Home Sports Talk
Options

MLB Injuries ~ I don't recall Aaron, Mays and Musial visiting the trainers room (womb) this often..

ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 21, 2021 8:12AM in Sports Talk

Soto, Betts, Bellinger, Yelich, Tatis, Acuna, Judge, Springer, Lux, Buxton ~ are players today as driven or are their thru the roof salaries causing every sprint to first base to be a management panic attack? ~too much muscle not enough flexibility? Too pampered an athlete today or has the sport just gotten too damn dangerous?? AM I being too alarming by hinting at an injury pandemic?

Comments

• Options
    craig44craig44 Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭✭

look at the influx of tommy john surgery and pitcher arm injuries. what this tells me is that every pitcher cannot be a 100% effort guy. there have been those throughout history. guys like walter johnson, Ryan, Seaver, Clemens, Johnson who can throw 100% for a long 20+ year career. however, those guys are few and far between.

for every Clemens you have guys like smokey joe wood, Feller, Koufax, Sam Mcdowell, Gooden, Thor, Harvey etc. who once threw very hard, 100%, but blew out their arms.

Modern guys are 100% effort all the time seeking velo, but the vast, vast majority will not have long 20+ year careers because for whatever physiological reason, their arms could not take the abuse.

It makes me wonder how many great pitchers get blown out in HS and college in the great quest for velo.

much of it is a ruse anyways. modern radar guns read "fast" compared to earlier ones as they record speed directly out of the hand. pitches reading 100 today would be 92-93 in the 70's and 80's and into the 90's.

when Ryan was clocked in the 70's at 100.9 MPH, the gun was reading between 8 and 10 feet from release. most figure you could add 8 MPH to that reading if taken at release.

George Brett, Roger Clemens and Tommy Brady.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    Soto, Betts, Bellinger, Yelich, Tatis, Acuna, Judge, Springer, Lux, Buxton ~ are players today as driven or are their thru the roof salaries causing every sprint to first base to be a management panic attack? ~too much muscle not enough flexibility? Too pampered an athlete today or has the sport just gotten too damn dangerous?? AM I being to alarming by hinting at an injury pandemic?

Watching Buxton, when he plays, is wonderful. He could be the most talented player in MLB.

We'll never know.

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options

@JoeBanzai said:

@ScoobyDoo2 said:
    Soto, Betts, Bellinger, Yelich, Tatis, Acuna, Judge, Springer, Lux, Buxton ~ are players today as driven or are their thru the roof salaries causing every sprint to first base to be a management panic attack? ~too much muscle not enough flexibility? Too pampered an athlete today or has the sport just gotten too damn dangerous?? AM I being to alarming by hinting at an injury pandemic?

Watching Buxton, when he plays, is wonderful. He could be the most talented player in MLB.

We'll never know.

I remember hearing tons about buxton when he was in the minors. I don't closely follow the twins, is it mostly an injury thing with him, or was his talent overhyped? I had heard he could have been an Eric Davis type.

• Options
    HydrantHydrant Posts: 7,773 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

>

It makes me wonder how many great pitchers get blown out in HS and college in the great quest for velo.

It's very common. Also, young kids with talent and the potential to become professional should never throw any type of breaking pitch. It's not necessary. More important to learn how to hit different spots in the strike zone. Pitch velocity is way overrated.

• Options

@Hydrant said:

@craig44 said:

>

It's very common. Also, young kids with talent and the potential to become professional should never throw any type of breaking pitch. It's not necessary. More important to learn how to hit different spots in the strike zone. Pitch velocity is way overrated.

this is correct. velo is overrated. 93 with movement is much tougher than straight 99

• Options
    ScoobyDoo2ScoobyDoo2 Posts: 839 ✭✭✭✭✭

The SF Giants are off to a start that is exceeding expectations.... yet they are hitting .212 as a team as of this morning~ and if you subtract HR's they are a .172 hitting team..... Ballplayers are getting jacked up for homers ~ getting slower and tighter... are subsequently less flexible and pulling every muscle in their bodies in any kind of high stress situation.... sprinting to 1st ~ Segura and Alfaro just went down yesterday, swinging high velocity ~ Tatis, Judge (every 3rd game) etc etc ..... the % of at bats where there is no putting the ball into the field of play (excluding round trippers) is 37% ( K's, Walks, HR's, HBP's) Makes for an awfully one dimensional snooze fest where HR's are all that matters.

• Options
    LandrysFedoraLandrysFedora Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@Hydrant said:

@craig44 said:

>

this is correct. velo is overrated. 93 with movement is much tougher than straight 99

93 with movement is even tougher if the pitcher has a slider/changeup with a 10mph differential he can play that 93 off of. and as for that 99, either straight or with movement is no joke, but when the best professional hitters are expecting it at that velocity and it's coming in straight they can time it so much easier. Movement and location are always key along with a deceptive arm motion where pitches are not telegraphed. Walker Buehler comes to mind. He's got such a simple fluid arm motion from pitch to pitch which rarely changes.

• Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,936 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

When I was coaching high school, we had a top pitching prospect (who eventually made the majors). Before one of our games, I was talking to the group of scouts that had shown up and we got to talking about velocity. And their sentiment went like this: "88 in high school is 94 in the majors; 94 in high school is 88 in the majors" - the idea being that you wreck your arm if you throw too hard in high school. In the case of our guy, even though he made the majors, he lost velocity. He was consistently 93+ in high school, hitting 96 on occasion. In the majors, he was at 90.

• Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,280 ✭✭✭✭✭

@craig44 said:

@JoeBanzai said:

@ScoobyDoo2 said:

We'll never know.

I remember hearing tons about buxton when he was in the minors. I don't closely follow the twins, is it mostly an injury thing with him, or was his talent overhyped? I had heard he could have been an Eric Davis type.

This guy is not human. He can hit the ball 400+ feet and is probably the best defensive centerfielder in basball! Absolute unbelievable speed.

He's finally hitting the ball, which is what he was having problems with. He was once a switch hitter, now bats just right handed.

Hurt ALL THE TIME.

Watch a Twins game (hopefully he won't be injured again) if you get a chance, you will see the ability.

I almost full season out of 6 isn't what we thought we were getting. :-(

2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    fiveninerfiveniner Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭
    edited April 23, 2021 8:43AM

Back in the day you played unless you had broken bones Now if they get little boo boo it’s 10 days off with pay. May I add the Mick rarely missed a game and had very bad legs.

Tony(AN ANGEL WATCHES OVER ME)
  • Options
    Mickey71Mickey71 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭✭

Lots of PEDs I suspect