Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

And here I was expecting to be bored tonight when suddenly the wife-elf

Drops this on me. Said she got it from goodwill for $12. Looks like mid-late 80's to early 90s from a quick glance. But now I have something to do!

Maybe something in there. Who knows! Just be fun looking!

Comments

• Good luck! I'm about 2 for 10 in my thrift store finds like that. One was amazing, shoebox full of football cards, had most of an 86 set, including a rice rookie that ended up coming back an 8. Another one was a monster box of 4000 cards, mostly stars of the 80s and 90s. A lot of small dollar cards, but I think I paid $20 total for it. Let us know if there was anything amazing in there!

• ringerringer Posts: 342 ✭✭✭

This is weird because I read this as I’m walking out of a goodwill on my way home from work. No dice on cards today.

• PastaBoyPastaBoy Posts: 175 ✭✭✭
    edited April 22, 2021 6:19PM

Half way through just looking through teams, not sorting yet....lots and lots of rookie cards though (varous canseco, nomo, starwberry, baerga, colon, sabathia, carpenter, grissom, sid ferandez, jim abbot, and many others.) And found a '64 Perranowski and some '70 Mets Team and WS cards. So far oldest was the '64 There are mixes of some 70's and early 80's up through some later 90s. Quite varied really including minors cards and a Jim Abbott Team USA one.

• JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,171 ✭✭✭✭✭

Fun!

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • pab1969pab1969 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭

Damn! I was hoping this thread was photos of your wife dressed an elf. ;)

• GreenSneakersGreenSneakers Posts: 908 ✭✭✭✭
    • the original owner was anal enough to alphabetize the teams, even putting A’s behind Astros, but the Randolph rookie is listed under Padres?

Yeah was weird. Some mixing going on in there but mostly sorted by teams well enough. Anyway, whole lotta rookies going on in that box. I'll have to sort it better and make a list.

• picklepetepicklepete Posts: 414 ✭✭✭✭

For $12 !
    You owe her a nice dinner.
    Nice score.

@picklepete said:
    For $12 !
    You owe her a nice dinner.
    Nice score.

Got a nice surf.turf set to go -- but I make it at home. :)

Not to bore you all, but fun is fun! :smile: I said lots O' rookies and went through the A teams...here is the result from all those for rooks/prospects/draft pick cards. Kinda strange to paw through another's collection and see their "traits" though...

Angels;
    Chad Curtis: 1992 Upper Deck; 1992 Upper Deck Diamond Debuts; 1992 Flerr Ultra; 1992 Pinnacle
    Ramon Ortiz: 1999 Upper Deck
    Todd Green: 1997 Topps;
    Wally Joyner: 1987 Kraft Dinners Hometown Heroes (cutout - in A1 shape)
    Damion Easley: 1992 Score; 1992 Upper Deck; 1993 Fleer
    Jim Abbott: 1988 Topps Team USA; 1989 Upper Deck (x2) (pre-rookie ?); 1990 Bowman; 1990 Upper Deck (x2)
    Darrin Erstad: 1996 Upper Deck star rookie (x2); 1997 Pinnacle Inside '97
    Tim Salmon: 1992 Upper Deck Looss Coll.; 1993 Upper Deck Star Rookie (x3); 1993 Upper Dec star rook CL card (x2); 1993 Fleer; 1993 Leaf
    Eduardo Perez: 1992 Upper Deck top prospect
    Jarrod Washburn: 1996 draft pick
    Astros:
    Richard Hidalgo: 1996 Upper Deck star rook (reflector-ish front, haven't checked yet); 1996 Topps prospects (Coleman/Cruz/Hidalgo/Peterson) (x3); 1997 Topps prospects (Grieve/Hidalgo/Morgan) - strange 2 yrs no?
    Brian Hunter: 1995 Leaf Gold
    Jeff Juden: 1992 Upper Deck star rookie
    Joe Hesketh/Glenn Davis: 1985 Fleer ML prospects
    Luis Gonzalez: 1989 Star Comapny minors card (x2); 1991 Upper Deck
    A's:
    Jose Canseco: 1986 Sportflics; 1986 Donruss; 1986 Fleer; 1986 Donruss highlights ROY
    Scott Brosius: 1992 Pinnacle prospect; 1992 Upper Deck
    Eric Chavez/Adam Eaton: 1997 Topps draft picks;
    Tony Batista: 1997 Topps
    Scott Spiezo: 1996 Upper Deck diamond debuts
    Lance Blankenship: 1989 Upper Deck
    David Otto: 1989 Upper Deck (x2)
    Steve Karsay: 1994 Fleer Ultra
    Felix jose: 1989 Upper Deck
    Tim Belcher: 1985 Topps draft pick (x2);
    Mark Bellhorn: 1996 Topps draft pick (x3); 1997 Topps prospects; 1997 Upper Deck Diamond debuts
    Luis Polonia: 1987 Fleer (no ML stats?); 1988 Fleer
    Todd Van Poppel: 1992 Upper Deck; 1993 Leaf; 1991 Upper Deck to prospect; 1992 Donruss; 1992 Pinnacle

