They also had a guy monitoring eBay auctions for them to purchase the whole time I was there which was about 45 minutes. Way back in the day...25 years ago or so, it was still a nice shop and you could deal directly with Rob basically all the time. But their volume was not as large as it is today...not even close.

They’ve gotten very big in terms of business level and you aren’t gonna get responses on their online listings for the most part. They do package and ship quickly when you place an order.

That was my experience from two years' ago. Rob can be inflexible about that sort of thing. I only needed three cards and drove two hours from Orange County and he basically told me to go to "the back of the line." One of his employees was sympathetic and quietly pulled the cards. I have to give his staff mad props for that but my advice to anyone is to do all your business with them big or small online. They have a certain way of doing business and expect everyone(employees and customers alike) to abide by it.

• Options
    blurryfaceblurryface Posts: 5,136 ✭✭✭✭✭

@HeadsUp38 said:

@Dodgerfanjohn said:
    They have literally hundreds of thousands of cards listed across multiple platforms. I haven’t been to their new location but at their prior location the last time I went, **one of the employees got chewed out for fulfilling my want list on the spot rather than taking the want list and my contact info and calling me once it was pulled later. **They also had a guy monitoring eBay auctions for them to purchase the whole time I was there which was about 45 minutes. Way back in the day...25 years ago or so, it was still a nice shop and you could deal directly with Rob basically all the time. But their volume was not as large as it is today...not even close.

That was my experience from two years' ago. Rob can be inflexible about that sort of thing. I only needed three cards and drove two hours from Orange County and he basically told me to go to "the back of the line." One of his employees was sympathetic and quietly pulled the cards. I have to give his staff mad props for that but my advice to anyone is to do all your business with them big or small online. They have a certain way of doing business and expect everyone(employees and customers alike) to abide by it.

i understand ones frustrations here. with that being said, he is the boss. he prolly set the ways, not because he's a prick, but most likely because he's been thru it and has spent years before employing anyone to know what works. there's a reason why they are as big as they are. that's most likely from sticking to a formula. no different than the armed forces and the chain of command. with the amount of inventory they have coupled with the multiple online platforms they sell on, it would probably take 3 - 5 more full time employees to handle every online scan, pricing, discount or general info request. and while some requests obviously have true intentions or merit, there are prolly 10x that or more that are impulse requests w zero realization of following thru w a purchase.

there's a great story about henry ford, ordering parts in oversized boxes & crates and an accounting employee that came to him w what he thought was the best thing/idea since sliced bread to save the company money. well, it wasn't. and that's because ford was blocks ahead. he reused the wood in model t's and the scrap he sold as charcoal. kings"ford" charcoal to be exact. definitely worth a google on a rainy day and kinda drives home the point, pun intended.

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't know how it is now, but they were fun to buy from back in the mid - late 90's. 94 - 99ish. Enjoyed calling in with a wantlist and shooting the bull with Rob and sometimes his Dad Stephen. Haven't purchased anything from Burbank since 2013. I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them based on my past experiences. But everybody's different.