Home World & Ancient Coins Forum
Options

The Coinage of the Nation of Celestial Space

Many micronations have been declared and disappeared but one was especially ambitious claiming the entirety of outer space. James T. Mangan, an author of self-help books living in Illinois, founded the Nation of Celestial Space in 1949. Mangan, claimed the entirety of outer space, later defined as the entirety of the universe besides Earth, as Celestia.

For the Nation of Celestial Space, a fictious currency was established. This monetary system saw 100 Ergs equaling 10 Joules, which equal one Celeston – basically imitating cents, dimes, and dollars. A total of three different coins were produced with a complete set being nine coins with all dates, varieties, and strikes. These coins were the Celeston, being .900-fine gold and weighing 2.2 grams and the Joule in sterling .925 silver weighing 4.15 grams.

Full article: https://www.pcgs.com/news/coinage-of-the-nation-of-celestial-space

Want our top articles delivered to your e-mail inbox bi-weekly? Join our e-newsletter here: https://www.pcgs.com/newsletter

Comments

• Options
    Nathan401Nathan401 Posts: 56 ✭✭✭

Very nerdy, and very cool!! Hey, I have a banknote from the Isle of Sodor (Thomas the Tank Engine). :)

• Options
    SapyxSapyx Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

Alas for Mr Mangan, the United States became a signatory of the Outer Space Treaty in 1967, nullifying and renouncing all earthly territorial claims to everything beyond Earth.

Waste no more time arguing what a good man should be. Be one.
    Roman emperor Marcus Aurelius, "Meditations"

Apparently I have been awarded one DPOTD. B)
  • Options
    spacehaydukespacehayduke Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭✭✭

@TomB said:
    Cool pieces and rather oddball history associated with them.

When I was an undergrad I had a professor in physical chemistry who would draw a dead centipede (think of a stick figure centipede laying on its back with X for eyes) and above it would be its last words "erg...". He would then ask "what's this drawing of?" and of course the answer was "a dying centipede!" which would reinforce into each of us that an erg was a dyne centimeter.

If only my PChem teacher had a sense of humor like yours, I might have actually learned, and now remember my PChem.

Best, SH

Successful transactions with-Boosibri,lkeigwin,TomB,Broadstruck,coinsarefun,Type2,jom,ProfLiz, UltraHighRelief,Barndog,EXOJUNKIE,ldhair,fivecents,paesan,Crusty...
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

@spacehayduke said:

@TomB said:
    Cool pieces and rather oddball history associated with them.

When I was an undergrad I had a professor in physical chemistry who would draw a dead centipede (think of a stick figure centipede laying on its back with X for eyes) and above it would be its last words "erg...". He would then ask "what's this drawing of?" and of course the answer was "a dying centipede!" which would reinforce into each of us that an erg was a dyne centimeter.

If only my PChem teacher had a sense of humor like yours, I might have actually learned, and now remember my PChem.

Best, SH

Heck, I started drawing that out and sharing it with my kids when they were five or six years old. Alas, they never remembered any physical chemistry...

Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson