Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

27% Off Sale at Legend!

ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 25, 2021 6:27PM in U.S. Coin Forum

With prices as strong as they are and inventory so scarce, I was surprised to see Legend selling this for $29K, $11K off the $40K sale price of the only other piece of similar grade to sell in recent years.

Also, given the only piece to sell in recent times sold for $40K, is the PCGS Price Guide price of $28,200 too low?

Laura wrote:

PCGS 73, NGC 5, CAC 10. This coin has been off the market for a very long time. The last PCGS CAC AU 58 to sell, brought a ridiculous $40,000.00 08/2019. No others have sold in recent times. The current PCGS CAC value is $28,200.00. We assure you, PCG CAC early gold does not exist in the market place. No matter how picky you are, this coin WILL impress you!

https://www.legendnumismatics.com/product/10-1799-lg-obv-pcgs-au58-ogh/

Comments

• Options
    privatecoinprivatecoin Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Smudge said:
    Maybe I can sell a kidney.

That makes two of us.

Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value. Zero. Voltaire. Ebay coinbowlllc

• Options
    GazesGazes Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭✭✭

I didnt research it but my guess was the 40k sale was an aberration since someone thought it was undergraded and could resubmit. Legend is pretty sophisticated---they would not leave money on the table if those sold recently for 40k

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

lovely coin AND image. looks very accurate. glad you posted that one zoins.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m sure it’s a wonderful coin.

Legend’s emphatic “the coin is NOT washed out” is somewhat amusing. I assume she means that many are and this one, in spite of a likely dip, is not. Presumably it would be unlikely to CAC if it were.

Nonetheless, the photo is not a glamour shot, and does make the coin seem a bit washed out.

Higashiyama
  • Options
    blitzdudeblitzdude Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

Dreck. That nasty green sticker thing on the slab probably didn't help. Thanks!

The whole worlds off its rocker, buy Gold™.

• Options
    1northcoin1northcoin Posts: 3,967 ✭✭✭✭✭

FWIW, this is mine. In light of the above auction descriptions should probably look more closely to identify which die state may be applicable.

• Options
    DCWDCW Posts: 7,093 ✭✭✭✭✭

@privatecoin said:

@Smudge said:
    Maybe I can sell a kidney.

That makes two of us.

Well, that's four kidneys right there

Dead Cat Waltz Exonumia
    "Coin collecting for outcasts..."

• Options

@MrEureka said:
    “14 to 18 coins extant” sounds pretty rare until you consider the number of collectors doing early tens by die variety.

You only need two bidders to drive the price up.

• Options
    skier07skier07 Posts: 3,819 ✭✭✭✭✭

@MrEureka said:
    “14 to 18 coins extant” sounds pretty rare until you consider the number of collectors doing early tens by die variety.

And the number of varieties.

• Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 7,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 25, 2021 6:18PM

Wow super deal - I just know it will soar in market soon don’t you? Ok will take out that credit card offer recently received and buy it.

So Cali Area - Coins & Currency
  • Options
    WinLoseWinWinLoseWin Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭✭✭

@skier07 said:

@MrEureka said:

And the number of varieties.

Most of the better varieties did bring better prices than type in that auction, some considerably more. It may not need only die variety collectors to bring stronger prices. Some may have wanted a type or year coin and been wiling to go ahead and pay more for a tougher die variety if it was the grade or look they wanted.

So for the purposes of this thread thread about the coin in the first post, it isn't quite an even comparison. Even Legend said it "...brought a ridiculous $40,000.00 08/2019" perhaps not seeing it was a better variety - R-6+ (I didn't check if Legend's was a tougher one, assuming that they checked that).

Also just noticed in that in the same auction just a few lots before the $40,800 AU-58 CAC R-6+ that another 1799 variety, also AU-58 CAC - Rarity 5+ rather than R-6+, brought $28,800. Though it was a Small Stars rather than the Large Stars like Legend's (both have similar CAC price guide values) it was more in line with the Legend price, so not such a discount after all.
    The Taraszka Collection of Bust Ten Dollar Gold - the only complete collection by die variety sold - Start your set today :

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/auctions/3-IXTQG/august-2019-ana-session-6-the-anthony-j-taraszka-collection-lots-4001-4041?limit=36

"To Be Esteemed Be Useful" - 1792 Birch Cent --- "I personally think we developed language because of our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin

• Options
    ConnecticoinConnecticoin Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭✭

First time I have seen the term “Gem AU” - is that the new term for AU58+?

