Home Sports Talk
Options

Matthew Slater - Special teams beast

doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love watching these guys do their thing. If you have a few minutes, grab a snack, perhaps a brownie, and enjoy this video.

Comments

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

Steve Tasker was the very best and should be in the HOF. If a punter can be elected, Steve deserves it too.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options
    stevekstevek Posts: 27,771 ✭✭✭✭✭

That player just has an innate nose for the football. I don't think you can teach that.

He also has superb open field tackling abilities which can be taught, and he does it phenomenally well.

I used to play on special teams in High School and really enjoyed it. I had nowhere close to the tackling ability of that guy, but i wasn't bad either. One thing i learned by accident, is if in doubt and you're not sure that you can make the arm tackle, rather than lunge and miss, just run into the player as hard as ya can, and chances are he will go down. If he didn't go down, it would at least slow him up considerably, and then a teammate could pick him off.

How i learned this by accident, early in my High School "career" (LOL), on a kickoff on special teams. The ball was in the air and the opponent was on around the ten yard line. I ran down the field totally untouched, i'm in full stride as he caught the ball. Well i hit him hard while trying to make an arm tackle but he slipped out of my hands. So I'm lying there in the dirt for a few seconds, my face away from the play, embarrassed as yell for missing the tackle, and thinking how do i get up and mosey on to the sidelines without being noticed. Well i stand up and a moment later my teammates come up to me and congratulate me for making a nice tackle, and for a millisecond i was a bit confused. I mean i didn't make the tackle, right? Turns out yes the player slipped out of my grip, but the hard hit caused him to stumble and he fell around five or so years from the play, of which i didn't see that happen. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:
    That player just has an innate nose for the football. I don't think you can teach that.

He also has superb open field tackling abilities which can be taught, and he does it phenomenally well.

I used to play on special teams in High School and really enjoyed it. I had nowhere close to the tackling ability of that guy, but i wasn't bad either. One thing i learned by accident, is if in doubt and you're not sure that you can make the arm tackle, rather than lunge and miss, just run into the player as hard as ya can, and chances are he will go down. If he didn't go down, it would at least slow him up considerably, and then a teammate could pick him off.

How i learned this by accident, early in my High School "career" (LOL), on a kickoff on special teams. The ball was in the air and the opponent was on around the ten yard line. I ran down the field totally untouched, i'm in full stride as he caught the ball. Well i hit him hard while trying to make an arm tackle but he slipped out of my hands. So I'm lying there in the dirt for a few seconds, my face away from the play, embarrassed as yell for missing the tackle, and thinking how do i get up and mosey on to the sidelines without being noticed. Well i stand up and a moment later my teammates come up to me and congratulate me for making a nice tackle, and for a millisecond i was a bit confused. I mean i didn't make the tackle, right? Turns out yes the player slipped out of my grip, but the hard hit caused him to stumble and he fell around five or so years from the play, of which i didn't see that happen. LOL

I had no idea you were such a hard hitting beast on the field Steve. I must admit, I'm a bit intimidated by your presence now.

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options

@erikthredd said:
    Steve sounds like he’s reliving his Vince Papale dream. ;)
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-n08-Pgh0Lk

Oh my goodness, I'm scared of stevek now.

• Options

Please don't beat me up Steve, I'm just an innocent dragon.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

I had no idea you were such a hard hitting beast on the field Steve. I must admit, I'm a bit intimidated by your presence now.

Our fraternity used to occasionally party with the football fraternity at Penn State. At the time, the football players and the students shared the same weight room, and they recognized me from being in there a lot.

At the parties, when there weren't many girls around, and things got boring, we'd start arm wrestling and I used to beat all of them.

They suggested i try out for the team as a walk-on, but i only had one problem. My 40 was timed with an hour glass. Paterno would have cut me before i crossed the finish line. LOL

• Options

@erikthredd said:

If only i was two seconds faster in the 40 yard dash. LOL

• Options

@doubledragon said:
    Please don't beat me up Steve, I'm just an innocent dragon.

