Home Sports Talk

Would you want Jimmy G back?

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

NBCs Peter King wrote in his column that he wouldn't be surprised if the Patriots went after Jimmy G, would you guys want him back?

Boston.com

Peter King thinks 49ers might make Jimmy Garoppolo ‘more available than he’s been’

While the Patriots have been linked with virtually every one of the quarterbacks projected to go near the top of this week’s NFL draft, an alternative scenario remains where New England finds a new signal-caller in a separate trade.

Speculation has continued that Jimmy Garoppolo, who led the 49ers to Super Bowl LIV, might become available after San Francisco traded up in March to get the third overall pick. Since the 49ers are expected to use the pick to select a quarterback, it would (eventually) leave the 29-year-old Garoppolo without a starting job.

New England, which originally picked Garoppolo in the second round of the 2014 draft, has been seen as a likely trade partner. The 49ers reportedly have “no plans to trade” Garoppolo, and Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer noted in late March that it would likely require a first-round pick to acquire him.

Yet in his most recent “Football Morning in America” column, NFL insider Peter King believes that the 49ers might lower the price on Garoppolo.

“It won’t surprise me if the Niners make Jimmy Garoppolo more available than he’s been,” wrote King. “In other words, instead of trying to get a first-round pick for him, maybe considering taking a two for him. I wonder if the Patriots would deal the 46th pick in the draft, or their second-rounder in 2022, for their old friend.”

The terms of a potential deal along those lines might sound familiar, since the Patriots originally dealt Garoppolo to the 49ers in 2018 for a second-round pick.

An issue for any team trying to trade for Garoppolo in 2021 is his contract, which (in its current version) would amount to a total cap hit of $26 million.

Comments

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

If it came down to them getting Jimmy G or drafting one of the top rookies this year IE: Mac Jones, Justin Fields or Trey Lance I’d prefer one of the rookies. Jimmy G Bombs would be a second choice. That’s my opinion

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:
    If it came down to them getting Jimmy G or drafting one of the top rookies this year IE: Mac Jones, Justin Fields or Trey Lance I’d prefer one of the rookies. Jimmy G Bombs would be a second choice. That’s my opinion

Yes, I would take one of the top rookies as well. Of course, this Peter King thing is pure speculation. These speculation stories are popping up every day on my phone, everyday there seems to be a new theory or new trade rumor. Everyone is paranoid!

• perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,357 ✭✭✭✭✭

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

Yes, I would take one of the top rookies as well. Of course, this Peter King thing is pure speculation. These speculation stories are popping up every day on my phone, everyday there seems to be a new theory or new trade rumor. Everyone is paranoid!

It’s like the Battle of Britain will all the code breaking and misinformation!

• doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 22,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

@perkdog said:

@doubledragon said:

@perkdog said:

It’s like the Battle of Britain will all the code breaking and misinformation!

It is, I can't wait to see what bizarre rumor pops up tomorrow!

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

if they are going to make a trade, please oh please BB, trade up for a QB in the draft.

I like Jimmie G and all, but he is made of glass.

not the nice safety kind that breaks up into unsharp cubes. he is made of the shattering type.

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’d take Jimmy over Cam any day but it sounds like the 49ers are waiting to be blown away with an offer for him. The sad thing is Belichick might be the only GM willing to overpay to get him.

Are the top 5 QBs in the draft all expected to be gone by 15? Looking at the teams holding the first 9 picks I can see maybe two teams that don’t need a Qb in Cincy & Miami so BB might have to move all the way up to 4 or 5 to guarantee he gets one. I have a hard time believing that he’d give up a future first in any deal seeing that he’s been known to turn one first into 4-5 picks by trading back numerous times,he might think it’s cheaper to just take 15 and turn it into whatever picks SF might want for Garoppolo.

• erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭✭✭

My bold prediction for this draft is Belichick makes a deal for JImmy G using his 3rd round comp pick he got for losing Brady in FA.

• thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm just not sure at this point.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

talk radio says no trading up possible, ironically because of SF trading up and what they paid to do so

• tommyrusty7tommyrusty7 Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭

I really don't care who they get for a quarterback as long as Billechek is coach as he will just ruin them. I am watching Brady and crew now.

• 2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭✭✭

The greatest ability is availability. He been hurt in September 3 of the last 4 years. ( by memory. May be wrong)
    When he’s on the field he’s a very good, probably top 10 QB.
    So if you keep him healthy you’ve got a franchise QB. There lies the buts.
    I’d take a healthy Jimmy G over any rookie QB and he’s 100% an upgrade over Cam.
    When the 49ers draft a QB 3rd they will be in a great position. Let the rookie learn under G and have him ready by October.
    IMO Jimmy stays in SF. Again, JMO

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.