Home Sports Talk
Options

https://nypost.com/2021/04/24/ravens-could-dump-lamar-jackson-in-radical-move-nfl-expert/amp/

2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

You guys called me crazy when I suggested this scenario before the season started last year.

In a nut shell the Ravens let Jackson walk and plug and play a rookie on a rookie contract for another 3 years. Sources say Jackson and the Ravens are worlds apart on contract negotiations.

W.C.Fields
"I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,048 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've thought about the Lamar Jackson situation a lot, and my opinion is that, I prefer to have a gunslinger with a big arm at quarterback. I just don't trust a running quarterback and Jackson is pretty small. That's just my opinion.

• Options
    perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭

Last year was a weird year with Covid, the year before in 2019 Lamar Jax was the hottest QB next to Mahomes. It’s possible Jax pups be done sooner rather than later in Baltimore but he could get hot again too

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,247 ✭✭✭✭✭

The Ravens should fire their GM if he just releases Jackson without getting any type of return for him especially when Lamar’s cap hit for 2021 is just over 3M. There would be plenty of teams interested if this were the case starting with NE.

• Options
    edited April 25, 2021 8:05AM

@erikthredd said:
    The Ravens should fire their GM if he just releases Jackson without getting any type of return for him especially when Lamar’s cap hit for 2021 is just over 3M. There would be plenty of teams interested if this were the case starting with NE.

I think the thoughts are a long term, picking up his “5th” year option. Josh Allen will certainly be signed to a long term contract long before that time comes ala Patrick Mahomes. But it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Jackson’s traded after this year.
    My opinion has always been the Ravens will beat bad teams, beat a few good teams but struggle in the playoffs with Jackson at QB. 1-3 playoff record and 3 points against Buffalo makes you contemplate $40M a year when option QB’s in college are as available as fries at McDonald’s.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@perkdog said:
    Last year was a weird year with Covid, the year before in 2019 Lamar Jax was the hottest QB next to Mahomes. It’s possible Jax pups be done sooner rather than later in Baltimore but he could get hot again too

Spend the $40M on everything else and draft another option QB. 10-13 wins a year puts butts in the seats. Maybe buy the best defense money can buy and win a Super Bowl 14-10.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    DarinDarin Posts: 6,331 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your link didn't really work for me. Huge lettering but unclickable.

• Options

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

I think the thoughts are a long term, picking up his “5th” year option. Josh Allen will certainly be signed to a long term contract long before that time comes ala Patrick Mahomes. But it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Jackson’s traded after this year.
    My opinion has always been the Ravens will beat bad teams, beat a few good teams but struggle in the playoffs with Jackson at QB. 1-3 playoff record and 3 points against Buffalo makes you contemplate $40M a year when option QB’s in college are as available as fries at McDonald’s.

Not wanting to pay him top 5 QB money is one thing but just just dumping him for nothing makes zero sense. Even with the 1-3 in the playoffs he’s still just 24yrs old and only a year removed from an MVP season, he’ll have plenty of teams that would either think he’s an upgrade to their current QB or be willing to develop him further.

Also that “40M” number is a bit misleading when the Ravens or some trade partner can pick up his 5th year option for 23M,then the following season at the very least could just franchise him for 25M. In that scenario he’d be paid about 51M total for the 2021,2022 & 2023 seasons combined.

• Options

His # is closer to $156M for 4 years, Dak Prescott #’s.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

Dak Prescott got paid after his fifth season,Baltimore still has two more years of control of Jackson at about 26M total. If the Ravens aren’t yet convinced that he’s their guy going forward then they still have plenty of time to find out before they have to pay him Prescott type money. Honestly, this article is pretty much nothing more than clickbait four days before the draft. Sure there’s a slim possibility that it could happen but it likely won’t,just like all of the Russell Wilson,Jimmy Garoppolo & Stephon Gilmore rumors.

• Options

@erikthredd said:
    Dak Prescott got paid after his fifth season,Baltimore still has two more years of control of Jackson at about 26M total. If the Ravens aren’t yet convinced that he’s their guy going forward then they still have plenty of time to find out before they have to pay him Prescott type money. Honestly, this article is pretty much nothing more than clickbait four days before the draft. Sure there’s a slim possibility that it could happen but it likely won’t,just like all of the Russell Wilson,Jimmy Garoppolo & Stephon Gilmore rumors.

I agree it’s just click bait. My point was I was saying this before last season. I think it makes sense if Baltimore feels Jackson can’t get them over the hump and IMO he can’t.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

@2dueces said:

@erikthredd said:

I agree it’s just click bait. My point was I was saying this before last season. I think it makes sense if Baltimore feels Jackson can’t get them over the hump and IMO he can’t.

Honestly,I think it would be too soon to entirely give up on him. Where they don’t have to make that long term decision yet financially, outside of picking up his 5th year option, it might be smarter to invest in better passing targets to surround him with. If signing an injury riddled Sammy Watkins is their big move then they’re not going to be much better on offense,their 020 Wr core was comparable to the guys Cam was throwing to in NE,imo.
    I’d grab the best available WR with one of their 1st and maybe even again with one of their two 3rds or two 4ths.

Anyways, with the draft just a few days away we’ll see soon enough if they decide to make any big changes. Now I should probably go shower in disinfectant after spending two days defending the Ravens organization. ;)