Home Q & A Forum
Options

When grading a coin does the grader take die scratches into account as a negative?

Cul8rCul8r Posts: 164 ✭✭

Best Answer

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,055 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 28, 2021 6:27PM Answer ✓

Mint-made die polish lines, die scratches, adjustment marks, roller marks, etc. can affect the grade. However, in the very large majority of cases, the grade is unlikely to be impacted much, if at all.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

Answers

• Options
    ifthevamzarockinifthevamzarockin Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭✭✭

Die scratches should not affect the grade. ;)

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭

I don't think that those are die scratches. I suspect post mint damage but would need to examine in person.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,218 ✭✭✭✭✭

can keep it from a plus grade, from what I suspect. but don't quote me on that.

those look like plating bubbles

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    JimnightJimnight Posts: 10,820 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm with the plating bubbles.

• Options
    Namvet69Namvet69 Posts: 8,673 ✭✭✭✭✭

This decade of laminated memorial cents display a lot of trapped gas bubbles. They ain't pretty. IMO. Peace Roy

BST: endeavor1967, synchr, kliao, Outhaul, Donttellthewife, U1Chicago, ajaan, mCarney1173, SurfinHi, MWallace, Sandman70gt, mustanggt, Pittstate03, Lazybones, Walkerguy21D, coinandcurrency242 , thebigeng, Collectorcoins, JimTyler, USMarine6, Elkevvo, Coll3ctor, Yorkshireman, CUKevin, ranshdow, CoinHunter4, bennybravo, Centsearcher, braddick, Windycity, ZoidMeister, mirabela, JJM, RichURich, Bullsitter, jmski52, LukeMarshall

• Options
    YQQYQQ Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭✭✭

too big for die scratches
    maybe Mr. Dremel with a wire mesh?

Today is the first day of the rest of my life