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

If you’ve seen what passes for 58 these days, you’d understand

• Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,161 ✭✭✭✭✭

The last 27% off sale at Legend was the unique opportunity to buy my 1794$1 when I was sick. Thank goodness nobody stepped up - it’s worth 70% more

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2021 6:45AM

Re: ” First time I have seen the term “Gem AU” - is that the new term for AU58+?”

i picked up a fabulous 1916-D dime graded PCGS G-04 in the OGH holder on the floor of the 2010 Boston Summer ANA show. I paid a slight premium for the coin as I could not get this coin in my hands fast enough.
    I spotted it out of the corner of my eye. ir was a moose.
    I was so excited about my “find” that I showed it afterwards to several dealers while looking at their coins

One of them, Laura Sperber of Legend Numismatics looked at it and stated a phrase I never heard before. Its a “GEM GOOD”

i submitted this dime to CAC a few weeks after the ANA show. it received a gold sticker. One of only two 1916-D dimes in ALL grades to receive a CAC gold sticker!

Laura has used this GEM term many years earlier!

Laura knows how to grade coins.

She also knew how picky I was.

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    jmlanzafjmlanzaf Posts: 32,842 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Cougar1978 said:
    Wow super deal - I just know it will soar in market soon don’t you? Ok will take out that credit card offer recently received and buy it.

We get it. You think US coins are over-priced. You can stop saying it. We get it.

• Options
    MFeldMFeld Posts: 12,525 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Connecticoin said:

I’ve also seen and occasionally used the description “Gem circ”. I don’t think it necessarily has anything to do with just missing the next grade up.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2021 4:32AM

@MFeld said:

@Connecticoin said:

I’ve also seen and occasionally used the description “Gem circ”. I don’t think it necessarily has anything to do with just missing the next grade up.

Gem circ is harder to understand.

I take GEM to be exceptional. I could see all 58s being called Gem AU

For Gem circ, I'm not sure where to put the line. Is an XF45 a Gem circ? AU50? Still AU58?

• Options

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@Connecticoin said:

I take GEM to be exceptional. I could see all 58s being called Gem Unc.

For Gem circ, I'm not sure where to put the line. Is an XF45 a Gem circ? AU50? Still AU58?

I think there are exceptional circulated examples at all numerical grade levels - accurately graded in terms of wear, as well as exceptionally clean/problem free and pleasing to the eye.

Mark Feld* of Heritage Auctions*Unless otherwise noted, my posts here represent my personal opinions.

• Options
    edited April 26, 2021 3:51AM

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@Connecticoin said:

I think there are exceptional circulated examples at all numerical grade levels - accurately graded in terms of wear, as well as exceptionally clean/problem free and pleasing to the eye.

Yes there are. I thought those were called CAC ;)

I've never heard of Gem circ or say Gem XF or Gem Fair, but I'll look for them now.

• Options

@Zoins said:

@MFeld said:

@jmlanzaf said:

@MFeld said:

@Connecticoin said:

Yes there are. I thought those were called CAC ;)

I've never heard of Gem circ or say Gem XF or Gem Fair, but I'll look for them now.

Time for my own stickers. "GEM" Grade Excellence Monitoring

It'll be a diamond shaped sticker.

• Options
    orevilleoreville Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 26, 2021 1:29PM

When I first heard the term Gem Good from Laura 11 years ago I thought she was just trying to be humorous but also making a point.

We are very fortunate to have MFeld here to comment as he is also an exceptional grader having tremendous experience from being a grader for the grading services to being a dealer as well. While I have not bought numerous coins from MFeld in the past the onesI have purchased from him are among the most exceptional in my collection.

edited to correct typo. "grader" NOT graded!

A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,429 ✭✭✭✭✭

Beautiful coin, but now I want to see that GD4 dime!

peacockcoins

• Options

@oreville said:
    When I first heard the term Gem Good from Laura 11 years ago I thought she was just trying to be humorous but also making a point.

We are very fortunate to have MFeld here to comment as he is also an exceptional grader having tremendous experience from being a graded for the grading services to being a dealer as well. While I have not bought numerous coins from MFeld in the past the onesI have purchased from him are among the most exceptional in my collection.

Thank you very much, Robert. Considering some of the coins you own and have owned, I am truly honored.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file