Home U.S. & World Currency Forum
Options

Help assigning a value and determining if this is worth certification?

A friend is looking for an opinion on what this unissued Bank of Augusta $3 note is worth, and if it should be certified or not.

I will refrain from offering my own comment for the sake of presenting things impartially.

Thanks!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

Comments

• Options
    291fifth291fifth Posts: 23,945 ✭✭✭✭✭

Long ago I collected $3 obsolete notes. I never had that one. Unless the market for obsolete notes demands certification I would say save your money. Even if the note is spurious, which I doubt, it would still have a market as there were many spurious notes in circulation during the obsolete note era.

I currently have no "feel" for the obsolete market. Perhaps some others can comment on the state of the market today.

All glory is fleeting.
  • Options
    Steve_in_TampaSteve_in_Tampa Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’ve seen these before on Heritage auctions. None of them were graded and most of them sold for around $50.

• Options
    DelawareDoonsDelawareDoons Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭✭✭

Any other opinions reinforcing or disagreeing with what's been said here?

Thanks!

Professional Numismatist. "It's like God, Family, Country, except Sticker, Plastic, Coin."

• Options
    sellitstoresellitstore Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭✭✭

Probably not worth certifying but hard to tell without note in hand. It's only worth certification if it comes back at the Gem CU level, 65 or above.

Most or all of the lines that look like folds in the photo aren't. They are irregularities in the paper that are typical of this issue. However, there could be a hidden fold or two in there, eliminating the possibility of a CU grade. Need to inspect carefully, in person.

Plenty of gems of this issue exist but I'll bet few have been certified. Older notes without color are least in demand by new collectors who want PRETTY (color) and high grade. These aren't considered pretty. Prices and demand are lower.

Collector and dealer in obsolete currency. Always buying all obsolete bank notes and scrip.
  • Options
    Serial_no_8Serial_no_8 Posts: 424 ✭✭✭

I have to agree with 'sellitstore.'

I didn't want to comment -without note in hand- since it is almost meaningless to do so. For me, note must be CU to Gem & with"Q" designation (either PPQ, EPQ or "Original") & that's simply impossible to ascertain with images or photos. Personally, I want any note I have to be about 5-10X in BV the cost to grade (so between $100-$200 minimum) but everyone has their own criteria in that regard. Our BCS here in Canada often knocks down grades for the slightest defect & he'll remove the "Original" designation on detecting the slightest impairment (so it can be a bit of a gamble on older notes- if you don't catch these).

Also, most veteran collectors have an opinion on a note's potential at market value as '291fifth' mentioned. If a collector thought this note has super potential than they might take a chance to grade.