Home Sports Talk
Options

2021 NFL Draft Discussion

perkdogperkdog Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

I’m curious as to how you guys see the draft panning out after Lawrence goes #1 overall. I think everyone will agree that Wilson will be going to the Jets but after that what are the scenarios?

Comments

• Options
    erikthredderikthredd Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2021 8:05AM

I don’t know much about any of these players but I’ve been seeing NE mentioned a lot about possibly drafting Mac Jones or Trey Lance after Lawrence,Wilson & Fields all go early. Who’s the better fit of the two in NE? Any comparisons to current/former QBs? Would Bill need to move up to guarantee getting one or could someone fall to 15?

If BB does draft a QB early I’m hoping with their next pick that he gets the best available WR on the board. They could also use another starting caliber LB as well as Off/Def line depth but those picks really depend on whether Bill moves up for a QB.

I’ve also read plenty of rumors about Garoppolo possibly getting traded here and others about Gilmore heading out. It will be interesting to see if either happen and what it would mean for NE’s salary cap.

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Like you said, Lawrence definitely goes as the first pick, Wilson as the second. It is going to be fun to see how things play out after this. I've been paying attention to what is being said, and a few weeks ago Mel Kiper had a prediction of Justin Fields going to the Patriots. I've also heard the Atlanta Falcons might try to draft a successor to Matt Ryan. According to CBS Sports, this is what the majority of mock drafts look like for the top 15:

1. Trevor Lawrence - Jaguars
    2. Zach Wilson - Jets
    3. Mac Jones - 49ers
    4. Trey Lance - Falcons
    5. Penei Sewell - Bengals
    6. Ja'Marr Chase - Dolphins
    7. Justin Fields - Patriots
    8. Kyle Pitts - Panthers
    9. Micah Parsons - Broncos
    10. Patrick Surtain II - Cowboys
    11. Jaylen Waddle - Giants
    12. Devonta Smith - Eagles
    13. Rashawn Slater - Chargers
    14. Jaelan Phillips - Vikings
    15. Jaycee Horn - Lions
  • Options
    2dueces2dueces Posts: 6,252 ✭✭✭✭✭

This will be the most watched draft in history. Not only has it become popular it’s loaded with 1st round QB’s.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

Justin Fields announced he has epilepsy. Any down side? Remember at one time there was a debate who would be drafted first, Lawrence or Fields.

W.C.Fields
    "I spent 50% of my money on alcohol, women, and gambling. The other half I wasted.
  • Options

@2dueces said:
    This will be the most watched draft in history. Not only has it become popular it’s loaded with 1st round QB’s.

I’d say this draft is a definite close to being pretty hyped like the Mayfield, Allen draft class. We got another 5 QB’s that should go in the first round. Solid top 3 WR’s as well

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

Vikings, offensive line, offensive line, offensive line. Guys that can pass block, PLEASE!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

One name I’ve been seeing lately linked to the Pats is Florida QB Kyle Trask,would he be a good later round pick for them if BB can’t move into the top 10 and SF holds onto Garoppolo? One mock draft I read has them taking DeVonta Smith at 15 and Trask with their 3rd rounder.

There are also rumors that BB is offering to include Gilmore in a trade up into the top 10. Between his 16m 2021 cap hit and BB’s reluctance to trade future 1st round picks I’d be surprised to see it happen. Miami had to give up #12, a 4th this year and their first next year to go from 12 to 6 so I think that would be probably be the starting point for NE’s offer.

• Options

I would love to see Buffalo draft TE Kyle Pitts out of Florida. All reports are he’s a freak athlete. I think the price would be too steep even for Buffalo though because reports are 2022 draft choices are like gold now. It with KC assembling one of the best OL’s and the best talent in the skilled positions, Buffalo needs to do as much as possible to keep up. Maybe Zack Ertz as he will be out of Philly by Thursday

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

Teams passing on Fields are going to regret it. I don't get it.

• Options

@ringer said:
    Teams passing on Fields are going to regret it. I don't get it.