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

You got your value back in the '86 Donruss Canseco alone. Nice job.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

Early Canseco cards (couple 87), others from later years and various teams. Didn't know about 86 rook so thanks @ dontippet! Guess it and some others going in holders.

(only 300dpi)

On that note, TY dinner was served and successful! @picklepete :)

• dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭✭

Sorry to get your hopes up, but yours is the '86 Donruss the Rookies, which is like their traded or update set. I was talking about the 1986 Donruss base set card.

> [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.

@dontippet Haha. No worries on that count - just cards and fun. I'm learning lots just lurking around here. :)

• craig44craig44 Posts: 10,393 ✭✭✭✭✭

I love looking through collections like that. you just never know what the next card will be

George Brett, Bobby Orr and Terry Bradshaw.

I'm new to this (again) obviously and learning tons from you folks...changed all plans to sell and just been collecting I guess. Nothing worthy of April Pick-ups or anything like that, not yet buying graded, not yet sent any for grading...but dang, after my wife-elf found that I decided to go ahead and look at some online. Won a couple auctions for something looked like from same donated collection (closed card boxes no card images shown but noticed faint writing on box sides in 1 pic indicating late 80s/90s stuff) and were cheap since paid around $80 all told including shipping. Why not? I'm rebuilding and could use some of those to fill in things etc. So, I got them today and wasn't really expecting anything. But dang! Looks like I got more than fillers....

I wrote over original with darker pen, but all those are fully numbered, in order sets + extras (puzzles, trivia, variations) including the HOF cards far as I've seen (90 Donruss #4 Griffey ex.) Haven't done a deep dive but just from hunt-peck they are complete sets. And ones I didn't have in full yet. Crazy!
    Condition of cards is pristine to far as I've seen...all like...

Small beans and potatoes (add Rye whiskey!) to you lot but dang nice for my fledgling re-build. :)

edited May 6, 2021 5:42PM

(May as well keep my same thread going instead of a new one)
    Continuing my trek back - went ahead and spent 50 bucks on another of these mystery boxes and, dang, this one may be best yet. Wasn't really expecting much, but noticed some cards in Card Save IIs and these:

(They're full too with all cards and look new.)

So bought it...started poking through it today, mainly just the cards in savers and made my day! Best ones so far:

Plus there are football cards too...

And then there is a big stack of these taco bell basketball things...no clue WTF they are though. Looks like some promotion:

Anyone know off hand? Those are only 2 variations in stacks.

Still have loads to go through in that thing, but heck can't complain at all! Wasn't really expecting anything. Collection is growing! :)

• miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭✭✭

Those basketball ones are 1991-92 Hoops Team Night sheets.

@miwlvrn said:
    Those basketball ones are 1991-92 Hoops Team Night sheets.

Thanks for info miwlvrn!