I'm not a fighter. Up at Penn State, I put on the boxing gloves a few times, and me and some fraternity brothers sparred around a little bit. Damn, those punches hurt - that was enough for me. LOL

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Our fraternity used to occasionally party with the football fraternity at Penn State. At the time, the football players and the students shared the same weight room, and they recognized me from being in there a lot.

At the parties, when there weren't many girls around, and things got boring, we'd start arm wrestling and I used to beat all of them.

They suggested i try out for the team as a walk-on, but i only had one problem. My 40 was timed with an hour glass. Paterno would have cut me before i crossed the finish line. LOL

Arm wrestling, now there's a blast from the past. I used to arm wrestle in high school, it became a sort of hobby for me. I became obsessed with it after watching the Sylvester Stallone movie "Over the Top". Great memories.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Arm wrestling, now there's a blast from the past. I used to arm wrestle in high school, it became a sort of hobby for me. I became obsessed with it after watching the Sylvester Stallone movie "Over the Top". Great memories.

Last time i did it, was at a wedding reception, i was around 35 years old and far from the great shape i was in at college. Actually a good customer of mine who was also invited to the wedding, he was a bull, we were sitting at the same table, and we were somewhat drunk, and we decided to arm wrestle for some inexplicable reason.

Well it was the toughest match of my life. It lasted for minutes, and nobody could get the other one down. Finally he acquiesced, and let go of the grip.

Well about a day later i developed brutal tendinitis in my elbow which lasted for a few days. My arm wrestling days were then officially over.

• Options

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Last time i did it, was at a wedding reception, i was around 35 years old and far from the great shape i was in at college. Actually a good customer of mine who was also invited to the wedding, he was a bull, we were sitting at the same table, and we were somewhat drunk, and we decided to arm wrestle for some inexplicable reason.

Well it was the toughest match of my life. It lasted for minutes, and nobody could get the other one down. Finally he acquiesced, and let go of the grip.

Well about a day later i developed brutal tendinitis in my elbow which lasted for a few days. My arm wrestling days were then officially over.

The last time I arm wrestled was probably in high school. I was pretty decent at arm wrestling, but of course there was always the kids that were much more stronger than me. Surprisingly, arm wrestling can be a dangerous sport. I was watching videos on YouTube one day, and I came across a video of two guys arm wrestling and one guys arm gave in to the force and his arm bone just snapped. Ever since seeing that video I refuse to arm wrestle ever again. I cringe just thinking about all of those matches I participated in.

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

I was somewhat between a nerd and a wimp in high school. Bullies liked to pick on me. I'd hear insults hurled at me on the walk out of the building. I'd hang my head and keep walking. My friends (what few I had) asked why I didn't at least talk back instead of hanging my head and keep walking. One day I had all I could take. When the insults came I turned and said "that's enough. Stop it." Oh, you want to fight do you? was the reply. I was told to take off my glasses. I thought I should have just kept walking. As soon as I handed my glasses to my friend I got punched with a right hand. I must have had adrenalin flowing because I didn't really feel it, my face only felt a little numb. I took a mighty swing but missed. I was out of position and got hit on the other side of my face. That one HURT. I backed up to avoid another punch then took another mighty swing. Missed again. I then got several punches to the gut. I was starting to get a little angry. and threw a punch which only grazed the target. I took another to the face. This time I didn't throw a punch standing on my back foot. I stepped forward and threw a straight to the nose punch. I CONNECTED.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oh I forgot. Let me tell you guys. She went down.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options

@Brick said:

I left my "Like" up because i bought it. LOL> @doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

The last time I arm wrestled was probably in high school. I was pretty decent at arm wrestling, but of course there was always the kids that were much more stronger than me. Surprisingly, arm wrestling can be a dangerous sport. I was watching videos on YouTube one day, and I came across a video of two guys arm wrestling and one guys arm gave in to the force and his arm bone just snapped. Ever since seeing that video I refuse to arm wrestle ever again. I cringe just thinking about all of those matches I participated in.

That happened with me one time. I'm at work after hours around 6:00 in the evening getting caught up with some paperwork. And me and a co-worker decide to arm wrestle, again for some inexplicable reason. He knew i was good at it, and he had been weight lifting for awhile and he challenged me.