Drafting QB’s is such a crap shoot. Rumors are just that but those coming out about Fields were negative. Does it mean anything? Maybe, maybe not.
    Warren Sapp was tied to some false rumors about drugs. Unfounded and eventual HOFER.
    I can’t remember the rumors about Dan Marino. Drugs maybe? HOFER.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    BrickBrick Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

Rumors meant to scare teams away from drafting him. That way a team doesn't need to trade way up to get him. I expect he may wind up in New England.

Collecting 1960 Topps Baseball in PSA 8
    http://www.unisquare.com/store/brick/

Ralph

• Options
    dalstar66dalstar66 Posts: 51 ✭✭

All these mock drafts have most of the first round quarterbacks going in the top 5. Imo only 1-2 of them are worthy of a top 5 pick. My draft prediction Pitts, Sewell, and possibly Chase will all get drafted in the top 5 and in turn it'll slide some of the quarterbacks down the board.

Collecting Vintage Football - Rc's

1959 Topps Football need help finishing
  • Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,552 ✭✭✭✭✭

local radio guys this morning are convinced BB will trade for Jimmie G. I would rather trade up and draft a young QB that is preferably not made of glass.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options

@craig44 said:
    local radio guys this morning are convinced BB will trade for Jimmie G. I would rather trade up and draft a young QB that is preferably not made of glass.

I’d take either of those options but he better not trade out of the first entirely tomorrow night. If those five QBs go quick that will just mean that some really good players at other positions should slide to them at 15.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

I’d take either of those options but he better not trade out of the first entirely tomorrow night. If those five QBs go quick that will just mean that some really good players at other positions should slide to them at 15.

I hear you on trading out of the first round entirely. done that many times before. uggghh.

I also heard mention on radio that there has been talk about BB talking with Carolina to actually move up if a desired player is still available at number 8. that would be a shock for sure.

• Options

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

I hear you on trading out of the first round entirely. done that many times before. uggghh.

I also heard mention on radio that there has been talk about BB talking with Carolina to actually move up if a desired player is still available at number 8. that would be a shock for sure.

If a QB falls to 8 I think there’s a better chance of Denver moving up one spot for him than BB going there. Carolina gets their extra pick(s) and they’d still land the player they would have taken at 8 had they stayed.

• Options

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

@erikthredd said:

@craig44 said:

If a QB falls to 8 I think there’s a better chance of Denver moving up one spot for him than BB going there. Carolina gets their extra pick(s) and they’d still land the player they would have taken at 8 had they stayed.

So much for that thought lol, Teddy Bridgewater just traded to the Broncos.

• Options

I am getting really excited. cant wait for the draft.

I feel this way every year and inevitably, BB will trade this years 1st for a 3rd and 2 4ths in 2023.

but, this year will be different. right...

• Options

Carolina could potentially draft a QB or trade with the Patriots?

• Options

I think this year might be different just based off how aggressive they were in free agency. Not landing a QB through drafting/trade that they think could start for them at some point seems to go against all of the decisions they’ve made this offseason.

If I had to predict what they ultimately end up doing I’d say that they end up trading for Garoppolo over trading multiple first round picks for a rookie. SF just traded three years of 1st round picks plus a 3rd to get their guy and aren’t going to pay that price only to have him sit behind Jimmy.

The only scenario that I see BB trading up is if Jones or Lance start sliding. All of the BB loves Fields rumors just seem too much like a smokescreen when we never hear this type of stuff not to mention that Trey Lance won’t confirm or deny that he even had a video conference call with Belichick. I think they’re just waiting to see if one of the guys they covet falls in the pick range that they’d feel comfortable moving up to and if that doesn’t happen then they have a JG deal waiting on the back burner. If they do end up with Jimmy and have any reservations about his injury history then they could always just keep Cam as their backup.

• Options

There’s a new report that the Saints are trying to get into the top 10 for a QB too.
    Also the Jags are trying Tim Tebow out at TE lol.

