Home Sports Talk
Options

Without Looking It Up.........

USSID17USSID17 Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭✭✭

.........what NHL player has an Olympic Gold Medal and a Stanley Cup ring in the same year?

Comments

• Options
    JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭

Morrow? I know he won 4 with the Islanders

m

Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

Brendan Shanahan

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    Morrow? I know he won 4 with the Islanders

m

That must have been to easy. Yes! We have a winner!

You're right, plus 4 straight Stanley Cups!

Thanks for playing!

• Options

Sorry Tabe.

• Options
    edited April 21, 2021 9:07PM

I skated at some of the same camps in Michigan as Ken Morrow. He was I think 5 years older then me. I did not realize that he accomplished this. I was 15 when the Islanders drafted him and I remember thinking how cool that was. I think he is still with the Islanders org

m

Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
  • Options

@Justacommeman said:
    I skated at some of the same camps in Michigan as Ken Morrow. He was I think 5 years older then me. I did not realize that he accomplished this. I was 15 when the Islanders drafted him and I remember thinking how cool that was. I think he is still with the Islanders org

m

Yep, absolutely! How cool is that. An Olympic Gold Medal and a Stanley Cup ring, not one but 4 rings in a row! Being from Long Island, the closest I ever got, was watching them play at the Nassau Coliseum all those years.

The Islanders were the redheaded step children of the NHL back them! The New York City press ("Ranger" focused sports press) couldn't stand us and the Islanders out on Long Island. We showed them!!

• Options
    edited April 21, 2021 10:50PM

You will enjoy this then. I used to play with and against John Vanbiesbrouck when we were pups For whatever reason I owned JVB. I lived in his head. I was his Morpheus. Youth hockey in Michigan in the 70's and 80's was intense especially when Compuware and Little Caesars started sponsoring. It's still pretty awesome . We have one family member in the NHL and I have a nephew that's a senior in HS (Troy, Mi) and he has a bright future. The pandemic has made things squirrely

I love the Ranger/ Islanders rivalry

I've showed this before but I'll share this as you as you seem someways new here from your post count. Peter Forsberg and myself. He has an unusually large melon and I have a pinhead

m

• Options

That's a great story Justacommeman!
    Thanks for sharing!

• Options
    edited April 22, 2021 12:30PM

@USSID17 said:
    Sorry Tabe.

I'm still right. Look it up. And add Steve Yzerman.

• Options
    GoldenageGoldenage Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ken Morrow was a great addition to that Islanders team, even though you guys were way offside in Game 6 at the Island. Lucky break that you needed because the Flyers would have won Game 7 back in Philly. Not a Flyers fan. Butch Goring was a great addition to those teams also. Guys like Merrick and Bourne was good too. Howatt pound for pound was a great fighter, as was Gillies, unless he was fighting Wilson.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2021 2:48PM

@Goldenage said:
    Ken Morrow was a great addition to that Islanders team, even though you guys were way offside in Game 6 at the Island. Lucky break that you needed because the Flyers would have won Game 7 back in Philly. Not a Flyers fan. Butch Goring was a great addition to those teams also. Guys like Merrick and Bourne was good too. Howatt pound for pound was a great fighter, as was Gillies, unless he was fighting Wilson.

Yes, absolutely. Let's not for get Billy Smith. He would use his stick on you in a New York minute to remind you he was there!!

Plus the Bossy Trottier line.

Those were the good old days on the Island!

• Options

@Tabe said:

@USSID17 said:
    Sorry Tabe.

I'm still right. Look it up. And add Steve Yzerman.

I did not realize that either

m

• Options

Brendan Shanahan and Steve Yzerman, Olympic Gold Medals and Stanley Cup rings in the same year?

I looked, I'm probably missing it. But I believe you.

• Options

1980 - Ken Morrow (New York Islanders, United States)

. 2002 - Brendan Shanahan and Steve Yzerman (Detroit, Canada)

2010 - Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook (Chicago, Canada)

Morrow was first but he has company

m

• Options

@Justacommeman said:
    1980 - Ken Morrow (New York Islanders, United States)

. 2002 - Brendan Shanahan and Steve Yzerman (Detroit, Canada)

2010 - Jonathan Toews, Duncan Keith, Brent Seabrook (Chicago, Canada)

Morrow was first but he has company

m

I knew that!!

• Options

@USSID17 said:
    Brendan Shanahan and Steve Yzerman, Olympic Gold Medals and Stanley Cup rings in the same year?

I looked, I'm probably missing it. But I believe you.

Yes, same year :)