Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

Are there any Medieval Gold collectors still hanging around?

I recently discovered medieval gold coins and I absolutely love this genre. I've noticed that there aren't many of these coins out there to be had, in comparison to U. S. Coins, which is where I was for 40+ years. Any collectors out there willing to share sites/dealers that I could increase my inventory?

Answers

• Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭✭✭

I collect Medieval gold coins with dates, 1436-1499. Several European auction houses deal
    with Medieval gold coins. Fritz Kunker and Jean Elsen come to mind. Here in the U.S., Stephen
    Album and Classical Numismatic Group are well respected, knowledgeable dealers. The
    auction platforms NumisBids and Sixbid list several auctions. To directly buy, I would recommend
    MA-Shops who provide dealers a platform to directly sell to the public. I've had excellent
    success with the dealers who sell there. If I may ask a question, what is the time frame that
    would include Medieval gold coins?

• Options
    tcollectstcollects Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭

I collect Visigoth gold tremissis among other things - some types are relatively common because, like a lot of gold coins throughout history, they didn't circulate much and were kept (then found) in bulk. Some has been found, probably more is still in the ground, a lot is in museums. Like all gold, getting undipped, unmessed with coins that look nice is the perennial challenge.

peruse the auctions on sixbid or numisbids and you'll find hundreds of medieval gold coins for auction at any given time

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

I stick to collecting medieval gold from Great Britain, preferably Scotland.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,037 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have a few medieval coins including this one:

France Louis XI Ecu d'or
    Gold, 27 mm, 3.34 gm, Perpignan Mint

A French king (AD 1461-1483) who was a contemporary of England's Edward IV.

He kept wild turkeys as pets.

:)

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    bidaskbidask Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the Christian symbolism on all medieval coinage ... !

I manage money. I earn money. I save money .
    I give away money. I collect money.
    I don’t love money . I do love the Lord God.

• Options

@TomB said:
    They'd be awfully old by this time...

Yes they would be. LOL!

• Options
    DGFRDGFR Posts: 5

Nice lion d'or. You can find a description of this type on my page, if you're interested. (also see p. XVII and 7 here)

There is a lot to love about medieval coinage, and an endless supply of themes to build your collection around.

• Options
    worldcoinguyworldcoinguy Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭

@Tibor - your collection of pre 1500 dated coinage is just plain fascinating.

• Options
    fred13fred13 Posts: 194 ✭✭✭
    edited May 5, 2021 6:18PM

@Tibor said:

One of my recent purchases.
    Brabant mint: Malines
    1488 Demi Noble d'or
    Levinson II-101a

simply lovely. I've always had a fondness for Non British Nobles. Cheaper, many times rarer, and much more diverse than the standard boring Henry VI variety. Heres one from Gorinchem(holland) that I quite like. (ignore the circled bits just some die diagnostics I was looking over :)

• Options

@worldcoinguy and @fred13 Thank you for the kind words. The pieces that
    the two of you have shared here are beautiful. They both show the beauty of
    the mint masters craft.

• Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

A Scots Thistle Noble from James V(1567-1625) that was minted in 1588 and was a very shortlived and subsequently rare issue. This coin was worth 11 Merks, a merk being 13 Shillings 4 pence ie a total of 146 shillings 8 pence. Yes Scotland had a very very confusing monetary system and it frequently changed. The design is an anachronism of the earlier English nobles from the 14th and 15th centuries.

In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • Options

@Tibor said:
    I collect Medieval gold coins with dates, 1436-1499. Several European auction houses deal
    with Medieval gold coins. Fritz Kunker and Jean Elsen come to mind. Here in the U.S., Stephen
    Album and Classical Numismatic Group are well respected, knowledgeable dealers. The
    auction platforms NumisBids and Sixbid list several auctions. To directly buy, I would recommend
    MA-Shops who provide dealers a platform to directly sell to the public. I've had excellent
    success with the dealers who sell there. If I may ask a question, what is the time frame that
    would include Medieval gold coins?

The time frame for medeival gold coins is roughly 500-1500.

• Options

@bidask said:
    I like the Christian symbolism on all medieval coinage ... !

I bought this one for the imagery. :-)

• Options

@fred13 said:
    Hammered Coinage is one of my favorite areas. Heres my Franc a Cheval from Charles V

Here is my Franc a' Cheval. These are very nice.

• Options
    neildrobertsonneildrobertson Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'd love to see people post more medieval gold around here. If I stay in the hobby long enough, I'll eventually start collecting it.

IG: DeCourcyCoinsEbay: neilrobertson
    "Numismatic categorizations, if left unconstrained, will increase spontaneously over time." -me

• Options

In the next week or two I will start a thread that will feature Medieval
    gold coins. Hopefully others will contribute their treasures.