• Options

Rodgers wanting out of Green Bay puts a whole new wrinkle into tonight.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

There could be 6 QB’s taken in the first round. Lawrence, Wilson, Fields, Jones, Lance, Mills or Trask...

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭

ATL, Rodgers, picks......I'm in.

• Options

Getting in that range where Bill might move up with two QBs still on the board.

• Options

Bill got his QB and didn’t have to give up any extra picks, Love it!

• Options

yeah boy, we got our QB and it isn't Jimmie G!!!

• Options

Mac feels the same way he practically just ran to get out on that stage lol. Hopefully tomorrow night they grab the best WR available when they finally pick.

• Options

I like Jones confidence. hope he is a fit. cannot believe he fell to 15

• Options

You gotta think that he knows everything about him by now just from talking with his buddy Nick Saban.

• Options
    VikingDudeVikingDude Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭
    edited April 29, 2021 7:34PM

I'd personally rather have a couple more higher draft picks than a lot of low ones. That is my biggest complaint about Rick Spielman as a GM.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,237 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VikingDude said:
    I'd personally rather have a couple more higher draft picks than a lot of low ones. That is my biggest complaint about Rick Spielman as a GM.

He passed on the potential all pro guard and did get a pretty highly rated tackle.

Still need someone to plug up the middle on passing plays.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

Some thoughts after round one...
    So much for GB possibly drafting a WR to appease Aaron Rodgers lol.
    Three teams drafted a WR that previously played with their current QB back in college.
    Ravens filled a big need by giving Lamar another WR.
    The Giants made out like bandits by trading back with Chicago.
    I’d be curious to hear what our resident Bears fan thinks of their trade up for Justin Fields.

• Options
    purduepetepurduepete Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I'd say that in a couple years, the Jets will regret passing over Fields to select Wilson.

Tom

Collecting: Topps 1952-79, Bowman 1952-55, OPC 1965-71, and Pre-War White Sox cards
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2021 2:13AM

I also can't believe Mac Jones fell to no. 15. You guys got a heck of a quarterback. I don't like the moves my cats are making. We go get Sam Darnold for a quarterback, and draft Jaycee Horn. I would rather have drafted a good quarterback like Mac Jones, I don't feel right about Darnold, maybe it's his stint with the Jets that makes me not trust him, but Mac Jones slid all the way to 15, we could have got him. I can see how our season is going to go already. Bad cat, bad stupid cat!

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 3:33AM

I need a list of QB’s from Alabama, Ohio State, UCLA and USC since 1980 that are in the HOF? How about multi pro bowls? Super Bowl wins?

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    thisistheshowthisistheshow Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭

@2dueces said:
    I need a list of QB’s from Alabama, Ohio State, UCLA and USC since 1980 that are in the HOF? How about multi pro bowls? Super Bowl wins?

Let's change the subject, okay?

What did you think about the Bills' pick? Did you want them to go defense?

• Options

@thisistheshow said:

@2dueces said:

Let's change the subject, okay?

What did you think about the Bills' pick? Did you want them to go defense?

Yes so happy the rumor of them trading up for RB was garbage. The Bills don’t have any glaring holes but the need a top pass rusher #1 on their needs. Next a CB across from White.
    Not having any glaring holes is a problem most nfl fans would love to have.

W.C.Fields
  • Options
    edited April 30, 2021 5:06AM

Justin Fields in Chicago should be interesting to folllow, it's rough on quarterbacks in Chicago.

• Options

@2dueces said:

How is any of that relevant to last night’s draft? A better question to ask is how many QBs from those schools has Bill Belichick drafted? One and he didn’t start a single game in college,Matt Cassel, yet BB & Josh McDaniels still went 10-5 with solid stats in his first season as starter.

Mac jones may someday lead NE to a championship or he could be out of of the league by the time his rookie deal ends but I’ll trust BB’s belief in his own system over QBs from those schools that have failed elsewhere.
    Your comment reminds me of all of the people that would show up after the NBA draft every year only to point out that Duke players never amount to much in the NBA once they leave Coach K’s “system.” That was supposedly a “thing” until it wasn’t,now they just pump out All stars in Kyrie,Tatum,Ingram & Zion.

