Home Sports Talk
Options

How would Steph Curry be viewed if he played his entire career with....

SanctionIISanctionII Posts: 11,732 ✭✭✭✭✭

the Knicks, Celtics or Lakers?

He has played at a very high level this month and a number of sports TV and Radio hosts opine that he is not on par with his peers.

Does he get shade thrown at him because he plays for the Warriors (a franchise that previously had a history of futility).

Comments

• Options
    doubledragondoubledragon Posts: 23,049 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'll say one thing about Steph Curry, he is the greatest shooter I've ever seen.

• Options
    galaxy27galaxy27 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 20, 2021 4:08PM

sanction i don't think him playing exclusively for the Warriors will make a lick of difference. he already has multiple rings, multiple MVPs, and various other accolades out the wazoo. when the dust settles, Curry will be the best pure shooter to ever play the game. and even though he is now 33, his skill set will age gracefully, à la Ray Allen and Reggie Miller. barring injury he has at least another handful of productive years, and by that time his numbers will be off the charts.

• Options
    AhmanfanAhmanfan Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭✭

Wonder if he will transition to a more static shooting guard as his athleticism wanes. He could eek out another Couple productive years similar to a designated hitter.

Collecting
    HOF SIGNED FOOTBALL RCS
  • Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

This is kind of line penalizing Tom Brady for playing for the Patriots who were a team that had a history of futility.

• Options

Only 4 replies to this thread so far.

Shows how basketball currently has minimal interest among Sports Forum participants. Not surprising.

Funny thing is, no one who replied answered the question posed.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2021 1:23PM

you actually asked multiple questions, and i directly answered one of them. i have yet to hear one person say about Curry, "oh, but it's for the Warriors....."

have you?

kinda ridiculous, seeing as he has accomplished everything there is to accomplish in the game (which i pointed out)...............all while playing for Golden State.

as far as the Knicks, Lakers or Celtics question is concerned, the only change is that his name would shine as brightly as Sirius instead of the Sun due to those franchises being the largest markets in the league. but as it stands, does Curry suffer from a lack of notoriety? surely you jest.

• Options

Galaxy27.

No doubt Curry is an all time great. However listening to and watching various sports media results in me hearing various persons making statements that throw shade at him (this happens with all sports greats to one extent or another).

I just wonder whether those who are critical of him would view him differently if he played for one of the big market teams I listed.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2021 1:14PM

what are they critical of exactly? need some context.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2021 3:10PM

That he is not as good as other guards such as Damian Lillard, that he is not big enough and not strong enough as a player, that he is a prima donna, that he is a poor defender, that while very talented he is not a player who can lead a team to a championship, etc.

• Options
    edited April 22, 2021 2:53PM

sanction it sounds to me like those kinds are trashed off haterade. in addition to what i mentioned up above, Steph is leading the league in scoring this season and 5th in PER at age 33, with .486/.425/.922 splits. help me out here, does that suck? :D

as far as defense is concerned, i'll agree that Curry leaves a lot to be desired on that end of the court. but i sure as hell don't see any all-defensive first or second team awards on Lillard's resume either. and if being a leader of men to the tune of a championship is that important to them, then why are DL's fingers bare?

better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt

• Options
    ArtVandelayArtVandelay Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭

It's rather funny that the knock-on Steph is that he has not won the Finals MVP. He's averaged 27 points per game, 6 rebounds, 6 assist in his 28 finals games.