Well this guy i guess was around 5' 7", strong guy but i had a weight advantage and i knew he would be no competition. So anyway we start the match, he's going full bore, and i'm maybe at 1/4 capacity and i just decide to toy with him. I even let him put my arm down a little bit to make him think he's winning, because i can pin him quickly anytime at will.

After around thirty seconds, I'm just smiling at him, and he's looking at me and getting really hissed off at me smiling at him. No problem that's just arm wrestling fun. But suddenly i hear a "snap" sound from his arm, sounded almost like a dry stick snapping, and i looked at his face, and his facial expression was a combination of surprise and pain.

He was a tough guy, didn't cry or anything. We took him to the emergency room at the local hospital, and they put his arm in a cast. Again, tough guy, he didn't miss a day of work for the entire time his arm was in the cast. Some of his duties at work required manual labor, and he still successfully did it as best he could with the one arm.

• Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

@stevek said:

@erikthredd said:

If only i was two seconds faster in the 40 yard dash. LOL

My brother had a major league arm as a catcher and could hit a ball out of sight. But he was timed in the 60 with a calendar. Sound familiar? 😂

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@stevek said:

@Brick said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

That happened with me one time. I'm at work after hours around 6:00 in the evening getting caught up with some paperwork. And me and a co-worker decide to arm wrestle, again for some inexplicable reason. He knew i was good at it, and he had been weight lifting for awhile and he challenged me.

Well this guy i guess was around 5' 7", strong guy but i had a weight advantage and i knew he would be no competition. So anyway we start the match, he's going full bore, and i'm maybe at 1/4 capacity and i just decide to toy with him. I even let him put my arm down a little bit to make him think he's winning, because i can pin him quickly anytime at will.

After around thirty seconds, I'm just smiling at him, and he's looking at me and getting really hissed off at me smiling at him. No problem that's just arm wrestling fun. But suddenly i hear a "snap" sound from his arm, sounded almost like a dry stick snapping, and i looked at his face, and his facial expression was a combination of surprise and pain.

He was a tough guy, didn't cry or anything. We took him to the emergency room at the local hospital, and they put his arm in a cast. Again, tough guy, he didn't miss a day of work for the entire time his arm was in the cast. Some of his duties at work required manual labor, and he still successfully did it as best he could with the one arm.

My god man, I would have passed out if my arm snapped like that. He's one tough guy, I can barely stand to watch something like that happen on video. I've been lucky enough to have never broken any bones. The worst I've had happen is bruised ribs, and that was pretty painful. No sprains, no breaks, I've been lucky so far. I'll never arm wrestle again after hearing these horror stories.

• Options

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@Brick said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

My god man, I would have passed out if my arm snapped like that. He's one tough guy, I can barely stand to watch something like that happen on video. I've been lucky enough to have never broken any bones. The worst I've had happen is bruised ribs, and that was pretty painful. No sprains, no breaks, I've been lucky so far. I'll never arm wrestle again after hearing these horror stories.

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@Brick said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

@doubledragon said:

@stevek said:

Same here, I've been lucky and never broken a bone. But i can think of two other times i've been there when it happened to others. One time during one of our our high school football games, a teammate playing running back, broke his leg on a play. Another time a classmate broke his toe just fooling around in gym class.

I'm not sure, but i think as a survival mechanism, the body goes into somewhat a state of shock and lessens or even eliminates the pain. You mentioned lions in another thread. You see those animal videos on Youtube, and the lions are eating their prey alive and sometimes it's like the prey animals are just sitting there taking it with no problem. Perhaps because the animal doesn't understand the concept of death, and there is little to no pain. The poor antelope probably figures it will go to sleep, and then wakeup in a few hours and go back to grazing.

• Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

As a Patriots fan, thank you DoubleD for starting this thread.

Reading through it now, I have gone on a wild journey.

The movie Over the Top finds it's way into conversation in the thisistheshow household from time to time.

And @stevek It is interesting that you tell this story about work and the broken bone. I once worked a job where some guys liked to arm wrestle before work. And I never got involved, because I thought to myself if I break my arm while arm wrestling at work, my wife is going to kill me...