• Options
    edited April 30, 2021 5:42AM

@erikthredd said:

@2dueces said:

How is any of that relevant to last night’s draft? A better question to ask is how many QBs from those schools has Bill Belichick drafted? One and he didn’t start a single game in college,Matt Cassel, yet BB & Josh McDaniels still went 10-5 with solid stats in his first season as starter.

Mac jones may someday lead NE to a championship or he could be out of of the league by the time his rookie deal ends but I’ll trust BB’s belief in his own system over QBs from those schools that have failed elsewhere.
    Your comment reminds me of all of the people that would show up after the NBA draft every year only to point out that Duke players never amount to much in the NBA once they leave Coach K’s “system.” That was supposedly a “thing” until it wasn’t,now they just pump out All stars in Kyrie,Tatum,Ingram & Zion.

It’s relevant because two QB’s came out of those schools in the 1st round, Fields and Jones. Both were surrounded by NFL talent. Jones was throwing to receivers open by 5 yards. Both could become HOF Super Bowl winners or holding clip boards in 2 years. My statement was the best QB’s in the NFL at this time came from programs other than the college power houses - Desean Watson at Clemson. No knock on these guys but I’m not a fan of drafting QBS from what you called systems. I wasn’t impressed with Mayfield or Josh Rosen in 2018 either. Time will tell.

W.C.Fields
  • Options

I’m thrilled we got Mac, I don’t like how he lacks pocket presence or should I say the lack of ability to escape out of the pocket but maybe he can learn that way in camp. I hope we go after a WR today at least.

• Options

I can't say I'm thrilled. I have hope. Ever since SF moved up, we've been bombarded with negative Mac Jones talk. So that is fresh on my mind. But I am keeping an open mind and see a lot of upside to this pick.

• Options

Well like I said, I’ll trust BB’s belief in his own system over some QB that failed elsewhere. On this very blog,for years we had people pointing out how QBs other than Brady (Cassel,JG,Brissett) were able to be plugged right into BB’s system and he’d still be able to win games with them. That changed with Cam but he was a horrible fit here and was more of a hoping for lightning in the bottle type move that didn’t pan out.

No one knows what will happen with this kid going forward but he just entered the best system at the highest level that just added a ton of offensive talent for him to throw to. All he’s gotta do is beat out Cam for the job and with Cam’s tendency to bounce passes under 10 yards then that shouldn’t be too hard.

• Options

I am thrilled to at least have some hope from the QB position. I had NONE last year with Cam. I think that an accurate passer like Mac who by all accounts seems to have a high football IQ will be able to be schemed around by Josh and BB.

They have the two TE's and a couple of decent WR. I think they will be able to utilize the short passing game with Mac.

• Options

I think QB was their one real need going into this draft and now BB can just draft for depth or BPA, although I wouldn’t mind seeing a WR & LB taken tonight or early tomorrow.

• Options

I'm hoping to hear about him getting into shape and working hard. The pic of him with the beer belly was something that stood out to me before the draft. And I say that in all seriousness. But I am definitely going to hope for the best. I am thrilled that he really seems to want to be a Patriot and that he seems to feel fortunate and perhaps motivated by falling further than he thought he would. I was super hesitant about Garoppolo. So this is so much better in my opinion.

All in all, I can't wait for September.

• Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 30, 2021 6:36AM

Falcons needed the TE but we're going to lose Julio, which I'm not all too keen on.

• Options

@thisistheshow said:
    I'm hoping to hear about him getting into shape and working hard.

>
    Is it too soon for someone to send Mac a copy of The TB12 Method yet? ;)

• Options

@DrBuster said:
    Falcons needed the TE but we're going to lose Julio, which I'm not all too keen on.

I am a bit out of the loop on why they are looking to trade Jones.